Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck

David Thomson Designs

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by tartanski, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tartanski

tartanski Member

A few concept designs I'd like to share with the Yacht Forums audience. As you will see most of them are not complete, as I am a creative thinker and tend to languish in the creative process in stead of taking a project through to completion. However I have promised my self to take each one and develop them to their logical conclusion, be that completed interior and exterior design, or right through to manufacturing drawings and so on.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  2. tartanski

tartanski Member

Tar PIKNIK

Inspired by the Hinkley picnic boats, this litte runabout is my absolute favourite of my concepts. Here is the original profile developed in Corel Xara.

Attached Files:

3. tartanski

tartanski Member

PiKNIK 3D

As you may have seen on my other posts, I have moved towards 3D to develop these conceptual designs. And as you can probably work out from the initial profile the design is a litte too elegant. I soon discovered that in 3D the head room wasn't going to be very good.

Attached Files:

4. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Maybe instead of a run about, the top drawing at least, can be adapted for a larger craft, where the overhang at the back of the saloon is the maximum headroom, and by having a split level open helm based on the higher level, maybe?
  5. tartanski

tartanski Member

Thanks for the feedback Jon, that really what i was looking for, I will of course look at that possibility, so far I have a slightly higher version as run about and As you suggest I could make a larger yacht , perhaps similar dimentions to the new Dolphin yacht from Ferreti group.
  6. greig jolly

greig jolly New Member

hello jon stinton!! i'm a yacht designer! woo! :D
  7. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Welcome G! :cool:

You've certainly come to the right place for what you need! :D
  8. tartanski

tartanski Member

3D model update

Just to reassure you that this project hasn't completely stopped I have added a couple of renderings of the CATIA model. I have had to redo the whole thing due to new software, which was in a way a training exercise for me. I am determined to take this project to its logical end, i.e. all 3D details, structures, systems etc. However as many of you probably know its very easy to get stuck in the conceptual phase, which to be honest is where most of my interest lies. More feedback expected , along the way of course.

Attached Files:

9. tartanski

tartanski Member

Re design in respect of the original Hinckley design

After much delibration I have decided that I was straying to far away frm the original Hinckley design, and have therefore modified the lines siginificantly to reflec the original style, (Aft tumblehome, flared bows, and long classic coach roof lines)

What do you think?
    (Hmm seems I cant add an atachment or inset an image today... watch this space.
  10. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Really blunt question
    Are you designing or copying ?
    It's fine to find insperation from other designers everyone does, to an extent but the truely great designers devolope their own style. I like the path you are going down it reminds me of a boat that I drew a few years ago in may ways. Plumb stem a little more flair and a torpedo transom. Go with what you feel is right and the rest will follow.
  11. tartanski

tartanski Member

Design, Innovation, Invention Creativity

Thanks for the post, I get your point, for two reasons,

A) Johnson Yachts have produced a yacht with similar vertical wraparound windows.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/johnson-yacht/1325-review-johnson-yacht-pilothouse-87-a.html

b) There are many lobster boat/picnic boat designs out there already.

However as you may know ship and boat design are some of the most iterative design processes in the world of engineering, due to the fact that every new design that is built is a prototype, as a result it is very often the case that designs take 'inspiration' form other previous designs. In this case I wanted to create a picnic boat, and to begin with it make sense to draw inspiration from the well proven lines of Hinckley's fine boats. And as you can probably see the distinctive vertical wraparound windows are significantly different form the original design. This design feature is just one of the styles I am playing with right now. It originated from my experinece in civil architecture and from the new techniquies of using glued glass as a structural member, that the late Jon Bannenburg mastered .

As he once told me,' it doesent matter what other people think of your design style as long as you think its right, the others will eventually come round to your way of thinking.' ;-)
  12. Garry Hartshorn

A man who I would have loved to have met and spent time with. I have long admired his creativness though many of his boats I did not personally like, I still found insperation and direction from his work. I envy you.
  13. Garry Hartshorn

Having further studied your renderings I do not think the problem is with the windows but more likely the profile of the superstructure andthe reverse sheer in the crown of the cabin. Or maybe in how it blends with the cockpit fairing.
  14. tartanski

tartanski Member

Agree

Yes I agree I was not satisfied with the whole profile so have already changed it. Albeit it now is even more of a copy of the original Hinkley!

However due to the maintenance (I am guessing) I can not upload any attachments to show the new profile.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  15. tartanski

tartanski Member

Renderings

Attachments!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  16. tartanski

tartanski Member

Not my inspiration but...

A very interesting design nevertheless

Attached Files:

17. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Kinda looks like an early idea for Alder!
  18. tartanski

tartanski Member

More Renderings

No Major update here as I have had to spend the time re-modelling all the surfaces to optimise my model.

I have decided to stay with this general form and the main dimensions will remain more or less consistent. However I have noticed that the hull is perhaps not deep enough, or that the coach roof is too sleek. Or perhaps my German Manikins are just too tall.

Attached Files:

19. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Almost as if the height of the floor in the cabin changes, depending on whether the view is from the bow or stern.

Kelly Cook
  20. tartanski

tartanski Member

Section Cut

Well the floor of the cabin does not change but the rendering before did give a weird effect due to too high refraction settings on the glass.

As you can see the effort vs result curve for modelling the interior has got me, OK I haven't worked on the interior at all but I realise I need to start with a 2D plan before trying to fit it all in. Where is my copy of Freehand!

Attached Files: