Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Westport

Ferry on Fire in the Baltic

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Oct 9, 2010.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They just said on the news that they can not put out the fire by spraying more water, without sinking her. So she is now anchored and they seems to hope the fire will burn out...
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Cultural diversity is a wonderful thing, but a common language is of paramont importance in an emergency. Those using diversity as an excuse when they're really just trying to save pennies would do well to remember that. Personally, I'd like to know when my crew is saying 'let's throw the bleepin' owner overboard' or 'there's a fire down below'.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As Marmot's post illustrates, there are more reason for using an English speaking crew than just the Jones act. Cheaping out on crew costs could cost one his boat or life.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It is far too early too blame the crew for anything. No one was lost and that is the best any crew can accomplish so for now they should be praised, not suspected. That is a RoRo ferry and as such it is quite possible that a truck cargo may have caused or contributed to the explosion and fire. This is a possibility that I think will make a lot of people very very uncomfortable.

But, this is a wonderful seque into the most recent sellout by congress and the coast guard.

September 27, 2010 Federal Register (75 FR 59281):
    http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-24154.pdf

It will eliminate the long standing law which required the licensed officers of an American flagged vessel to be citizens of the US. The proposed change in the law is disguised as "recognition of STCW" as required by that treaty but is written to remove the prohibition against employment of foreign seafarers on offshore supply vessels in US waters. The anti Jones Act crowd has appended the following to the proposed new law:

(C) Any other vessel if the Secretary
    determines, after an investigation, that
    qualified seamen who are citizens of the
    United States are not available.

This will effectively eliminate the American Merchant Marine as it is almost certain that for the next few years at least, no American mariner will accept a 12 month assignment with no vacation and no benefits that pays $3000 per month. They will not "be available" to work for less than their mortgage payment. The shipping companies must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of not having to pay Americans. The race the bottom is speeding up.

Back to ship fires, they mean nothing to American politicians and most citizens, they haven't since the Morrow Castle burned a few prominent people in view of the Atlantic City boardwalk. The CG and politicians who have been bought off to pass this new law are not likely to be overly concerned about its long term effects. Their families don't work on those ships, they don't vacation on them or take ferries much further than Staten Island or Bainbridge.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely no blame is implied. My comment is general; referring to the need for a universal language at sea. As for the attack on the Jones act, may those who strike it down and their families be the first to die as a result of trying to make the merchants work as efficiently and effectively as Dell's tech support reps.:rolleyes:
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ed, If your skin is so thin that you think my drawing attention to the fact that the rest of the world does not operate under a protectionist regime was an attack on that you should stay home and toughen up a bit, the world is a big bad place once you leave the dock in Long Island.

There are less than 100% Diligent and Responsible Crew available off the dock in all nationalities a prime example you may be familiar with is the operators of the USCG Boat that ran down the family in California.

As for your reference to Dell Tech Support - Don't buy one and you won't have to deal with their support.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Latest news about the ferry is that they today will try to fight the fire from inside and also pump out the water so she does not sink. It was probably a truck that exploded and started the fire.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is good news, it is also quite fortunate that the weather has been calm since this started.

Given the ships quoted location the whole scenario must have developed soon after she sailed as it is not far from Kiel
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When it comes to selling out the American worker and the security of my nation I am absolutely thin skinned. When it comes to accepting mediocrity as the standard I am absolutely thin skinned. When it comes to giving up my safety and security I am absolutely thin skinned. When this is done to fill the pockets of some fat cat I am absolutely thin skinned. The proposed changes are not designed to improve the industry. They are designed to fill certain pockets at the expense of everyone else. As for Dell, I fell for their advertising when I was ignorant on the subject, and was put through hell for 6 months. I didn't accept it. They paid, thanks to our Attorney General. Maybe we should outsource his job as well. Because it's cheaper to hire sub-standard workers is not a reason to do it. And yes, America has it's share of sub-standard workers and I put up with them no better. I don't believe in lowering standards because they're too hard to reach, and I definitely don't believe in lowering them so some cheap B can fill his pockets.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ed, It is even worse than I thought.

Your hands are flashing over the keyboard you can't read or can't understand what I wrote in the first place.

I was the one who mentioned the Jones Act in Post No 6 when I wrote Ed, Welcome to the real world not sheltered by the Jones Act.

If you see this statement of fact as an attack on you or the Act itself you are obviously not as well versed in the English language as you would like to think.

Maybe you should be tested on it before your next renewal or is even compulsory to speak English in the US these days.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I thought Ed was responding to my post that referenced the current proposal to eliminate the citizenship requirements for officers on US merchant ships. That will effectively satisfy many if not most of the goals of the US based anti Jones Act gang.

Sorry, didn't mean too hijack the thread or create a misunderstanding between our favorite contributors.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It was your post that I was responding to. Also the need for a universal language to be used. I believe the thread got split into 4 semi-related directions, i.e. protecting American maritime jobs, confusion caused by poor language co-ordination, cheap labor and this incident.