Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

1982 42 Post Owners Manual

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by deanpe, Jun 21, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. deanpe

deanpe New Member

Does any have a manual they'd be willing to share. I just bought this boat and wanted to get an understanding of the electrical and plumbing systems for troubleshooting. Much thanks, Patrick
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I used to own a 1981 Post 42. It had the manual on board but I don't recall that it had diagrams for wiring or plumbing. I could be wrong. The systems in that model are very easy to access and runs are pretty straightforward. You should be able to figure most of it out quite easily just by looking at it.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

There is nothing in my manual for electrical or plumbing either.
    As SeaEric says, it's pretty straight forward once you get to looking.

Congrats on the new boat.
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

80's POST Manual

I finally remembered to bring home my manual and scan it. 37 pages total.

This should apply to all of the 80's models for the most part. It does have several pages on electrical.

Two files 1MB each so I can't attach here.

If you would like these, send me a Private Message with your email address.

Anyone have a website they can put the files on for download?

Thanks,
    Mark
  5. IGORMIAMI

IGORMIAMI Guest

Hi...maybe is late but do you still have the Owners manual... We are buying a 42 Post 1982.

We will appreciate it.

IGOR
  6. deanpe

deanpe New Member

Hi Igor, best wishes to you on your new to you boat. I posted this 4yrs ago when I bought my boat. After crawling around the boat, I realized I didn't need the manual so I never pursued. All areas of the boat are easily accessible making it very easy to trace plumbing and electrical systems. This worked out well for me since I had to replace the water heater and fresh water pump. I ended up getting rid of the 120v jet pump and went with a 12v PAR4 pump so I didn't have to run the genny at anchor if I wanted water. I also choose to upgrade all the plumbing fixtures in the head and galley.

Areas to examine before sale (besides the engines of course), would be for core damage to the forward deck and house area. Check for soft/spongy areas in the bow by the pulpit and forward cleats. Also check for moisture around forward and side windows and also around the bridge overhang. See the pictures of the work my brother-in-law recently posted. I think it is par for the course for a 30+ year old boat. A qualified surveyor should be hired to check the entire boat. My survey results indicated a lot of small items that needed correction. I made all the corrections myself, however, if I had to hire a mechanic/ electrician / carpenter or painter, it would have been cost prohibitive for me. I hope you are handy in boat systems or have deep pockets. Either (maybe both) will be needed to maintain/update a 30 year old boat.

I've had great luck with my 450 TI's (knock on wood)! Change the fuel filters and water pump impeller annually. Maintain the cooling system per the book. I had an overheat problem when I first go my boat. I acid dipped the heat exchangers which significantly improved the situation. But I was still getting above 185 at 2000rpm in the warm Chesapeake waters. I ran ridlyme throughout the raw water system which helped further. Now it only gets hot above 2100 (which I rarely run). This season I plan on flushing the fresh water side with Penray offline cleaner to see if that corrects the problem. I highly suggest you subscribe to boatdiesel.com, as there is a wealth of detroit knowledge on that site.

Let me know if you want further info.

Patrick