Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Spratly Islands, new tensions with China, higher oil prices

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, May 4, 2011.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13257263

Thanks for posting that.

I brought this subject up on a few forums back a number of years ago This is exactly the thing that most worried many of us working over in SE Asia. China has historcally claimed ALL of the Spratly islands that 6 other countries also lay claim to portions of (and look closely, many of these 'islands are NO WHERE near China). When they make such a move as this to 'reclaim' them, who is going to be asked by these other smaller countries to help them protect their particular claims to those Spratlys that lie just off their coast? Who is going to stand up to big China? You know who.

Watch this closely. It could be the next big friction point between China and the US...maybe not right away, but in the near future. WOW

....and remember we no longer have our big naval base in the Philippines (Subic Bay)
  2. brian eiland

Shipping Disruptions and/or War

Good point about the oil situation raising the bar. Of course you do realize that some major oil is found in the Brunei area. And that one of the biggest gas finds in the world was in the Indonesian Spratly known as Natuna.

This whole situation could eventually erupt into a war over the natural resources of the South China Sea. And then think about the fact that any conflict and military tensions there could affect mid east oil shipments; "The South China Sea region is the world's second busiest international sea lane. More than half of the world's supertanker traffic passes through the region's waters."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/spratly-oil.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1998/art5-sp8.htm

Note: I brought this subject up back in 2008:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/crude-oil-absolute-must-see-program-21427-81.html#post215941

...and in 2005
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/16006-post38.html
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very troubling, but since many in that area do not want an American presence they may just have to accept what is coming. The American public is getting a bit tired of being vilified and then asked for help when the ---- hits the fan. Our reduced role in Libya is an example. Maybe Iran or Russia will protect them.:D
  4. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

That's true. I wish I was in Subic when the Americans dropped their keys and took off. I know a few business owners who were there at the time and they have secured themselves real nice plots of land where they build boats with help of the local cheap and English speaking population while benifitting from the perfect (American) infrastructure and tax free import. Being there at the time with some money at hand and a good businessplan was like winning the lottery. I'm sure those guys are now laughing at us trying to deal with the Chinese.

You guys don't have the big naval base anymore but 2 year ago (while having a beer at Vasco's) I withnessed a large American Navy ship unloading army trucks in the bay. We estimated that we saw approx. 150 trucks with personel being unloaded before they all left Subic in one big convoy. I'm sure the American Army is still well presented in the Philipines.
  5. brian eiland

Its beginning !!

have you been watching the news lately on that new rig the Chinese have moved into Vietnam waters, and the aggressive stance they are taking in Philippines reef waters.

More conflict to come....
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Film at 11:00?

Popcorn ready?
  7. brian eiland

This won't be funny !!
  8. brian eiland

An older news article
    And you wonder why China is building an even bigger naval force,...including major aircraft carriers.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Really? You find it humorous?

Brian, I'll admit to not being well informed on this issue until you brought it back to the front today. So, I read quite a bit. I can certainly see why to someone in that area this would be a major concern. It sounds like an issue that it only going to grow and none of us can know the potential impact.
  10. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Jane packing her bags, yet?
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Brian, it may be important to take into account that some of those oil rigs, if not all, that you are seeing in these areas belong to companies involved in Joint Venture exploration or the building of permanent rigs for production of proven oil or gas finds.
    The Chinese government is in partnership with a multitude of international companies with a proven track record in exploring and then extracting oil and gas.
    While this may one day lead to nationalisation of these finds, as seen in some African nations, it is doubtful China will scare away the skills and capital required to get to these resources.
    If you can find a name on any particular rig, or see a company logo, then google it and you will find this is the case.
  12. brian eiland

QUANG NGAI (VNS) — Fishermen from Ly Son Island off Viet Nam's central coast are still casting their nets around the Hoang Sa archipelago, their traditional fishing ground, despite the presence of an illegal Chinese oil rig in the area.

China set up the rig with the aid of a large number of vessels, including warships, last weekend. Viet Nam has said the move seriously violates Viet Nam's sovereignty over the Hoang Sa (Paracel) archipelago and its jurisdiction over its exclusive economic zone and continental shelf.

The act is also said to violate Viet Nam's sovereignty over its waters and threatens local fishermen's operations.
    Fishermen upset with Chinese rig - learningenglish - VietNam News

The Chinese Haiyang Shiyou-981 oil rig that has been illegally moved to Vietnamese waters. The brazen violation of Viet Nam's sovereignty threatens the livelihoods of local fishermen, who are demanding its removal.- File photo Xinhua

Attached Files:

13. brian eiland

The $1 billion Chinese oil rig that has Vietnam in flames Wash Post article

Attached Files:

14. brian eiland

Another reason for concern to the pleasure boater.

What if you were a buyer of one of the popular Diesel Duck trawler vessels built in HK, and you wanted to do a sea trial, or start you adventure home by sailing over to the Philippines (which many do). Do you really want to traversing this area in a year or so when real potential conflict breaks out :eek:
  15. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Too Funny.

Even Forest Gump understands Saigon = Ho Chi Minh City.

Certainly even you remember that old Nguyen was not a Capitalist.

Did I miss your post regarding Ukraine?
  16. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

China

I think Brian is correct in being concerned with this issue.
    From what I can gather, there is no Joint Venture with either neighbouring countries (as in China and Philippines) or China and an international company with this particular rig. Unlike the Biebu Gulf, where there are Australian and US companies working with the locals.

Ship from China rams and sinks Vietnam fishing boat in South China Sea | News.com.au

This is bad news all round.
  17. brian eiland

Natuna

I just noticed that the dotted lines on that map I posted in the original posting didn't really reach southward enough,....they didn't seem to include the island(s) of Natuna which are also in dispute between Indonesia and China.

I bring this one up as it is the site of what is believed to be the largest gas field in the world. Big problem though, the gas comes out as a mixture of something like 75% CO2. You just can't release that surplus CO2 to the atmosphere without causing a possible nuclear winter around portions of the world.

But someone is eventually going to go after this. Better hope they have the technology to do it, a proper safety record, and the finances.
  18. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

19. brian eiland

Actually I do think it has been brought to their attention in a very abrupt manner,... with some of the horric smog problems they are experiencing in a number of their own cities.

So no I do not think they would purposely release this on the world. And it would be a world wide problem.

Interestingly the solution is likely finding an economical feasible way to compress the CO2 and put it back into the ground. That is the same technology we need to keep our coal-fired power plants working here in the USA. Good technology that needs more work / development.

The additional problem in Natuna is all those huge compressors that would be needed to be on offshore platforms....EXPENSIVE to build and maintain....and be Typhoon proof
  20. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

China may have received the memo; but doubtful it was read.