Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

1985-1990 Viking 48' Sport fish

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Seafarer1, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Seafarer1

Seafarer1 New Member

I would like some educated advice on a 48' Viking Sportfish
    I will be down in the Stuart, Palm Beach areas looking at a couple of these vessels the week of March 8th thru March 17th or longer.
    I hope to find one that has the main engines rebuilt and the entire vessel in good shape, set up and ready to run. Can anyone tell me what kind of fuel burn these vessels get with the 8V92TA in them. In different situations like slow troll, fast troll, and cruise speeds.
    I am interested in a 52'Hatteras with the same engines in it as well.
    My problem is that I have never been on either of these vessels while at sea, to see and feel how they operate and handle at sea and around the docks.
    So I am really not sure what is the best vessel of the two.
    Anyone care to elaborate on this.
    Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Hatteras is the better running boat, but I'd look for a 52' with 12v71 TIs. Either SF will burn about 4 gph at slow troll, 8-10gph at fast troll and about 60-65gph at cruise.

The Viking runs too flat and is wet and pounds a little. But is a well built boat. I think they stretched the 41' hull which rode a bit too bow high, but soft and pretty dry. The Hatteras rides/runs better IMO.