Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

16 volt agm race car battery

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 54bertram, Apr 11, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

have 32 volt system in a 54 Bertram right now have 4 lead acid 8 volt batteries for power
    do you think the 16 volts wired in series will be enough for starting and house
    I know the agms have higher amperage
    and I know I will have to get a 32volt agm charger
    what do you think
    thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Who sold you this?
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Sounds interesting, specially if available to the public. I am currently experimenting with a 36 v set up on one side only and use it just for starting the one engine, so far so good , the big issue is the charging rate while running , 40.5 volts which is too high for electronics.
  4. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

[​IMG]here is a link to the batteries. can buy these batteries for half the cost of the 8 volts just not sure if they will hold up

http://4xspower.com/
  5. AdrenalinJunki

AdrenalinJunki New Member

I have the 32v system in my 50' Bertram. It would be great if two 16v batteries could replace my 8v. It would take up less space, and save 300lbs of weight.
  6. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

my thoughts exactly and no maintenance my only worry is if they have enough muscle
    the 16 volt battery has 60 ah with 1250 cranking amps
    the 8 volt are 195 ah with 980 cranking amps my 32 volt system only gets used in short burst to crank the motors and run the galley maids
    so I hope this might be an option for us in the future
    what does every one else think
    and did I mention half the cost of 8 volts
    thanks
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

There are much higher outputs available in the 16 v series.. the following is the largest, some in between also.

D16-31
    MSRP $459.99

Buy Now >>
    DESCRIPTION
    16V BCI Group 31 AGM Battery, Max Amps 5,000A CA: 1,100

Weight Lbs. – 76
    Weight Kgs. – 34.4

Length – 12.99 in
    Height – 8.43 in
    Width – 6.81 in

MAX Amps – 5000
    Ah – 86
  8. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

yes that is the top of the line in xs brand but there is another brand witch I quoted the specs from that goes for around $175.00
    for the cost of the 8 volts I could buy them and agm charger together
  9. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I think you would have to go series parallel to make that work and you would need more than 4 batts to do that ?

I thought a 32 v charger would do AGM's, just lower the charge rate to suit. ?

What was the other brand you checked out ?
  10. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

do you mean two banks of two 16 volts in series with a parallel switch at helm
    the other brand is kinetic hc16v whats cool about that battery is it has a third post for 12 volt tap but you cant use it if you wire the batt in series
    my charger is chareles old style don't think it has a adjustmet
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If you series 2 batts to give you 32 v you will still only get the cranking amps of one battery, you need to up the # of batts to get the cranking amps but still only get 32 v am not 100% sure if you can do it with 4, may need 6. in series parallel.
  12. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

I see what you are saying to get more cranking amps but my 4 -8 volts only give me 980 cranking amps which turns my motor fine and the two 16 volts give me 1100 so you think 16 volts don't have enough punch overall to the job
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, I too would stay away from trying to have the the house-bank doing both jobs. Okay on a baby boat, not on a larger vessel.

The sudden CCA draw for starting a diesel is a tad more than pinging a Hot Pocket in the micowave.
  14. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

On my experimental 36 v set up 3x12 v batts they spin one of my v12's real good, not sure of the cca but no where near 1000, I have tried using them on my 32vx 240vac inverter and seemed no bad side affects after 4 hrs, frig. freezer TV and shower and toilets.
  15. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

is this what you are thinking about
    Wiring in Series and Parallel:

Batteries can be wired both in series and parallel, this increases both the amperage and voltage available. In this example here two "Strings" of batteries are wired up in Series to essentially make two 12V Banks, these are then wired together in series (doubling the 150Ah) to eventually provide 12 Volts at 300Ah.

Recommended battery interconnect cables for this configuration are shown below. The gauge and cable length is determined by your needs. This is only a suggestion:

(2) 12" Red Battery Interconnect Cable (from Pos terminals of battery banks)
    (2) 12" Black Battery Interconnect Cable (from Neg terminals of battery banks)
    (2) 6" Red Battery Interconnect Cable (between Neg & Pos terminals of batteries)
    [​IMG]
  16. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Yep that works for 12 v set up so in theory you could use 4 .16's and get lots of poop.. I see Rock batts are also 16 v and reasonable price.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

60 Amp hours is nothing. Sure 2 batteries will have enough cranking amps will have enough ooomph to turn the motor over, but only for about 12 revolutions and they'll be dead.
  18. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I re ad that at 60ah they would drop to 7.5 volts in about 15 secs. not what one wants when re starting a diesel that has run dry of fuel.. there are more powerful ones that have higher a.h but very expensive, around 400.00 a pop
  19. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

yes I see what you are saying seems like the only alternative would be 4 16 volts wired in parallel and then in series doubling the amp hours to 120 and cranking amps to 2200
    yes I give up some amp hours but but the reward of getting double the life span (maybe) might be a thing to consider
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now your budget & foot print just doubled and still not much long cranking endurance.
    If your looking for zero maintenance, there is a dual use 8v AGM from East Penn batteries.