Click for MotorCheck Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

130 WestPort potential crew??

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by Capt Buddy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

What is the typical crew arrangement on a new/newer 130 WP. Basically how many people would it take to successfully run a 130 for private and charter use, and what do their salaries average?
    Thanks
    ps I tried the search function..nothing came up:D
  2. carelm

carelm Senior Member

What I've seen is the typical crew is about seven. My guess to staffing is a captain, first officer, chief engineer, chef and deck hands. This is just an approximation. Typical captain pay is around $1K per foot. I found this link which covers the salary ranges:

http://www.crewfinders.com/yachtcrewsalaries.shtml
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Look for one of these that Charters, look at the crew details to get an idea if the numbers you would expect to have.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi,

What is the crew accommodation arrangement on your westport 130? Most 130's accomodate 6 only in 4 staterooms, two forward rooms with over-under bunks, a captain room with a queen size berth (so you can add one more if the head stewerdess or chef is the captain's spouse), and an engineer's bed all the back to the stern.

Some setups will add a pull down bunk in the two rooms forward, this makes the door smaller and the access to the head tighter and usable only by the shortest crew ever (almost made for those vertically challenged), not to mention that you already don't have enough storage space for the crew, so I find this setup not good at all.

Some setups will have the crew galley removed and add a room with over-under bunk with no head and the facilities shared through other room, which is not so practical and I think taking out more comforts from the crew in an already tight space means unhappy crew, that is not what you want, specially on a charter boat!

Some setups will add another room back at the stern with over-under bunks and an en-suite utilities, this will ad two more crew. The tax is that the lazzarette space will be smaller (I don't like that) and you loose the large cold storage fridges and cabinet the were in the place of that room (This I personally don't like at all!).

6-8 is the optimal crew count in my opinion, what are your needs as an owner? This will define the minimum crew you need, what are the comfort levels you offer your charter guests will decitate the minimum charter crew, your usage of the boat both personally and on charter will tell you how many are permanent and how many are hired when needed.

What "carelm" listed in titles is what you need, a captain, an engineer, first officer/mate, two deckhands, and steward(ess), and the pay is about right in his reference. "K1W1's" advice is priceless.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For the most part the salary ranges are ok. The freelance daily captain rate is WAY TOO LOW. I also see a few others that are too low, such as the Captain salary for 130'-160'........but it's a guide.
  6. triggerfish23

triggerfish23 Member

J,

That's what I thought too. Is the day rate is for captains that think a full day of work is 2-4 hours? There's plenty of them out there. Maybe thats their rate...
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Most of the older 130's are running with 6 crew, 7 if they charter. The newer 130's are a lot more work than the older ones, and will really need 7 crew for proper service/maintenance. I have over 5 years on the older ones, and quite familiar with the new ones, if you would like any more info, let me know by PM.
  8. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

thanks ychtcptn. will do
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Curious as to why the newer 130's are a lot more work than the older ones.
  10. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

All of it has to do with the exterior, there is a lot more area with the large sun deck and mast, all the extra glass and railings are very time consuming, and there is a lot more teak decking.
    The interiors are also a lot more intricate with the wood work, but the change is not as bad compared to the exterior.
    I would also say the engineer is going to be quite a bit more busy with all the intricate systems they have installed.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Makes perfect sense and probably true of most boats of today. Fancier equals more work. System advancements equals more work. Now I would hope some offset in that some of the systems are actually going to help avoid more time consuming problems. Too bad that more of the exterior hasn't been made easier to care for.

Sometimes I wonder how we allowed ourselves to be sucked in to all the teak and wood work and fancy railings. I remember when I bought my first boat, thinking teak was insanity, the equivalent of lots of grass and fancy yards. Why have more maintenance. Yet, as I look at a boat today, especially larger, it looks so bare to me without it. Plus some of the engineering is a different field with so much electronics today versus the days when the vast majority was mechanical in nature.

I imagine as owners we change too. I know today both at home and on the water, we're still perfectly capable of cooking and washing our own clothes. However, at home we have an older couple of managers and she now does much of the cooking. Even on the water our Captains love to cook fresh fish. I still grill the steaks and chicken.

That's one thing I like today when our largest boat is 63'. It's often just ourselves and our captain couple and they find deck hands at the docks as we travel to help them. Meals aren't crew for owners but are the four of us collectively. Then for thorough cleaning after trips we do have a hand at home. As we increase in size, certainly much of that will change.