Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Mulder

1984 26' Bertram convertible

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by pistol pete, Aug 24, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. pistol pete

pistol pete New Member

Hey I'm looking for some advise. I have twin 265 crusaders and want to re power with small blocks is this a good idea or do i need to stick with the sixes, The boat is like new, so it is worth the investment to me, looking for some help with this, Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm assuming you are stating you have the old straight 6 cylinder Chevy blocks and asking if Small block v-8 would work? Also assuming inboard vs, stern drive. If your stern drive you have to stay with the slim blocks.
    IMO, the ole 6s produce more torque than a 305 v-8. 350 v-8 matches the torque and exceeds the hp. If you have the room (sure you do on I/B design) it would work.
    However, support on those ole 6s will be around still for a long time.

So, the old questions. What's wrong with what you have? OR, do you just want to go faster and consume more fuel?

Hi-tech v-8s look cool. Mostly reliable. Those 6's were a work horse and hard to kill.
    Now, invest in a pair of diesels (will fit) and you have an investment that will pay near and at resale.
  3. pistol pete

pistol pete New Member

Thanks for getting back to me. They are V6 and they are the original so it is time. I would also like to pick up some speed.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well then, all you need is another 5 inches forward. I think same mounting pads.
    How 'bout the diesel idea?
  5. pistol pete

pistol pete New Member

Didn't give diesel much thought. Would there be a weight issue. And I'm sure there would be a big cost difference.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I can't imagine the up side of putting diesels in a 26' at 30K + each. Besides never getting the investment back it could actually hinder resale by making it incomparable to others on the market.
  7. pistol pete

pistol pete New Member

I agree. I think I'm going with new 6's I will pick some horse power at the prop and most likely pick up some speed. And hopefully be trouble free for a few years. If that is possible.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's a boat. Trouble was built in at the factory.
    However newer diesels are not that much heaver but will cost allot more, Maybe not 30k each but allot more. NYCAPT makes a good point also about resale comparables and must be considered with other questions; Is this a high hour boat? You gonna keep her a while or flip her soon. There are some more questions and money balances if your thinking short/long/hours/resale/keeper/ yada, yada.

Yep new V-6s or 8s could be fun, fast and cheaper, but keep your options open if your high hour or a keeper.

AND, Keep us up on what you decide with progress reports. We all learn here.
  9. Boats99

Boats99 New Member

Did you ever replace the engines?
    What kind of performance did you have on the sixes? I am looking at buying one and would like your thoughts on them.