Click for Horizon
Click for Ferretti
Click for Alexseal
Click for Walker
Click for Moonen
Click for Llebroc
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT CLUBS > The YachtForums Yacht Club > High Flying Miss

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

High Flying Miss

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Kevin (a YF Mod) wrote:
Quote:
Airship... I almost feel like editing your post just to clean up the crankiness.

The YF is for "Off-Topic Scuttlebutt..." as the sub heading indicates. Within reason and good judgment we can pretty much chat about whatever we want in here.
And I'm breaking "the golden rule" which everyone should respect when contributing to any online forum - never get into an argument with any Mod. on said forum once the Mods have announced themselves. Whatever the subject of the original argument, my own arguments are invariably doomed to failure because a Mod has expressed an interest in the thread.

Norseman, (not the original thread-starter) apparently has 1st hand experience of the subject, having been a professional / commercial pilot before joining YF and/or becoming a yacht-personage here.

Perhaps I'm drunk, mis-guided or whatever, but if in this case, there is any substance to the original post, then why post it here instead of another forum? Why allow Norseman (as the sole YF contributor with any valid experience), perhaps "to hold court" in this thread - the contributors here in YF don't usually have the expertise to discuss aircraft (let alone yachts... )

I'm all for YF members being able to debate lots of stuff here in YF's Yacht Club forum, so long as the contributors respect other YF members and not simply assume that they can say whatever they want, or please individual YF Mods.
airship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airship View Post
Why allow Norseman (as the sole YF contributor with any valid experience), perhaps "to hold court" in this thread - the contributors here in YF don't usually have the expertise to discuss aircraft (let alone yachts... )
There go your second and third mistakes.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm all for YF members being able to debate lots of stuff here in YF's Yacht Club forum, so long as the contributors respect other YF members and not simply assume that they can say whatever they want
"Respect". That's a very important word. Do you realize that most of your posts (not just in this thread) show an incedible amount of arrogance and contempt for Americans, YF Mods, fellow YF members and almost everybody else? If that's not your intention you should look into how to change that perception.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Norseman, (not the original thread-starter) apparently has 1st hand experience of the subject, having been a professional / commercial pilot before joining YF and/or becoming a yacht-personage here.
Yeah but I was a Merchant Marine Sailor before I took up flying..Got bored with 6 weeks at sea and 6 months on the same ships.
Then got bored with flying and took up sailing.

Got bored with all that and turned to Yacht Forums for entertainment..
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Greetings all,
I am reading this thread with a mixture of amusement (at the nit picking and conclusion jumping), interest, and trepidation (as I DO fly occasionally and although I don't drink, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I can usually recognise an areo-plane at a close distance and often wonder how well the seat cushions REALLY float).
Hmmm...Air France (AF) has it's servicing done in China? Are the technicians there NOT qualified service personnel and if not, why does AF allow this?
Five days to notice missing fasteners? Is a pilot or someone in authority not required to do a "walk around" visual inspection on a regular basis? (I thought this was required before every flight).
Newspaper article "facts" are hardly the basis for drawing ANY conclusions on MOST subjects.
As to the Air India landing...Pfafff....65kmh gusts????
Calgary windstorm: Lufthansa flight makes dramatic landing in 149km/h gusts | News | National Post
The REAL bottom line in all of this no fatalities-a good thing.
Peter
Savasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Is a pilot or someone in authority not required to do a "walk around" visual inspection on a regular basis?
Yup, before every flight but usually to check the brakes, landing gear, tires, any hydrukic leaks, damage from ground vehicles, pitot tubes, static ports, etc, etc.
To find the missing fasteners for the wing/body fairings, one would have to climb out on the wing..Don't do that too often.

The shoddy work should have been discovered in China, not in every day operations by flight crews doing pre-flight inspections.
(We don't climb up the tail either to look for loose rivets.)
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

BOEING B-737 standardised procedures pre-flight procedures (exterior inspections - see page 5) and adapted for the average 50m superyacht:

Prior to leaving port, the Master, or 1st Officer should conduct the following interior / exterior visual inspections:

1) Kick the fenders (or verify that they are correctly pressurised).
2) Check that the ram air deflector door is OPEN and extended...
3) Confirm that all crew are back on-board.
4) Confirm that any / all guests are back on-board.
5) Verify that the chef / steward have assured adequate supplies of our favourite foods and tipples.
6) Check that the Chief Engineer has sufficient bunkers etc.
7) Confirm with the agent that any unpaid bills outstanding will be paid to suppliers in due course.
8) Check weather forecast.
9) Request harbour tug push-back (or use engines and "nose-wheel" thruster)...
10) Handover to 1st Officer and logon to YF.
airship is offline   Reply With Quote