Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

Yacht Brokerage Customer Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by SeaEric, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I have lately experienced quite a "run" of wacko, time wasting, unqualified customers that come to look at boats for sale. These folks have no real interest and/or ability to consummate an actual deal. I have shared privately these experiences with some of my yacht broker colleagues who have had similar contact with some of the very same players.

This is a fantasy- and I know I can't do this; especially here on YF- But I would really like to post a list of the names. Yacht broker beware.

Is this just another phenomenon of our challenging economic times?
  2. Peter Barrett

Peter Barrett New Member

SeaEric,
    I recognise the "type" you're referring to & unfortunately they're international & breeding fast. I've been selling real estate for 36 years and if I had a quid (dollar) for every tyre kicker and or carpet crusher encountered I'd no doubt have enough to buy a decent boat from you. Ah well, all part of life's rich tapestry!
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I would say it's far from a waterborne phenomenon. In my line of work I get to talk to a fair number of yacht brokers of the four-wheel land yacht variety as well as four- and two-wheel go-fast brokers. They see the same thing, pipe dreamers coming in to kick tires, surprised that the merchandise isn't being shoveled out the door at below fire sale pricing. They come in with delusions of grandeur about their wallets and illusions of finding the loss-leader deal that nobody else has yet smoked out of the companies.

If the $70k Caddy CTS-V isn't $15k out the door, what makes a person think that a $200k Lambo Gallardo LP560-4 is going to roll off the showroom floor for $90k? A friend of mine had someone seriously offer $90k cash for a $214k sticker Lamborghini.

The manufacturers do collect the names of these people, and they are from time to time disseminated to the dealers. Those of us who are tangential to the industry just get a good laugh from the secondhand stories.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm in the market for a Harley. There are some factors to consider from a buyers perspective such as there's a lot of talk about Harley needing to change its business model. Most of all, prime riding season here ends in a week. A seller may not want to think about these things, but what buyer wants to be the last one to buy something before the price falls. Just ask anybody who bought a house 2 years ago. Now I intend to make a good deal for me, but if I make a stupid bid you might be desperate and say yes. Otherwise we've just begun negotiations. But wouldn't I feel foolish spending a bunch of money that didn't need to be spent for fear of asking a simple question. A friend in the real estate business once told me that it takes him about 100 showings before he makes a sale. So each time he showed a house he smiled and muttered 'thanks for bringing me closer to the sale'.
  5. lobo

lobo Senior Member

Well, the trick probably is to know your market and not trust the brokers too much, it’s their business to sell high. Research the target’s time on market, the asking price history, the owner, etc. and then make an educated bid, explaining in some detail where you come from. At least it worked for me: we made an “educated” bid of $500k cash on a SY asking $1.5mio, got a rude response, 6 month later the broker calls and we buy at $515k. It all depends on the situation, I guess….
  6. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

But surely if the only humans you came in contact with were actual buyers, you would get extremely bored ? Flicking elastic bands at your staff can get stale quite quickly.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well, I guess that offer definitely qualified you as a "wacko, time wasting, unqualified customer". Personally, for $985,000, I'll be that and a whole lot more.:cool: It's a salesman's job to get your money into his pocket. I consider it my job to keep it in mine. Now if I could just get my wife to understand that concept.:eek:
  8. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    SeaEric, I can empathise with your exasperation but we must have looked at 70 or 80 boats (we had 3 surveys done-only one passed) in our recent search (3 years ago) and we ran into all kinds of BROKERS!
    The most memorable fellow was a house painter (still had his overalls on) and the porch he must have been painting the day he showed us his listed boat was dark green.
    We used Lobo's technique and made an offer-nope. Even the painter's boss agreed that our offer was quite fair.
    Aside from Yachtbrokerguy (Tucker Fallon) most fell short of Mr. Fallon's service AND outstanding performance. That being said, most were quite pleasant to deal with none-the-less. Our search for "our" boat took about 1.5 years and now we're BOATING wackos.
    Savasa
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Perhaps I need to clarify-

I'm not talking about customers who make legitimate offers, in writing, low or otherwise.

I'm talking about, in particular, a recent customer who made a cash offer ( no financing contingency) in writing with a check for a deposit. The offer was accepted after some negotiation. A day or two later the customer informs me that he does not have the cash for the purchase, or the funds in the account on which the deposit check was drawn (which has now had payment stopped).

The "excuse" is that the customers intended line of credit had mysteriously vanished. This after years of this same guy inquiring and looking at dozens of yachts and making scores of offers which were not accepted.

I welcome any and all sincere customers to come, look, make their best offer in writing with a real deposit, and get whatever "deal" we can get the seller to accept.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Truly there are people who get some sort of perverse pleasure out of wasting people's time, and salespeople are an easy mark. I think they're the same people who drive 50mph in the left lane, then speed up when you try to pass on the right. It's their one pitiful way of gaining some sort of power. I just push them off the road. A salesman's version would be to qualify the prospect. Not easy, but that's why the best waste the least amount of time. Personally, I'll push for a "no" rather than settle for a "maybe" which would probably make me a lousy salesperson. Zero patience for time wasters.
  11. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

It's a different world between sale and resale.
  12. Lrgyot

Lrgyot Senior Member

I too have experienced many of the same types, and If i understand the OP correctly, its not regarding buyers who look at 25+ boats, because any broker will not mind doing this, as long as his buyer is serious.

These 'customer' stories are really quite unbelievable, I've spent hours on the phone to these people answering every question possible, and when it comes to the time of sending me back that contract or purchase agreement they magically seem to disappear.

Of course, we can never actually know until the time comes to sign that contract and pay the piper, and have to treat everyone as a legitimate buyer until they show us otherwise. However frustrating it may get at times!
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I have spent as much as 4 years working with a buyer to find the right yacht. I'm more than willing to do that. This assuming the buyer is legitimate and sincere.

Exactly the subject of this post. The offer on the boat usually involves the trade of a beachfront condo. Somehow, the signed agreement and deposit check never arrive. Then subsequent voice mail messages and e-mails go unanswered.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whenever I've dealt with a courteous person trying to sell me something I've always tried to let him know why the deal won't go forward whether that be I bought someting else or left the market for whatever reason. Most don't, but it's just a nicer way to do business. Plus, if I ever do go back to that person I find them eager to help.
  15. pwd3

pwd3 New Member

Buyers are liars.......sellers are story tellers
  16. travler

travler Senior Member

And What Do You Guy's Realy Think

Travler
  17. lobo

lobo Senior Member

Sometimes life can be tough for a legitimate buyer too :
    Searching for our last yacht, I received a video from a broker, of one of the internationally known „? & ?”-brand broker houses, which he took on board a 70’ SY centrally listed with him in Florida. The footage broke off at some point “… due to camcorder problems …”, but what we saw was still reason enough for me to buy tickets for my wife and me from Europe to Miami for an inspection.
    Arriving at the Marina in Palm Beach, we found a “boat is open” note at the dockmaster’s office, but no broker around. The yacht looked good at first sight, but when we lifted the floorboards and opened the engine room, we knew what the camcorder problems really had been and why this pride of the broker profession never showed up on his central listing that day.
    We turned around and, $8k poorer but a lot wiser, flew back to Europe. We never heard anything from that broker again, but keep telling the story with full names on every dock we tie up to.
    Only trust a salesperson you know personally, or who comes with a first class reference from someone you trust. Apparently, glossy ads and big company names are no assurance whatsoever for quality in this industry.
  18. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Sissy stories thus far...the truly aggravating buyers are the ones who, after having been shown a dozen boats, go directly to the seller and make an offer.
    The listing broker--as well as the seller--, thank gawd, is a stand-up type who blows the whistle on the "buyer" (that sack of S___). 'Buyer' steps away from the deal... broker is shocked! I tell you, SHOCKED!

All that over a half-million dollar boat---akin to the types who hold up the Seven Elevens. Yo, try a bank, Big Guy!

Time are tough and this sort of behavior becomes more common than you'd think as these experiences are exchanged between brokers, who, as a group, I find to be more honest than most buyers and some sellers.
    Ain't the internet great?

BTW, the erstwhile "buyer" (KH) drove a new 750 Li and had a very tony place off Las Olas. Appearances do deceive.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How do you think he paid for that tony place? Actually, the buyer did nothing wrong (although ethically disgusting) unless he had some sort of contract. Had the Seller (who had a contract with the broker) gone along with the scam that would be actionable.
  20. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

As an owner of small airplanes and now boats too, I hedge my bets when it comes to the eventual sale by keeping my craft in perfect condition and up to date with lots of sweet upgrades ... squawk free. I'm quite sure this is no less expensive than selling a poorly maintained craft for a fire sale price but it allows me to maintain my own self respect.

When the tire kicker low baller comes to see my cream puff I don't mind saying ... make your offer ... sure ... but the sale is inevitable and soon.

The low baller tire kicker NEVER buys my stuff.

To each his own.