Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Mike Kajan Yacht Designs

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by Kajan, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this forum and as many before me, I thought I should start of by sharing one of mine designs with you guys. I’ve been a devoted reader of this forum for quite some time now and decided that someone other than my wife should comment on my designs.

I’m a boater myself but with a craft far from most of the yachts discussed here. We spend our summers in a 10 meter boat and really appreciate the fact that we can go to any harbour or anchor in any bay in our beautiful Swedish archipelago, not having to take size in to consideration.

I realize that having this said, it is a bit contradictory to share a design of a 200m Giga yacht, but I was curious to see if it’s possible to design a yacht this size and not end up with a cruise ship, war ship, wedding cake or worse, so here goes.

Cheers!
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Welcome onboard Kajan! Nice design and what I like the most is that you are working in 2D...:) I hate to see those distorted 3D renderings that are popping up everywhere and has little to do with yacht design...
  3. Apache2k

Apache2k Member

I like the white one very much. Good work.

@AMG:
    Have to ask, that do you mean with "distorted 3D renderings" ?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I mean they are reproduced with strange perspectives, so you can not get the right proportions, the right "centre of visual gravity".
  5. Apache2k

Apache2k Member

Ok, now i get it :)
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

Kajan, very nice work, powerful looking in either colour. what program are u using, also wouldnt mind knowing what program your using to Lars?

far
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Far, i am using the best 2D illustration program, Freehand. The sad thing is that Adobe has bought it from Macromedia and is no longer updating it since they think a million Freehand users will buy Illustrator instead. This will not happen, we´ll continue with Freehand until we retire...:)
  8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Kajan, your designs are nice. I like the blue hulled version. She actually reminds me of "Carinthia VII". So they have like Zero Speed stabilizers coupled with retractable finned stabilizers?
  9. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Thank You, Lars!

Far, I’m using Freehand and I have to agree with Lars regarding the use of Freehand and the advantages previously discussed in Lars´threads.

YachtNews, yes I find Tim Heywood’s design appealing with the slanting aft part of the hull and I guess the blue colour adds to the similarity of “Carinthia VII” and not so much when in white.
    I’m not a N/A so the stabilizer combo would have to fall under the “why-choose-if-you-can-have-it-all” category. Not sure if both systems are needed though.
  10. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

150 Meter, while at it...

"Ice Crystal" and "Chocolate".

Attached Files:

11. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The Chocolate Brown hulled version reminds me of something that I have seen by Azure Naval Architects. From an aesthetic standpoint, the design works and can be built today because it looks rather contemporary. I wouldn't have the transom sloping so much though but that is my opinion and neither am I an architect.
  12. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Down scaling the 200m concept

When designing a Yacht, I think it’s hard not to find some similarities in old designs, in particular if you want the design to be somewhat timeless.

In my case, some 30 odd years of following boat and yacht design, makes up for my perception of what to like or not and eventually some of these details may end up in my designs with some added twist.

The idea behind the 200m yacht was not to look into the future but rather to use some of my preferred design elements and up scale.

I’m going to keep down scaling the 200m to 150, 100 and one 50m yacht to see for how long the proportions of this particular concept can remain the same.
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

Kajan, Lars

can u use freehand for layouts at all? and how long does it take u to produce something of that quality and size (150-200m yacht). i checked out the pricing and it all looks pretty good.

ill have mine in the 'Ice Crystal' thankyou :D

far
  14. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Layout

Far, I would guess one day per deck for a “simple” layout without shadows or too much detail, if you have directives and a master plan at hand. It also depends on what resolution the design should be presented in.

I’m planning to show a layout for the 200m yacht soon but I haven’t decided what to put in her yet, it’s quite a nice “problem” when you have these proportions to play with.

Many of the interior details created can be reused and altered in many ways making future work easier and of course that goes for the exterior as well.

Right now I’m adding the last details on the 100m version in this series.
    The 150m version took about 4 hours to create since many details could be reused and altered from the 200m yacht.

/Mike
  15. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Renderings

Thanks, Apache2k!

What would it take to make a rendering of a 2D design in terms of angles/views? How far would you get with a side, top, front and back view?

By the way. I really like your work!

/Mike
  16. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

100m

It takes me longer to come up with new names then it does to downscale, so "no Name"...

Attached Files:

17. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

200m 150m 100m

...the chopper crew got tired waiting.

Attached Files:

18. 84far

84far Senior Member

Kajan, yet again very nice. i think the boats looks better when u have a different colour with the hull compared to the superstructure... makes the sheer line stand out more.

and for your nice "problem" with the 200m, i think a pool with a beach and club will take up a bit of space :D

far
  19. orion

orion Senior Member

200m looks fantastic nice, some of the nicest i ever seen in this size range.
    Great work!
  20. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Colour

Far, you're probably right. To keep the 200m yacht from being mistaken for a cruise ship, the colour should be anything but white.

Pool with beach and club... mm... I like that. I've a couple of ideas for the tender space aft, let's see if it all fits... maybe I need a bigger yacht?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.