Click for Alexseal
Click for Llebroc
Click for Horizon
Click for Westport
Click for McConaghy
Click for Oceanco
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT DESIGNERS > Yacht Renderings & Plans > Lars Modin Design

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Closed Thread

Lars Modin Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

OK, then I am with you again

The negative stern that I guess you prefer, is today almost as classic as a traditional positive stern.
If I retain the present hull shape and cut out for a negative stern, she could look good as well. The aft rods have to come closer to the main sail, which influence the shape and sail area a little.
But the main drawbacks are two, in my opinion. You lose the lazarette space, in this case the tender garage.
Secondly you get a more sensitive stern when reversing towards the quay. This means you have to get your gangway out in advance and more crew will be occupied than otherwise. No big deal, but as a captain I prefer the positive stern.
Attached Images
Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

The hull of your design must be 2 metres longer; or the interieur 2 metres smaller I like the sterns of the Jongert M-Line with a tender garage and a bathing platform
Some hatches of the Oyster yachts looks beautiful. Or the hatches of the Ed Dubois designs(43 Meter Red Dragon)

Regards René

P.S.: Thanks, for the cross pole graphic: positive-negative stern

Last edited by Rene GER; 09-22-2004 at 01:24 PM..
Old 09-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hey, Lars, I love that little 25-footer!!! Sadly, that's probably the only boat in your arsenal I could afford Do you have any idea of how much it would sticker for?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

Hi YachtLover, or should I call you BoatLover now?

I have a pretty good figure on the price tag. It would be around USD 100.000 + sales tax, with a petrol V8 and add 10.000 for a diesel giving the same performance.

This is based on EU production, with hand layed up GRP and a pretty high quality on the interior fittings. Mass produced using vacuum techniques she could probably come down about 25 % i would guess.

I´ll tell you if she comes into production!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

René,

I found a transom with the style you like, deep, deep down on my hard drive...
It also has something we can call a hatch, that opens up to the stern garage
/Lars
Attached Images
Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 AM   #36 (permalink)

Yes! That's the stern that I like!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

The revolving wall!

Here I´ll show you an idea I liked very much at the time (1997). You are however the first to see it since it´s creation!

The yacht is just an ordinary planing flybridge boat, around 70 feet/21 meter.

The extraordinary is that the whole glasswall to the aft deck, including floor and fittings, revolves.
This way you can always prepare the table while your guests are having their drink in the bar. Then it is up to you, or the weather, to decide if you are gonna sit inside or outside to eat! In effect, you have two bars and two dining tables.

In a yacht of this size, the flexibility might have some advantages?
Attached Images
Old 09-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

Simply Brilliant Lars! A sliding gangplate, indoor/outdoor bar-dinette... excellent space utilization. And one more time.... a timeless design. Bannenburg, Hargrave... you're in good company.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

200 Feet 2-masted Schooner

I was reading about Mari-CHA IV, built to be the worlds fastest monohull, on the BIG sail yacht thread. She has two identical rigs, an idea I had in 1993 when I made this concept on a classic schooner with a modern rig. Should look pretty good at the St Tropez sailing week?
Attached Images
Old 09-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

150 M2 Skerry Cruiser

Another classic concept I made just recently, is this 150 square-metre so called Skerry Cruiser. The type has a long history in our archipelagos, where boats of this type has been sailing for over a century.
The Rule covers boats of 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 55, 75, 95 and 150 sqm and I have made a boat that should, after some calculations, hopefully go into the 150 sqm class. Right now it is just an idea to further develop, but nevertheless an exciting yacht!
Attached Images
Old 09-24-2004, 02:11 PM   #41 (permalink)

Over a century?...The hull form too? The hull looks like a modern america's cupper!

René
Old 09-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by René GER
Over a century?...The hull form too? The hull looks like a modern america's cupper!

René
This rule permits any hullshape, so they are all different. In the past they had a gaff rig, but from the thirties they were all converted to bermuda rigs. Today some are again converted back to the gaff rig and I think it could be used on this as well. Especially now when we have high tech composite spars. Remember, this kind of boat is not for offshore sailing and the mainsail area is lifted as high as possible to get good winds in between the islands. Fun sailing

/Lars
Old 09-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

OK, I understand it!
I'm glad about more designs from you (Maybe modern sail boats?)

Regards René
Old 09-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

33´/10 M Sailing Boat

OK René,

I appreciate that you like my boats, but I am afraid I don´t have too many sailing boats. But I have one that I made on the same concept as the 95-footer you have seen. But this is only ten meters, Dix in French. I have learned that there is a yacht designer with this name, so excuse me if this should be confusing...

Anyway, Dix is supposed to be a light weight construction and be able to sail pretty fast in all conditions. On the drawing she might look like a meatball, but in the water she will look more like a space ship...
Attached Images
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

Launchette 32

There are a growing number of lakes and inland waterways where traditional powerboats are not allowed. The solution is electric boats and the power can be generated to the batteries by sun cells or fuel cells. In Stockholm a ferry service with biogas/electric propulsion is under development and there are similar concepts elsewhere too.
Since the power is limited, an efficient hull is needed and what is nicer than to look back a hundred years, when the first powerboats were seen.

My boat is designed for a speed range of 8-18 knots, the latter with an optional diesel engine of 75 hp.
It is a dayboat with a convertible dinette, plenty of space to sit underway and a small galley under the sliding glass-top. She has a walkaround deck to starboard for easy entering and to avoid the inside corridor of vintage boats.
With an almost silent propulsion, this is the way to motor. With grace.
Attached Images
Closed Thread