Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Newbie needs help.

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by TheScotsman, Aug 26, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TheScotsman

TheScotsman New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to sailing and I'm already hooked. I'm thinking about making it my job because quite frankly I'm not really good at anything else.

I've been reading a few sailing magazines and read that fulltime skipper's sail other people's yachts, my questions are:

1) Do you need any sort of educational qualification (High School Diploma, International Baccalaureat, A-Levels and so on) or are you trained up by your maritime school to sail these yachts?

2) Once you've gotten all your maritime school qualifications can you start sailing yachts immediately or do you start off cleaning the toilets and working your way up?

3) Where are you most wanted for work? (America, Dubai, Mediterranean, Australia, Other)

4) Is it possible to make a living from this?

Any feedback or information helps, thanks.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This post has been moved to the Yacht Captains forum. In the future, please use the search button located on the wood NavBar above before opening new threads. Often, you will find the answers you seek.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

What was that phone number ofr that school?... 1-800-TRUCKMASTER?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"I'm thinking about making it my job because quite frankly I'm not really good at anything else."
    Sorry Scotsman, but I think you'd best go back to flipping burgers, because in this business you better be pretty good at most everything and fast to learn the rest. Your life, the lives of other people, and a lot of money are riding on your expertise. Quite frankly I consider your opening statement an insult to everyone in this business,
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

wow... tough crowd!

I agree though, hard to take someone seriously when they start by saying they're not good at anything, especially in this field!

Get started by learning the basics... sail with friends... crew for free on smaller boats, La Rochelle has a large sailing community, start there. People often look for crew members on sailboats for local races... good way to learn, work your way up.

abilities and attitude are more important at this stage than anything else.
  6. TheScotsman

TheScotsman New Member

Thanks mate.