Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Spam e mails

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Oct 1, 2014.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi Folks,

Has anyone noticed an upsurge in spam in the last few days?

I seem to get hit by a bunch in the afternoon European Time and all have multiple xxx.xxx.xxx.net/com domains. By this I mean there are names with periods or full stops between them

I have spent sometime today adding blocks to the server and to my AV Proggie.

I get offered Diabetes medication,. a review of my credit score, a review of my arrest record and subscriptions to many other things.

They all have my e mail addy in the dear sir line and all have a link to unsubscribe which has a detailed address in a variety of countries that it written so badly I know it doesn't exist none of which I have clicked on as I do not want to encourage more spam top arrive.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Nope, no dodgy spam, never have done.

Oddly, just checked my YahooMail and it's crashed today.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have got many mails from Russia lately, with Cyrillic text that is impossible for me to read, so as spam they are useless...
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No spam emails on my end.
  5. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    No spam emails on my end too!
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Ditto on the Russian - about half a dozen a day.
  7. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

No spam for me.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I get 5-10 a day... always have. Nothing has changed recently.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I used to get a few even some from my own domain name, then it has been quiet for the last 6-8 months till the other day.

It is time consuming to have to keep adding filters but as I am on a data card a lot when travelling do not want to download any more than I have to.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I don't know if you're using a public or private mail server, but in general I find trying to filter accounts individually very time consuming and recommend some form of commercial filtering software or using a mail service that filters well. The advantage is that they use thousands or even millions of accounts to catch new spam, so in most cases the filter will be set before it hits you. We have our personal emails on gmail and use Norton and I just looked at one account with 350 recent spams being filtered and going to "Spam" and only one in that time that got through and I had to report.

I've seen no drop in total spam. It continues to increase if anything. But very little gets through to my mail account, most ending up in a spam folder.

Domain hosts have varying quality of spam filters themselves. Some of the internet service providers are excellent and some are horrible. The ones who are worse are the ones who are known as easy to get spam sent from too. Current estimates are that 70-75% of all email is spam.

Back to the original question, I've seen no change in spam volume. If more is getting through to you, then it's likely your filtering.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I use a paid for server where my domain is hosted.

It would be a lot easier if I could do a rt click and get an option to blacklist

I will ask the host what he can offer to automate the process
  12. olderboater

That's what I figured and sounds like your host isn't doing a great job. Do you use any personal spam filter then on your email? What email software do you use or do you check on the web?
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I have relied on the host since having my own domain as he hosts a lot of the yachts I deal with. I use Thunderbird on Windows machines, Apples default on IPad and Phone.

I am looking at Mail Washer pro as I used this years ago for another setup and it seemed ok once it learnt a few tricks.

It would be nice to be able to block everyone not in my addy book but that is kind of a short sighted way forward for my business accts.
  14. olderboater

My understanding is that Thunderbird's system requires a lot of training. I've seen Spamihiltator and Spamfighter recommended. I don't use Thunderbird so don't have actual experience with them.
  15. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

lately i've started getting phishing emails from gmail accounts of folks i know ... suggesting their accounts have been hacked ...

nothing much apart from that ...
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've been deluged with spam seeking donations from the Democratic Party for quite awhile now, about a dozen or more each day. I block them, but they just keep coming. They use dozens of different addy's, block one and they come from another. When I block them on my home computer they still come up on my S5, and there doesn't seem to be any way to block them on it. I've also made the mistake of purchasing some things on the internet, and these companies send me up to a dozen spams each day (like harrassing me will encourage me to ever buy from them again.).

I've also gotten several phising emails lately supposedly from Microsoft, BankAmerica, Chase and HP. Guess there's big money in spamming and phising.

I've also found that there's absolutely nothing private done on a computer. We've all heard about the NSA stuff, but I recently saw a program about a murder where evidence was retrived from an email that was never sent and the computer was never found. That means that the keystrokes were recorded somewhere despite the email never being sent.

I'm almost ready to throw all my computers into the garbage and go back to snailmail, wired phones and smoke signals.
  17. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

The SPAM has been a boon for me. I've been able to get a really good investing deal with a GA in Nigeria.( General Admiral for you landlubbers )
    I may already have won a major magazine sweepstakes and a third opportunity has me in line for a brand new Cabo yacht....... I can't believe my good fortune !
  18. olderboater

The Cabo is the most interesting, since they aren't in business at the moment. The letters are so poorly constructed but somehow they still work enough to make it a profitable business.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

The ones I being plagued with start around 15.30 and are all done by 1800, they nearly all have the same code number at the bottom that means nothing to google. All are from a variety of addresses none of which have a suffix I have seen before except .me, all are 3 part with stops between the words. Strangest stuff I have ever seen.
  20. olderboater

Well, my spam on just one account yesterday (all properly classified as spam by gmail) was:

The Ministry of Urban Development
    Great Western Bank info on crediting my bank account with $15 million
    Business and Personal Loans
    Jacuzzi Walk in tubs
    Coach watches
    Visa Card
    Online pharmaceuticals
    First Alert
    3tailer Columbus Day special
    A travel and adventure show

and most interesting

Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, MO.