Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Hello---HOLA---Oi !

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Captrko, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Captrko

Captrko New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello....

I have two wonderful boats, one of which I am very proud of is my 1987 Wellcraft Scarab 38KV Miami Vice Limited Edition (1 of 30 built) she has two 500EFI Mercury Racing powerplants on Bravo I drives on a 28 Pitch props. This is a classic true GO FAST boat--and was my dream to own one since I was 16 years old when I saw one at the Tampa Boats show (and of course on Miami Vice every Friday night in the late 80's) I was always in love with the 28 colors of Imron down the side of the boat and my hero was Sonny Crockett!

My other boat is a 43' Wellcraft Portofino express cruiser. The design of this boat was well ahead of its time--this is my second one as my dad bought one new from Wellcraft in 1987. I currently crash on the Portofino when I am working away from home--I love both boats and hope to add a larger edition vessel soon as a full time liveaboard.

Attached Files:

2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of great information, resources, reading and domain expertise from the members.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome aboard Captrko. Is that RKO short for Ricco Tubbs (Sonny's partner)? Man I miss that show and those times ("Save the bales"). Nice boat and nice dog (he seems to be enjoying the ride). These days my hearing is starting to fade and I'm pretty sure boats like yours are at least partially to blame.:D These days I need my Harley to get my fill of anything close to that sound. Enjoy YF.
  4. Captrko

Captrko New Member

RKO are my initials......My dog LOVES the boat....he is the best watch sailor I can find!

Thanks for the nice comments!
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I really like your Miami Vice edition Scarab. It's a beautiful boat to this day.......
  6. Captrko

Captrko New Member

I agree it is a timeless classic.

I plan to run her another 5-10 years then do a complete restoration back to her full glory. She is a head turner where ever I take her. I waited 20 years to find one, and I finally have her!
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I'm going to use this *exact* description when I speak of my lovely wife. Even the years are dead on accurate!

Interestingly enough, I thought of this thread and the pics of your boat when I was sitting in bed reading catching up on some reading and there was a reference to Donald Aronow and the good old days of 'go-fast' boat building following the Rum Runners.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Make sure she lets us know where to send the flowers.:D
  9. Captrko

Captrko New Member

Don Aronow is a legend and I love Cigarette Racing. There is an interesting story about his death (shot in Miami in 1987) that involved some business associates (Ben Kramer was the main suspect).