Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums

1964 Roamer Commodore

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Cap'n Ray, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Cap'n Ray

Cap'n Ray New Member

"Curtains" is a 1964 Chris-Craft Roamer Commodore 38' Steel hull cruiser. Her HID is RBD-38-56xxx, and she's powered by twin Perkins 4-236 diesels (a tad small, but VERY economical!). We've not fully identified the rest of the equipment aboard, but will do so as we add to this thread. Mechanically she's sound, structurally she is in better than expected condition thanks to considerable care by previous owners, and a mostly fresh-water life. Aesthetically, she's due for some care- several wimdows, ports and doors have developed leaks that have resulted in needed wood repairs in several areas. The upper portion of the cabin exterior appears to have had fiberglass applied over the wood- a mostly successful method of preservation, but needing some attention. The cockpit sole is soft in two spots (a common Roamer issue I believe) and I think that is where we will start outr major work- Windows/ doors, wood, and fiberglass exterior to stop leaks, then on to the interior. We also plan to haul her out for a quick scrape, inspection, zincs and bottom paint later this year.

There are a few mentions of this boat elsewhere on this forum, as well as on a couple of others but we'll try to consolidate everything here. We have completes a couple of other restorations, to include a 1961 JavLyn 'speed boat', a 1977 Carver Mariner 3396, and partial restoration of a 1965 Missouri Valley Steel Paddlewheel Riverboat. We've worked with wood, fiberglass, steel and all the fun sealants, barriers, and coatings that go with them! Looking forward to input from other Roamer owners, as with all of our projects, we value insight, opinions and suggestions from all! We will post photos soon, and try to keep this thread updated as we progress!
  2. 74vert

74vert New Member

Would like to get an update on your progress. I am a new owner of a steel-hull roamer and am currently in the "discovery" phase of ownership. No big surprises yet, but many of the same issues you describe. Windows are a large concern for me, as they have clearly been leaking over some lengthy period, causing the previous owner to slather them with too much sealant (which did not resolve the leak issues). Please share any of your trials and tribulations, as I expect to encounter many of the same.
  3. dtc203

dtc203 New Member

Not many of these aft cabin 38' Commodore Roamers were made apparently. My Commodore was renamed "Buzzards" in 2017. The boat was known as "At Ease" prior to 2017. The boat has been used out of Bayfield Wisconsin continuously for at least 20 years. Power is twin 430 Lincolns and runs great. The hull was restored with about 10 small patches welded on in 2017. Also a paint job on the bottom. This year 2019 is the first year that we won't be in the water. I have decided to bring the boat to my farm and work on it close to home. I find that working on the boat at the marina, either in or out of the water is not very efficient and somewhat frustrating. This is a big boat to haul and I'll post how that goes. I'm a new member and will take a while to get up to speed on using this site.
    Boat 1.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019
  4. artwork

artwork Member

Your boat is big, but pretty typical for a big boat hauler. We used Boat Logistics out of Montegue, MI. I can recommend them. Rusty is a pro, showed up on time, moved our boat right on plan (58’ x 17’). The big thing is getting the vertical clearance down. In Michigan all utilities are supposed to be 18 feet or higher. Overpasses can be a problem. We loaded out at 15’ 6”. He can haul the boat with the keel about 12 inches off the pavement.