Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

How do crew manage being away from loved ones?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by MYCaptainChris, Aug 31, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Over the years I have spent way to much time away from family and the better half. Often I feel like giving up my job to become land based but just know that within two weeks I'd want to be on the water in some form or other and thus back to square one.

I try to talk to my girlfriend daily and parents weekly but time zones, work schedules etc often don't make this so practical.

A couples position would be perfect for many couples but in my case this is impossible. I feel very thankful that my boss is very understanding, allowing me time to go home when the yacht isn't busy. However this season so far has been back to back so currently have been away from home since May.

So how do fellow crew members deal with being away?

I'm sure everyone has different ways to make it seem better. With me I find the more I work (i.e. no days off) the better I cope.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Left alone

So how long have you been at this cap. If you're serious about your hon it may be time to look for a position where she can come on board or a boat that's home ported where she is. Otherwise it may be time to head into a different area of the business. In general girls don't like being left alone for months on end. It's not like you at war. She'll eventually see this as you choosing not to be with her.
  3. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Point well made, and all that is already in my head.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It becomes very difficult to do after a while. It is the reason I choose not to go full time. I did have a delivery and had to wait for an engine rebuild and all in all was away from home 2 months. Phone calls help a lot as often as you can. A webcam can also help for loved ones if you have internet capability. Sending little gifts can help and reminds loved ones that you are thinking about them. I don't know where you're currently located, but flying your wife out to you, even if it's only for a weekend helps as well. BUT, all in all it is real trying on a relationship no matter how you cut it.