Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Westport

1979 42 Side Vents

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tommy68, Apr 13, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

42 Post.png
    Hi All,

Looking for help / ideas on how to replace / fix two cracked side vents. I picked up this 79 Post in October of 2014 and during a haul out prior to purchase the previous Marina cracked the two vents (see picture). Despite some searching by the old owner, myself and the old marina we have not been able to source replacement parts. (The oldMarina is going to cover the cost and install once we figure out what that actuall is..)

According to a contact at Post - "I’m sorry to tell you that those parts were custom made by Post in the late 70’s and early 80’s and we no longer have the mold to make those."

The parts are plastic

Advice to date has been the following

1. Remove and somehow reverse egnineer with light metal
    2. Leave in place, use fiberglass to repair.
    3. Remove and fabricate out of fiberglass.

Any help with locating the parts, advice on the fix would be great!
  2. shawn

shawn New Member

Hi: I am in Old Saybrook Ct with a 77. I replace mine with custom ones like 80s type. When I removed my old ones I found there is a set of the same facing in the engine room. You could swap them out and put the cracked one on the inside you do not see it. Just a thought.

Shawn
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sometimes you just have to go with plan B. Find another type that fits and 5200 them on. Otherwise you're left with 2 or 3 above. Beyond that keep your eyes on Post forums, and especially look for Posts being scrapped. I suspect that anyone with spares is holding onto them because they do get broken. We just replaced the 2nd one in 2 years on our Hatt. Needless to say we got a spare.

P.S. that doesn't look like a hard shape to duplicate if you have a decent fiberglass guy.
  4. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Shawn,

Thanks for the idea. I will surely look into that.

Were the vents you replaced broken also? If not and you happened to kept them, perhaps we can work something out and I could take a couple off your hands? Im in Seymour CT.

Also would love some more info and possibly a picture or two of your replaced vents. Did the 80s types fit right in or did you have to do some work to the existing holes in the hull.
  5. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Thanks NYCAP

I am a little bit Green to certain boating language still. What did you mean by "5200 them on"?

Also any hints on other fourms or sites to check into for "scrapped" post parts? If I can find them I will surely be getting a spare or two.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

3M Marine Adhesive ...in general you would use 5200 in permanent applications. If you need to remove them in the future (without breaking them) I would suggest 4200.
  7. shawn

shawn New Member

Hi Tom: I gave those to a friend of mine that had broken ones as well, and he used them. If I remenber they were through bolted the nuts were not easy to get too. I had the hull painted and took out the vents totaly. I made new ones like the 80s and cut them in. They came out nice, I have people fooled with the year. I will see if I can take a pic tonight.

Shawn
  8. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Shawn,

I fiqured you might have already found a home for the old vents but I had to ask.

I am not a fan of these vents myself and maybe some day they will get replaced. Anixious to see how yours came out.

I am not positive on how the bolts are secured from the inside. From the outside I can clearly see 6 flat head screw tops. I peaked around in the engine room, but I think a portion if not all of the vent actually sits above the floor in the salon. Espcially for the vent which is in the center. I am thinking this means the pannel inside the salon would have to come out to access the nuts... if they in fact exist.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Tommy

If the old ones can be repaired with resin and cloth that might be your best bet

Otherwise try a mold made of modeling clay. Push an undamaged vent into the clay with a releasing agent. Then use the mold to reverse build from the gel coat to the cloth. Or just use resin and cloth the whole way.

Another is to take it to a body shop and they will duplicate it for you
  10. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

RER,

Thanks, very good info to know.
  11. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Beau

Thanks for the ideas.
  12. shawn

shawn New Member

Hi Tom: Tried to take a pic last night of the vent the cover is blocking most of it. See if you can zoom on this.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  13. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Shawn,

Looks great! I was curious to see if you did close off the other vent. Hopefully one day I will be able to do the same.

I got you other messages. I will prob give you a ring this evening.
  14. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Hi All,

So the summer project will be rolling into fall / winter for these side vents. Before I go down the fabrication rode with these things, I wanted to check in one last time to see if anyone knows of any spares hanging around?

Thanks