Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Captain Needed

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by antiquato, Jul 20, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. antiquato

antiquato New Member

We are planning a cruise from South Portland Maine to Annapolis Maryland, Herrington Harbor North; we are in search for a professional teaching Captain. The specifications are as follows:

2004 Carver – 396ES
    Twin 8.1 Mericruiser Horizons Gas Engines (160 Hrs) 370hp
    Kohler Generator
    LOA: 40.1
    Beam: 13.
    Bridge Height 18’

TIME FRAME: Any time after Aug 8th, arriving no Latter than August 27th in Maryland.

We want to cruise at about 1800-2200 rpms, 8-9 knots, for best fuel economy... We estimate the trip at 550nm, with an estimated 6 day time frame.

The Boat is in Top operating condition as the best surveyor on the East Coast gave this boat a rating of 10. “Antiqua To Sea” is equipped with Garmin GPSMAP 2010C, with sounder, Raymarine SL72 Radar, Standard Horizon VHF Radio, Bow Thruster.
    Also I have a Handheld Icom VHF, Garmin E-trex for backup. New Bottom Paint
    Steiner Binoculars and Night Vision Scope.

I have purchased the Gamin Bluechart MUS700J, (the entire East Coast) , The Maptech Region 3, 4, & 6 Chartkits, 2008 Waterguide for North Atlantic and Northern Edition along with the Facilities Guide.

Antiqua To Sea, has all the Coast Guard Requirements, including PFD’s, Waste and Oil Placards, Navigation Rule Book, Life Sling II, Coastal Flair Kit, Medical/First Aid Kit Approved MSD, All Inflatable life vest are equipped with ACR FireFly Waterbug Strobes and whistles..
    She Has 4 Fenders and Holders for Fenders. Dock Lines. Current Oil and Filter Change.

The Captain accommodations are quite nice, to include a private queen birth with TV and DVD, and with a Private Head and Shower. We will provide snacks, soda and water. If you drink coffee let me know so I can bring a coffee maker. Make a list of your preferred snacks and drink and we will have them for you. We expect the Captain to be professional, neat, organized and courtesy at all times. No Drinking, No Smoking, No Profanity. The boat does not a scratch or ding on it and I expect the captain to ensure that docking procedures are in line without damaging our vessel or others.

Although I am a 100 ton Captain, I have no applicable applied skills in the ocean environment as all my cruising has been in lakes. We are skilled in fundamental boating.
    We are professional but relaxed and laid back and I am a joker…

Our objective on this cruise is to become one with our boat. To know how to Dock, Maneuver, Chart plotting, Navigation, Weather Tracking, Radar, General Maintenance, Knot Tying, and other technical techniques necessary to navigate our boat through all situations.

The Captain is integral in our quest to learn so that we can navigate ocean and near coastal waters, and in the near future do the Great Loop.

If I can provide any additional information, please ask…

Contact Info:

Ken & Mary Ellen Teller
    antiqua71 at gmail dot com
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

I am not a Captain but am sure there will be one or two who reply to this ad.

You would be well advised to make your e mail address a bit disguised so that automated web crawler bots don't pick it up.

You can simply change the @ to something else or add some character into the line to break it up

antiqua71- @ _gmail.com or antiqua71 at gmail.com should help keep you off spam lists.

You will see that they don't show up in blue like the one you posted, this means that they do not show up to the forum software as e mail addys, the same should apply to searching bots.
  3. antiquato

antiquato New Member

How do you Edit...Ken
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Post has been edited. Please read the rules regarding the posting of e-mail addresses and phone numbers.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Capt Ken (as I see you call yourself elsewhere on the net).

What exactly is the Great Loop you are referring to near the end of your post?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Antiquato,
    It's not my place to tell anyone how to post so I was hoping that my heading to you would give you the hint. Otherwise I would have PM'd you to keep it private. BTW, Annapolis, "MS" ?
    If you're home ported in Annapolis, bought the boat in Portland and are trying to get it transported home you might want to forget the scenic trip and put it into the hands of a captain for transport. You've got several very good ones in your home port, and competition there may have their prices lower than elsewhere.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i wonder why anyone would want to "forget the scenic trip" they would enjoy bringing their new boat home? it's a great opportunity to learn the boat while enjoying a trip in waters they might not otherwise get a chance to enjoy.

a few years ago I found my 53 right here in miami, it was nice not to have to spend $$ on fuel to bring her home but otherwise the trip home would have created nice memories.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The trip from Portland is just long, and not what that boat is designed for. No fun or even great scene there. Just water. He'd do well to have it brought down to Newport and meet it there. From that point there will be scenes and learning of things relevant to it's future use. He'll get enough "open ocean" experience on his run down Jersey, but with the advantage of being able to hop inside if need be. This is PLEASURE boating. Sometimes when you jump in with both feet you just drown. On the other hand, when they are ready to circumnavigate the east coast I'll surely discount my rate for that as that's been a dream for a long time :D (I'm sure they'll do that alone though). For them or anyone else contemplating doing the loop I heartily recommend watching the PBS series "On the Waterfront" I think it was called.
    BTW, Pascal makes a very good point about running the coast. I consider it a college education in boating. Every boater should do it once. However certain experiences you can do without. Of my 2 dozen plus runs up & down the coast one was completely outside. Since I lived through it I'm glad I did it, but going around Hattaras in a gale is not an experience everyone needs. Likewise the run from Portland to the CC Canal in a little boat.
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

K1W1
    It is a trip through the Hudson River, Erie (NY State) Barge Canal, Great Lakes into Chicago, Illinois River, Mississippi River, Ohio River, the Tennessee-Tom Bigbee Waterway down to Mobile Alabama, and then the ICW back up to where you started.
    A very interesting trip (once :) )
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Like the way you ended that Ken. "Once:) " Just how I feel about the ICW. The funny thing is that I always manage to learn or see something new along the way; it is beautiful and for most of us it's done on different boats and with different people. So why do we bore so easily? Must be the wonderlust that got us into this business in the first place. I know people who go to the same vacation place week after week, year after year and love it. They go to the same office day after day. I often envy them doing their 20 or 25 safely and having a pension waiting, but when I think of going back to an office I think I'd go nuts. Sorry guys. I digress. Didn't mean to hijack. Maybe there's a different thread in there.;)
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

NYCAP has turned me on to an interesting looking DVD about some guys who spent 4 yrs doing that and filmed it all. I have ordered it this morning from a place in Miami via Amazon and hope to have the 4 disk set in about a week or so.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most of the Great loop is a little over-exaggerated. I just did Ft. Laud to NY, up the hudson, Troy to Oswego, Welland canal, Lake ontario, Erie, Huron, and Lake Michigan to Chicago. Troy to Oswego was a very nice part of the trip as was the Detroit river. The Hudson was over-rated and the great lakes were well just large lakes. All in all it was nice, but not awe-inspiring. I am going to do the chicago south to Ft. laud in a few months.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah, we do become jaded.:D Actually, timing is everything. Last October I did eastern Long Island, up the Hudson to Troy and back in 5 days (liesurely). Even met up with the Clearwater along the way. It was gorgous.....Fall Foliage season. I also don't recommend the Great Lakes and Chicago in January (real cold and stormy) or Georgia in mosquito season. On the same note I usually get my coastal runs after hurricane season (no bikinis and lots of winter storms). This may also account for why I seldom want to do the same trip twice. Turn a pleasurable hobby into a job and it becomes a job.:(
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"Georgia in mosquito season"

how about horseflies season?? that's far worst than mosquitoes... in may when i went thru, there were thousands of them on the boat. I dont' know how those without a pilothouse or enclosed FB make it thru alive...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How could I have EVER forgotten about that?:eek: I've only hit Georgia 4 times I believe and only once with the flies. I avoid it like the plague. Lovely state, lovely people,but those flies:eek: Plus it's just faster to run across from St. Augustine or Mayport to Hilton Head or Charleston.
  16. antiquato

antiquato New Member

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded.

I have found a Capt.

Capt Frank. He is well know on the Eastern Seaboard.

If the moderator could delete this thread, would greatly be appricated.

Capt. Ken
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I doubt declining of the thread would stop all traffic to your e mail addy as you seem to be readily identifiably owing to the number of other posts you have elsewhere online.

The forums are as far as I am aware are not a Classified Advert cover, bearing this in mind and as a newbie poster you should maybe ask the admin to close it not delete it so other searchers can use your e mail as an indication of your bogus inquiry's