Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Freelance Captain/mate

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by nfougere, Jul 30, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfougere

nfougere Guest

Professional, freelance captain/mate available for crew needing a break, delivery help or owner operators needing a bit of training. I hold a RYA.MCA 200T offshore and have over 10 years experience. Canadian passport and a green card holder. I am situated in West Palm Beach, FL. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Captain Norm
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Capt. Norm,
    I believe you need a gig on a boat heading out of this country.
  3. nfougere

nfougere Guest

gig out of the country?

NYCAP123,

Not sure what you meant about that comment. I do not need a "gig out of this country". In fact that is the reason why I refuse full time "gigs" out of this country. I'm trying to stay closer to my wife.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't believe your license allows you to work as a captain in the states, and quite frankly you're attempting to take work away from a US citizen.
  5. nfougere

nfougere Guest

With all due respect captain you are wrong. I am a US tax payer and as long as the US vessel I am running is not engaged in commercial use (Charters) it is legal for me to run.

If it was not legal then anyone who owns a private US flag or US registered vessel (jetski, center console) from Cuba or Canada, without a US passport would be illegally operating in US waters. Could you imagine how many of these vessels are foreign owed.

This information comes directly from the US coast guard.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I view it, the moment you accept money for operating as a captain you are engaged in commerce. I further object to your taking a job that can be filled by a US citizen which happens to be a violation of US immigration policy. Canada would show me no more of a welcome.
  7. nfougere

nfougere Guest

Actually you are wrong there also. I have met and had no problem with captains who work on Canada flag vessels or British flag vessels. If they are better qualified than someone else then they deserve the job.

You are turning this into a political battle. There are many captains on this post who are foreign and legally allow to work in this country and do so on US flag yachts.
  8. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

All due respect, this is rather repulsive. What's the difference between a natural born citizen taxpayer, a naturalized citizen taxpayer, or a green card holding taxpayer? That taxpayer is paying the same taxes as you or I.

My mother happens to be a green card holding Canadian citizen, came to NY in 1961 and decided not to give up her heritage - in return, she is taxed, pays into social security, works here, and is unable to vote (taxation without representation).

She's an EMT and retired nurse, now office manager for an OB/GYN - in the time she's worked there (~10 years), a dozen and a half American citizens have come and gone.

Your point of view, even while specifically limited to Captains, is - to be as kind as possible - unfortunate .

Having resident alien status in Canada as an American citzen would make you eligible to work where you wanted, doing what you wanted (except certain government jobs, as in the U.S.) provided you paid taxes. You'd also be eligible for the health care too, since you'd be getting so highly taxed like all other Canadians.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

By request, the thread has been closed. Apologies to the thread participants.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.