Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort

Jon Bannenberg

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Octavian, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Hi,

I am a student at the International Baccalaureate at Berg (Oslo) and I'm writing an extended essay on John Bannenbergs influence on modern yacht design, and I'm trying to find information on Pre bannenberg yachts in order to compare their designs to modern superyachts. This however, turns out to be nearly impossible as there is a very limited amount of information on the subject, which brings me on to the reason as to why I'm writing this. Does anyone have information that may prove to be beneficial in my investigation or any links that might be useful? I would really appreciate all the help you can offer.

Thanks.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I am not sure..maybe you can check out the Bannenberg and Rowell website to see what you can find or further more contact them and see what response you get there first. However, I am sure you can find persons here who could tell you a bit. Here is the continued site with 'young' Bannenberg...

http://www.bannenbergandrowell.com
  3. Octavian

Octavian New Member

I did check out the Bannenberg and Rowel website, but they don't seem to offer much information that is useful to me. I will however contact them and i'm sure they can be of some help.
  4. Yacht News

5. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Yes i'm afraid i have. i've searched around quite actively, but it seems really hard to find anything specifying the design features such as raised hull lines and large oval windows etc that were typical for the Bannenberg yachts.

But thanks a lot for the effort, and if you stumble across something please be sure to notify me.
  6. Yacht News

I have not found anything in such specificity as yet. What I am seeing is peripheral information concerning the subject thus far.

from the Timmerman Yachts website

You can also look at some of the boats that he would have designed. Example: 42-meter "Sheergold" built by Amels with interior and exterior design by Jon Bannenberg. Compare 52-meter "Lady Ghislaine" also designed by him. You can see the progression in design even though the two boats were delivered a year within each other. Sheergold in 1987 and Lady Ghislaine 1986. You can compare these earlier Amels designs to say a modern Feadship 72-meter"Predator". Go to the Amels website and you will see. Maybe you can compare this with say the new designs from the son Dickie and see the large differences.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Are you looking for yachts that were designed before Jon Bannenberg came on the scene or his early works?
  8. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Well the idea was to gather enough information on yachts that were designed before Jon Bannenberg to be able to establish what design elements he introduced and from there exploring the impact those design features has had on modern yacht design. And since this essay i'm writing is supposed to be 4500 words I figure some examples are in order.
  9. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Thanks a lot, i will look into it.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A starting point may one of Jon's early work.

Camper & Nicholson built a lovely 72' ketch 'Natacha' but was finished to Jon's unique "style".

It had great big windows that leaked like hell, the crew were frightened they would blow-in one day.

The interior had no handholds or fiddles.

Not a great success. It seems to be missing from mutal history.
  11. Yacht News

Octavian, take a look at these pictures by this wonderful superyacht photographer. It contains pics of the interior of the Feadship "Predator". Not all of them are of Predator though but the pics have tags and captions when you place the cursor over them. I think it would do you well to study the interior of Predator as one of the latest designs from the continued studio.

http://www.yachtimages.co.uk/images.htm
  12. Octavian

Octavian New Member

thank you YachNews, i apreciate all the help you're giving me.
  13. Yacht News

Of course a number of yachts on that site do have interiors by Bannenberg and Rowell studios. It is not just "Predator", I think I should point that out to you if you did not know.

Here is another boat by Bannenberg, the famous "Highlander"
    http://www.forbeshighlander.com/
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, you are right in that the Bannenberg studio changed the design on superyachts from what it used to be, but mostly he introduced design as a competitive edge. Previously the Naval Architects were in charge of all the design, but JB and his team changed the scene.

The good thing was that he explored all kind of concepts, opening up for new ideas, some better than others. Old members of his team still use some of this styling and other designers are borrowing elements, perhaps without thinking of it.

Anyway, it is really easy to distinguish a JB design if you have followed the yacht biz over the last four decades. And people who have not, quite often think boats he has never touched must be from Bannenberg, just because they are different. :)
  15. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Thanks, i must admit that i haven't been following the yacht biz that long (about a year), but i am absolutely stunned by the magnificence of these vessels. When you say that the JB design is easy to distinguish, what design features are you thinking of? i would really appreciate it if you could take the time to elaborate on that :)
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Maybe I phrased it wrong, I mean they are all well known, but not the same. In fact they are quite different from each other if you compare to other designs.
  17. Octavian

Octavian New Member

I see. Well of course his designs (most of them anyways) are well known. Carinthia VI (the one) for example, but there must be some sort of design elements or concepts that are repeated right? or is it more a case of him creating a few amazingly innovative yachts that alone changed the way other designers drew their yachts?
  18. SAB

SAB New Member

Have a look at Oceanfast yachts (Australia) particularly from the mid 80's up till say mid 90's - JB had a big involvement. Go to Google- select 'images' and search for 'Oceanfast' - there you will see some further examples of the style of JB.
  19. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Thanks.:)
  20. Octavian

Octavian New Member

Carinthia VI (the one) is considered to be among the most beautiful yachts made, but at the time she was completed (1973) she "scared the pants off people" as Dicke Bannenberg said. What design features made her so terrifying and howcome she is widely recognized as a yachting icon? what's so special about her?