Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights

1974 Viking 40

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by floatingsquash, Feb 7, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ccbroadloom

Ccbroadloom New Member

We boat from loingisland south shore N.Y.
    I have 35 Viking sport fish ya thay have gas 454 crusaders and it is an old 1975 that I restored when your looking for a safe boat you can count on a Viking to get you there and back in the nasty unwanted seas but my friend make sure you check out the rear bulk head wall for there problem of water damage. But if you get the boat cheep enough I would say redo her because to spend 60,000 thousand or so for someone else head that you will for sure have to put more money into yo put it in your older boat that I'm sure are built better and it's your way and fresh start
  2. Capt Doug

Capt Doug New Member

If you look at the pictures of the Egg Harbor with the man holding up the 2 fish, its a different boat. Seem funny??
  3. PierPressure40

PierPressure40 New Member

My 1974 40' Viking SF/convertible

I just want to say this is exactly what I have and it was repowered with the 2 new 8.1l MPI's from Crusader plus new Hurth transmission and what a difference. Because of the regearing and different size props, My cruise speed went up to 22knts with a burn rate of 24gph and now it tops out at 34knts. I also put brand new fuel tanks in increasing the fuel capacity from 300 gallon to 400 gallons now. There is not one thing I can complain about on this boat now that i've changed out the things that bothered me or they didn't have back then. I bought off the orginal owner (6months ago) who purchased it at the NYC boat show in 1974.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

wow those are great GPH and cruise numbers for that boat with gas power.

good luck with the boat
  5. PierPressure40

Honestly I was very surprised myself. Before with the old 454's my cruise was 17knts with a burn rate of 28gph. Obviously the new larger fuel injected engines helped with higher hp, but I think the big difference is the gearing of the new transmissions and prop change. But like others have mentioned it was costly but not as cosly as repowering with diesel which would take forever to recoupe the money. I spent just a tad over 40k dollars including install of engnes and transmissions. I guess I was just trying to make a point to not overlook th newer gas engines these days. I know this is an old thread, but I figure it may help some others on making a decision when it comes to gains in speed, fuel and price. Tell you those gassers weigh quite a bit less than some of those diesels.
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

34 knots @ WOT? That's 39mph in a gas powered 40 Viking???
  7. PierPressure40

I was thinking the same thing and had to pull out my other GPS to confrm what I was seeing with those numbers. You have to remember this was optimum conditions when it hits 38-39MPH. The tanks were pretty empty and I only had about 100 gallons left in fuel tanks(combined), bottom was clean. Obviously I don't run it WOT all the time or for long, but the times I have, it has been a consistent 38mph and one time I actually hit 40mph and again the 40mph was only one time. I can't complain and if I'm going to complain about WOT it will be about the burn rate at WOT...lol which was showing 55GPH on the floscan.
  8. PierPressure40

And yes it is a 1974 40' Viking GAS POWERED!!!!
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I owned a similar vintage Viking 35 FB/SF

It had 454's w quadrajets and 1.91:1 gears and I think 19x18 (or something close) 3 blade props.

I know it is different power in a different boat....

but

I recall the fastest it ever went was 27kts with the wind behind it on a calm day.

It could cruise between 15 and 20kts

At hull speed around 7-8kts it would burn around 7-8 gph.

at 15kts the flo-scan show around 24 gph for both engines.

17 kts was around 30-32 gph

at 18kts it would jump up around 36 + gph for both engines

anything more that 20 kts was more that 2gallons per mile

I remember the flo-scan dial max-ing out when I put it to the pins....
  10. dom spano

dom spano New Member

PierPressure I have a 1978 40 foot Viking and I've decided to repower with the same 8.1 gas engines for all the same reasons that you cited in your thread. I couldn't cost justify the diesels either. Thanks for citing the stats on Viking with those new engines.