Click for Moonen
Click for Alexseal
Click for Westport
Click for Lurssen
Click for Dockwise
Click for MCC
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT DESIGNERS > Yacht Designers Discussion > How much do yacht designers make?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Reply

How much do yacht designers make?

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
How much do yacht designers make?

Can someone tell me please is a yacht designer, yacht cad designer and yacht architect and naval architect all the same thing?

I was at the London boat show and met the owner of a yachting company. He was so interested in what I had to say, obviously he would be because he really wants to sell me a boat. But this went deeper. I had ask this owner if he could do a custom build for me and he said he could. I then went into brain overload mode and started to showing my creative side. He was totally blown away. I started moving all over the boat. Showing how this feature could be made better. How the cockpit could be improved to maximize space. How the stateroom needs adjustments etc etc. Anyway he started saying where does all this creativity come from? I told him that my family are like architects. They have built from the ground up all our houses. There very creative and that's where all my ideas stem from. From watching them as I grew up. He said he was very impressed. You see by profession I'm a trader. I work in the import/export of commodities. He immediately said to me your trader right? I said yeah and told him that above field I work in. He told me that many people have come by and seen our boats at this stand. But none of them have gone into great detail like I had done. He further said I had asked all the right questions and that I had done excellent research. He even said your ideas could go into a future model. I then felt if I had amazed him so much. Then he's only at the tip of the iceberg, as I honestly feel I could create incredible yachts. I then told him how I would like an innovations company one day. Which builds amazing inventions and how I would like to build a car, yachts and so on and so on. He was very interested. I felt that he was going to offer me a job working for him which I would absolutely love. I got his contact details. Do you think I should ask him for a job? He sent me a very nice email the other day.

I would love to join his talented team of designers and present my ideas that could go into a future model say for the companies 2010 line of yachts.

Do you know what the pay is like? do I get a cut as in a percentage of equity stake in the company or is it just a fixed salary. The thing is as I work full time in import/export where I make very good money. So coming over to put all my time into boat building means losing a lot of money in import/export and I would only do it if the pay from boat building could keep up. And the only way it could is if I got a percentage cut on any boat built.

I think with my talents I could design the finest boats which would sell by the thousands. As you can see I am very ambitious.

Please give me any input

Many thanks in advance
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin
 
YachtForums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 18,176
For the life of me, I don't know why you posted this to the FAQ's. Is the salary of a Yacht Designer REALLY a Frequently Asked Question?

The real question is... who is theYachtMan?

In your first posts, some months ago, you said you had 3.5 million to spend, plus upkeep, to buy a 100 foot yacht.

In a subsequent thread, you asked what was the fastest boat you could buy, stating you had 1.5 million to spend.

In your most recent posts, you had settled on buying a 24 foot Bayliner.

Will the REAL YachtMan please stand up?

This post has been moved to the Yacht Designers forum.
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,374
Hi,

Maybe this guy used to have over 3 million to spend and now his stock portfolio value has been reduced by the turmoils he has had to reduce his expectations but I suspect that he doesn't have anywhere near that amount either.

It says on his profile that he doesn't know where he is so I guess given that he would know what he is as his occupation given above differs to his profile and he could also probably not remember who he is so don't hold your breath for the real yachtman to stand up Carl- It might take the poster a while to decide who he wants to tell you he is.

Beware smoke and shiny things.

To answer his question. In my experience Yacht Stylists which I guess he is fantasizing about being get paid a set fee for each job. The ladder to be come a successful one is long and steep. Anyone who thinks they can just front up and start of as a worldbeater with no previous training or experience is more in need of some counseling from a medical professional than a careers adviser.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,365
i'd be tempted to say that if boat and yacht designers made enough money, they'd be able to afford to spend more time on the water and they would not make the stupid mistakes you often come across!

unworkable engine rooms, lousy helm designs, cleats in the wrong locations, ununegotiable side decks, ridiculously small swim platforms, etc...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
Many thanks for your replies

Like everyone I have a budget. Sometimes I go too into the deep end with grand budgets like when I wanted a massive 100 foot yacht. As a first boat I believe now that to be too big. So I then looked at a aft cabin cruiser like the bayliner's. Then I decided to go back to having a yacht but on a smaller budget to see if I actually like the yachting first and if I do then I will get a massive yacht in the future.

I can tell you this. My parents have built magnificent homes which we have sold over the years. It's one of our many businesses. The house designs have won many awards for it's incredible design innovation. I would now liked to take this to the next level into the boating arena and believe that I really can do something special. My parents are like architects we give our design to a cad designer who then models it, that cad designer is the architect. Not us. But in some cases we actually understand the plan better than the architect. So in some cases my ideas could be better than a naval architect's ideas.

So anyway you call this profession 'Yacht Stylists'. So what is the set fee per job?
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyachtman
So anyway you call this profession 'Yacht Stylists'. So what is the set fee per job?
Hi,

The set fee is as much a variable as the weather. It is a price given to the client by the stylist and depends upon the degree of involvement and complexity required. It can range from a few thousand for the sort of boat you would have seen at the London Boat show to hundreds of thousands for the bigger boats.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
K1W1

Many thanks for your reply

Perhaps a stylist is not what I'm looking to be, as it seems from your reply that stylists are used for clients as in custom builds. I actually want to give my design talents to the boat building company designing their next model range of boats, what do you call this profession?
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyachtman
K1W1

Many thanks for your reply

Perhaps a stylist is not what I'm looking to be, as it seems from your reply that stylists are used for clients as in custom builds. I actually want to give my design talents to the boat building company designing their next model range of boats, what do you call this profession?

A stylist- The client would be the yard

Maybe you could post some of your design ideas on here for some member critique as a few other guys have and do.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
K1W1

Many thanks for your reply

So the boat building company would be my client and I would be the stylist that would design the boat. Then they would build it. I get paid for that a set fee. If I am only going to be paid a few thousand then I see there's no point. I would rather pay to setup my own boat building company and reek in far bigger profits. I had hoped that I could perhaps make something like 10-35 percent profit from any boats sold that I design.
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyachtman
K1W1

Many thanks for your reply

So the boat building company would be my client and I would be the stylist that would design the boat. Then they would build it. I get paid for that a set fee. If I am only going to be paid a few thousand then I see there's no point. I would rather pay to setup my own boat building company and reek in far bigger profits. I had hoped that I could perhaps make something like 10-35 percent profit from any boats sold that I design.
Hi,

If you think that there is that much profit in a yacht build to be able to pay the stylist that much don't give up your day job you won't get close to that on any project I have been involved in- I have been involved in quite a few during my 25 yrs in the business.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

If you think that there is that much profit in a yacht build to be able to pay the stylist that much don't give up your day job you won't get close to that on any project I have been involved in- I have been involved in quite a few during my 25 yrs in the business.
It's good that I am in communication with you, someone with 25 yrs of experience is welcoming. The boats this company sell cost £380,000+ that's there cheapest model and it goes up to £650,000 across about ten of their models. I hoped they would use my design in which I would redesign all their current models for their new 2010 line as well make a brand new range for 2010. So would I make this few thousand pounds on every boat sold using my design?

Many thanks in advance
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CODOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bournemouth, southern England
Posts: 419
I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. UK pay will be circa £20k per year for someone with talent but no qualifications or experience...but you wouldn't get a job anyway.
These are normally awarded to those who have either got good degrees but no experience, good experience but no degree or at least years of being around boats and with some design flair. The queue is very long at the moment, and it is full of people who have been around for a considerable time...not just off the boat as it were.
I've seen loads of people who have a healthy opinion in their own abilities but crash and burn when it comes to the most basic of real-world design office pressure..talking the talk but not walking the walk..there are many many who have taken this road before you, and only a very few have made a go of it. Its incredibly hard to get your foot in the door when very talented and experienced people are pushing it shut. Thats it, I've run out of different ways of putting it politely.
I suggest you use this builders contact details and, er, contact him. Ask him the questions you are asking us, then let us know how you get on.
CODOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: don't know sorry
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODOG
I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. UK pay will be circa £20k per year for someone with talent but no qualifications or experience...but you wouldn't get a job anyway.
These are normally awarded to those who have either got good degrees but no experience, good experience but no degree or at least years of being around boats and with some design flair. The queue is very long at the moment, and it is full of people who have been around for a considerable time...not just off the boat as it were.
I've seen loads of people who have a healthy opinion in their own abilities but crash and burn when it comes to the most basic of real-world design office pressure..talking the talk but not walking the walk..there are many many who have taken this road before you, and only a very few have made a go of it. Its incredibly hard to get your foot in the door when very talented and experienced people are pushing it shut. Thats it, I've run out of different ways of putting it politely.
I suggest you use this builders contact details and, er, contact him. Ask him the questions you are asking us, then let us know how you get on.
Many thanks for your opinion

I believe I have already impressed this owner and feel he may give me the chance to prove to him I have talent. You see I think he wants me to prove to him my talents by paying for a new build. As he said to me if you want us to do a new construction then you could input all your ideas. I wonder if afterwards he would offer me a job when he sees the final finish boat that I would of designed for the price he charges me. This way I am kind of buying my way into the business.
theyachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CODOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bournemouth, southern England
Posts: 419
Sorry, I don't understand. Is this boat you would buy from him going to be designed by you ? Or is it an existing design that you would add ideas to ?
Do you actually understand what designing a boat means, as opposed to buying someone else's design but as an owner, changing the specification.
CODOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NYCAP123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,911
Quote:
I wanted a massive 100 foot yacht. As a first boat I believe now that to be too big. So I then looked at a aft cabin cruiser like the bayliner's.
Wow, that's some spread.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are EST. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Click for Ferretti
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for DeAngelo
Click for Moonen
Click for Llebroc
Click for Pacific Mariner


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2