Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

1985 Kohler 7.5 R27 raw water circulating pump maker?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Captain Dave, Aug 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

Westerly RI. Pawcatuck River, w Little Narraganse
    Hello
    Looking for help with the above water pump. Trying to find out who made the engine water circulating pump for Kohler 7.5 R27 ? The bearing is shot... They don't make a replacement... the bearing appears to be 2 in 1
    If i can find out who made the pump maybe i can get info on find a bearing to replace and keep the old girl going. I know Kohler made this generator in 1984. this is the raw water version style.
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you
    Dave
  2. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

Well,,,,took the pump to a bearing supply company... they checked it out with measurements.... its an odd ball size unlike anything they can find to replace it,
    Any way this pump can be retrofitted with another style pump?
    This is crazy... Great generator... then they stop production... and cant get vital parts!
    Any advice other then buy a new geni
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Keep searching old threads here on YF. I remember a thread that explained these were ford motors and some parts were still available. Think it was the mag drive gear in topic.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check with Depco pump and see if you can match it up. Another option is to look at the impellor and see who sells it (jabsco, sherwood, etc.) then look on that manufacturers website of waterpumps. Back then, most generator manufacturers just sourced the raw water pump from someone else. If that fails talk to a kohler dealer and they should have a new one and retrofit kit if it's different.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Have you spoken with Kohler? If so, what did they say? And I don't mean a dealer, I mean corporately through the contact form on their website and/or a call.
  6. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

If you are looking for the engine circulating pump I have a used one taken off my Kohler. It was used with coolant and was still working fine when I pulled it off a couple years ago. My local Kohler dealer had quite a large stock of parts for those discontinued generators as they were quite popular in the local marine community, but, when they told me that they had the last waterpump in the Kohler parts system and when it is gone there ain't no more. I said "give it to me!" They were quite sure there were no more to be made.
    The only place that I was able to find that has a lot of obsolete Kohler parts is Wavetop Technology. They have a lot of stuff you will not find anywhere.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Outstanding Robertoman!!
    Another great friend to have on YF.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Also; Remember the exhaust riser recall. If your keeping your 7.5R gas gen-set, ensure it's up to rev.
  9. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

Well.....contacted Jim at Wavetop... sorry don't have that pump he said contact Kellogg Automotive in AZ.
    Kellogg Automotive - Water Pump Rebuilding - Water Pump Parts - Obsolete Parts Manufacture

But i did call Kohler.... and after being told i have to deal with a certified Distributor Rep for info.... I replied they told me to junk it.! she said hang on a minute....she gave me a number to one of there retired tech reps 30 years with Kolher.. he still works one them out of his home in WI. His name is
    Edwin Wright ... I called him and he said yes... he had bearings and seals to rebuild it,!!!! found MY Pot of Gold !!!! I mailed it out last Friday. waiting to hear back to confirm he can save it.
    He knows his S##t About Kolher Generators. Great Guy to talk to.
    He knows all the people at Wavetop... they all work together on find old parts.
    I can provide a contact number thru a email if anyone needs to contact him.
    Dave
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Luv to hear good news. Please keep us up.

However, this may be a sing of things to come;
    Maybe time to start saving those pennies, dimes and Bens up...