Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

1982 Post 42. What should i look for?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by sheraton, Apr 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sheraton

sheraton Member

Looking at a 82 42' POST , with 6-71ti for power. Looking for some insight on what to look for from owners from around that year boat. I have owned a POST before , a 1968 37', but this is totally different.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Check the fuel tanks very carefully. That age Post is notorious for leaking tanks.
  3. shawn

shawn New Member

The aft bulkhead in the corners for rot. Check the welds on the tanks. The top of the aft tank if it had a chair. Check under the windows with a mosture meter. If you find any small hairline cracks on the cabin top or the deck, check with mosture meter as well. Under the pulpit is a problem with water. There great boats had mine for 20yrs.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hey Sheraton, welcome to the forum. There is a very large Postie clan living on this forum and all are very sharp. Maybe you need to channel your question a bit more narrowly? Propulsion, ride, maintenance, .... Folks here are dying to share info on specific questions.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  5. sheraton

sheraton Member

6. sheraton

sheraton Member

Sorry about that!! Just looking for info on any problems with like leaky windows ,deck rot, stress cracks, anything that I should look at. This boat has 6-71ti's for power with under 1000 hrs, look good, will have my diesel guy look at.
  7. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I'm not aware of any consistent defect with the 42 that you should look for. I'm actually a bit surprised at the "notorious" fuel tank comment earlier. I think we had one person on this forum replace tanks and say after they were out, that the tanks were fine. But I'm sure some have been replaced. On any boat 30+ years old, metal tanks are always something to inspect as best you can.

You have to expect some water damage to the core somewhere on the boat. Any screw through the fiberglass has the potential to leak. All you can really do is look at the obvious spots: bow railing, pulpit, bridge\house joint, salon windows, cockpit cabinets. I think an 82 may have the 1/2 front windows? If so, I would consider them a notorious issue with leaking and rot. Many have been glassed over solid to stop this.

If you find any specific issues\questions during inspection, let us know.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I agree with MWWHIT1.

Posts are not know for any specific or chronic issues.

As always, make sure you have a qualified, independent professional surveyor.

The only Post issue that comes to mind; There was a gelcoat problem that also impacted Vikings but I believe that was early 2000's.
  9. sheraton

sheraton Member

10. sheraton

sheraton Member

Thanks, any info is better then none. She does have the half windows, the rest have been glassed in, the foward and rear decks are solid. There are some cosmetic issues with the hull but no stress cracks, engines have 1,000 hrs since being overhauled. I will be making a offer this week, I'll keep you guys POSTED !!
  11. C team

C team Senior Member

I know of two 42' Posts with leaky tanks right now on my river. Take SeaEric's advice, he knows about these boats and others.
  12. shawn

shawn New Member

Post from 75 to 79 put in steel or black iron. In 80 they rasied the floor and pilot house to fit the TI engines and added the alum tanks. I have a 77 and my father had a 75 both aft tanks delamanted on the top. Had to replace.
  13. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

So, an 1982 vintage 42 Post would not have any known issues with the alum fuel tanks.
  14. shawn

shawn New Member

Hey RT: I have not seen anyone with alum tanks with issues. I replaced mine with Alum, once a year I go down and spray the top and sides with Silicone and let it run down. I look for chew marks in the welds from salt deposits. My Viking aft tank had a chew hole in the weld and lossed 200gal Diesel over the side.