Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Lars Modin Design III

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is now 2006 and about time to start a new design thread. I hope to make at least some new yacht concepts during this year.

My first attempt is not entirely new and is developed since the sales of the 170 m Pandora design has been pretty weak...

So here is a 122 m version, 400 feet, with two decks less than the original design from 2004. Still with most of the features from her bigger sister.

Attached Files:

2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Looking forward to another feast of temptations. :)
  3. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Bring it on, Lars.
    We're going to be like kids in a candy store.
    :)
  4. taksan

taksan New Member

One of the things I'd like to see is a big 80m + Traditional Feadship style yacht. Apart from maybe Evergreen which isn't exactly pretty there has never been a big boat designed like that. Sure Utopia has elements of it but its smaller then the larger sized yachts currently being built.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, it is strange that there are no true classic yachts bigger than the Virginian built. Leander could have been one, but with the same forward facing and oversized windows as Utopia and a few other recent yachts, I don´t consider the design classic or timeless.

I have a 60 m design which could qualify, but an 80m+ design will need at least one more deck. I´ll see if I can get something together later on...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

AMG
    I've gone back over all the designs that you've posted, many times. :)
    If you were given a blank cheque and the option to build only one of your designs without interference which one would you build as a statement of your design principles?
    Yes, this is probably a cruel question, but I'm asking anyway and you are a moderator so you can delete the question if you so inclined. :)
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for asking Codger.

I can´t say that I prefer a certain style as my "label" and my answer should really be that my next design will be my best. But as a second best if it is about getting attention, it must be the Bling design. One of these days I will make some deck plans so you can see how the huge open areas will look like inside the continuosly curved glass walls.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/11258-post7.html

A second choice could be the eco-yacht Neo, which is even more futuristic, but in a somewhat classical envelope.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/16786-post106.html

A third choice, just to show off would be one of these 100-footers.

http://www.YachtForums.com/forums/5743-post11.html

And finally, for my personal use, I would stick to the little 26 m classic below, just because she has everything I could ask for and I can manage her myself.

So Codger, which one would you like to have? :)

Attached Files:

8. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

"So Codger, which one would you like to have? "
    AMG, nice trial close.:D
    Thanks for the response. In fairness, I just asked myself if I only had one project to work on and complete which one would it be. Gave me the shakes. Apologies if the question to you was unpleasant to deal with.

Bling is a beautiful set of shapes and the challenges of building her would be worth the price of admission. I have the sneaky suspicion that witnessing you dealing with the yard that you'd choose for the build would be, hmmmm, interesting. Of couse I'd be right along there, micrometer in hand, looking at the flushness of the anchor doors.

Neo has to grab the imagination of anyone that has a soft spot for a sail. But at that length, single handed would be a bit much. There is something private and solitary about sailing for me.

The Day Racer is a sweet, sleek, power look but not for me. I'm still wrestling with the possibility of living aboard...

Your little 26m has a gracious strength. What kind of a range on full tanks would you expect? Could be fun sitting on the flybridge dodging ice off the coast of Greenland in the spring.

If the picture of Anemone was the page of a magazine, it would be finger- stained and dogeared by now, hidden away in a bottom drawer like the first and only issue of Playboy I've ever owned(June 1963). :D :D

Somewhere you noted the justification for a yacht build against spending the same amount on a painting. Ouch, what a great button to push.:)
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The only rationale for buying an expensive painting, at least where I live, is that you can enjoy it all year round. But I still prefer a few months on a yacht.. :)

The 26 m has a range of 3.500 nm at 8 knots and I think 4.000 at 7 knots. Normal cruising speed is about 9 knots with a range of 2.700 nm, so she will take you to almost wherever you like. Especially if you use Dock Express for the long crossings...

(My collection of Playboy is one issue from may 1987, Russian edition!

In the same drawer is a LIFE magazine from july 1957, with Marilyn Monroe and Sir Lawrence Olivier on the cover. Inside is a story on American architecture with Mies van der Rohe amongst other. I value this mag higher...)
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

170 m + 122 m Pandora

Some of you have asked for a picture comparing the two Pandora´s, and since they look alike I can understand this. So here they are again, side by side...

Attached Files:

11. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Lars.

I quite like Pandora (especialy in large), she is one of my favorites of your designs, but to me she has just a few to many angular type lines, with the lines finishing the two long windows in the hull pushing the theme just over the edge, In My Opinion.

Unfortunatly I can't offer any solutions. Except that I wonder if she would look better with a row of large portholes, perhaps even capsule shaped portholes, but running horozontaly?
    Shame, I like large windows.

After another look, perhaps if the five main angular lines were softened a little they may flow a bit better?
    Sort of like Y702, a little bit of curve taking the edge off some of the sharp lines, adding a smidgen more sleekness as you go.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you for the comments!

The big windows in the hull are also balconies to the guest suites, why portholes can not really replace them. Eventhough oversized "portholes" including a balcony would be a great idea!?

On your thought on softening the lines. I think each design has it´s merits and I think Y701 looks twice as good as Y702. One of the few large yachts with soft lines that look OK is Pelorus, although she is a little too big for that kind of costume I think...;)
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Club Racing?

This 38-footer is from last year but today she got a new and more sporty deck and superstructure. In this version she will be a nice day-sailer with a self-tacking jib, but also possible to use for a yacht club as a one-design racer in a sensible size.

Attached Files:

14. ekiqa

ekiqa Member

While I like the look of the Pandora's, I found the freeboard on both to be huge. Over 40' on the 122m one, and over 52' on the 170m one.

The total height from the waterline to the top of the mast is 161'.
    A Nimitz class supercarrier has a height from keel to mast of 244', with a draft of 38'.

Your yacht is nearly as imposing, dockside, as a supercarrier!
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, she is high. But also beamy and to let the light in towards the centre of the yacht, the ceilings have to be higher than on a smaller yacht.

I made a grid with 3m (10 feet) for each floor which is pretty normal for a yacht this size. Here you have the entire history of the concept from the first line to the finished profile.

As you can see, she was a little more aggressive from the beginning to finally grow from 165 m to 170 m, with the superstructure more centered over the hull. The resemblance with a war ship is of course to make her a little imposing. Maybe will keep pirates on a distance too? :cool:

Attached Files:

16. Ben

Ben Senior Member

What are your thoughts on using sliding doors and a railing (with no actual outside space) instead of having a full balcony. This way you get full use of the room, more space and less obstructed views when the door is shut, but also the fresh air and feeling of having a balcony when you open the doors.

About Pelorus, I wonder if she would benefit from a little more visual weight above her hull, but only a little, say 10%-15%?
    Still, I don't mind her as she is.....
  17. jimminychricket

jimminychricket New Member

Seriously! Come on! That larger version is such a waste!
    I guess people can afford that stuff!
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It depends on how you see it? You will have twice the volume for much less than twice the price. But on the other hand, personally I don´t like to have more than four people on a boat... ;)
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Executive Waterjet...

I have not posted many new designs here lately I am afraid, and this is a ten year old 110-footer that I have updated a little....

Hope to be back with something newer next time..:)

Attached Files:

20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Really sweet Lars. Any chance of raising the radar arch a bit? Or is this an open deck that is occupied only at anchor (party on :D )?

Kelly
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.