Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

YouTube: How to break a mast, sailboat and bridge

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

That was NOT to way to untangle that sailboat from the bridge. The tow rope should have been tied onto the mast just below the cross piece. That would have heeled the boat over and freed the mast. They had two lines on the boat...one at the bow and the other jerk that was pulling had a line tied to the stern. No matter how hard you try...you just can't fix stupid.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Naa, Stupid was getting there. Look like the mast top was already pretty fouled.

Rip that sucker out of there...
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Glad someone else said it first ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they were putting the mast in compression and every inch more they pulled the hull it put way more force on the mast ... was there some reason it was impossible to pull it out the other way and drag the mast top under the bridge? It would have done some damage but but the boat would have heeled and done nothing near to what they managed to do.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

If seen grounded sailboats undo a side stay, attach it to their dinghy with a line, then use the dinghy to tip and pull the boat free. Seems that could have worked here also?
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Some years ago there was a fantastic video on this site of a large sailboat motoring beneath a low bridge by running large water ballast balloons off the mast. It was quite a balancing act to keep the prop in the water and the boat heeled far enough over to pass beneath the bridge. I don't believe it was a Boat US operator....
  6. Ward

Ward Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

thank you for finding that. It still amazing to me! Look how calm the ole 'capt is at the helm....
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Thanks Ward, That is hands down no BS....the ****edest thing I've ever seen! When I had my 42 Morgan Out Island we couldn't go out of the Haulover inlet in N. Miami...which had a 52 ft. Clearance, we had to motor all the way down to the Port of Miami where the Cruise ships docked to get out. Anyway, thanks for looking that up...that's a new on on me!
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That video was here on YF a while ago, it has just surfaced on Facebook and re surfaced here too, amazing