Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Need delivery crew FL to Nassau, July

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Norseman, Jun 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

63 feet ferro ketch from Fort Lauderdale to Nassau. Probably mid-July.
    Most likely no sailing, just motoring. The boat has some electronics, but most of it is old stuff.
    The new owner will meet the boat in Nassau and haul it there for bottom job and inspection.
    Some deffered maintenance to be expected, but the 120 HP Ford Lehman seems to run good.

Send me PM for details.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Is this the boat that was sitting up the New River near Little Florida since the early 90's?
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Negative, this boat has been sitting in a residential canal up the New River for about 20 years. The owner has lost interest and rightfully so.

Now he has changed his mind and decided to take the boat across to Bimini himself after he found out about the new channel there.

The price for the delivery is about $1200.00 divided between Captain and Mate and includes air fare back to FLL. (Just in case the owner changes his mind again)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's the one. If I remember correctly it used to be docked right where the New River forks. If it moved to another location there it's probably the only move it's made. Most likely there is 20 years of growth on the bottom. Good luck. It should probably be put down as an artificial reef. As for that fee, someone needs to remind him this is 2008.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is the delivery to Bimini or Nassau, later posts seem to contradict the thread title.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nassau/Bimini, that's the least of the problems with this. They're going to haul it for a bottom job and inspection in Nassau instead of in Ft. Lauderdale and after instead of before a 75 mile open ocean trip. I remember how fast barnacles grow in So. Florida. And "some deferred maintenance to be expected" sounds like "the house need some TLC". "Most likely no sailing", I'm thinking bring a real big oar.:D Thuthfully, it sounds like it could be a great adventure and a learning experience for a young captain.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

CAP this is what confuses me. I don't believe either Bimini or Nassau are 75 nm from FLL
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're right K1W1. What is it about 40? Been a while since I was in F.L. With that boat though it may feel more like 1,000 when they hit the gulfstream.:D When I was living there some tourists headed there with a rental boat and a placemat map from a diner.:D
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bimini is just under 50NM from miami, so figure around 65/70 from FLL. Nassau is another 125NM from Bimini...

Let me get this straight... the owner wants to take a Ferrocement boat that's been sitting for 20 years across the gulf stream to Bimini, then Nassau and haul it there for inspection AFTER the crossing?

barnacles can be scrapped up before leaving that's not an issue... i'd be more concerned about what has grown in the tanks!!! actaully, with a neglected ferro boat, that too isnt' a concern... everybody is assuming that is will not break up when it hits the first wave out of Port Everglade.

seriously I know that some ferro are sound, but taking any neglected boat across the stream without a thourough inspection is simply crazy...
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Come on Pascal. After that 9kt cruise up to Nantauket you're not up for this. Regarding your concerns, I think they were covered with: "Some deffered maintenance to be expected":D BTW, I remember scraping those Florida barnacles off my little tourboat that ran every day (but had bad paint) after about 15 months. "not an issue"???:eek: The bottom of this boat may be a very big issue. Heck those barnacles may be all that's holding it on.;)
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My thoughts exactly.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i didnt' say the hull was no issue.. i said scrapping the barnacles is no issue. BUT, now that you've mentioned it, maybe the hull is kept together by the barnacles!!! If so, is there away to pour cement in the water, over the barnacles? at least they wont' rust :)

what's wrong with 9kts? less fuel for the owner, more days for the captain. win win for all! :)
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay boys, that was a tiny bit of speculation going on there...

The boat has been docked at present location for 20 years, I did not say, or mean to imply that it has not moved in 20 years...It has.

It was hauled 5 years ago, then it sailed to the Bahamas, did a 3 week cruise in the islands, then sailed home to Fort Lauderdale.
    It has not moved since.

Yes, the bottom has a 5 year furcoat on it, but the prop was cleaned a few days ago.

For your viewing pleasure, here is a picture:

Attached Files:

14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

oh.. 5 years of neglect instead of 20... that's better. it will sink in deeper water, not in the inlet.

sorry, i just couldn't resist!
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It will cost $1200 just to get the bottom cleaned enough so she can make it up the New River to where it can be hauled to get the bottom cleaned. I'm glad Florida tracts down owners of derilicts left in the back canals or this would be one. Hopefully this owner is not a friend because you need to tell him to open that wallet wide or donate the boat. Otherwise cut him lose.
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I am very well aware of all of the above.

Told him to have the fuel tanks cleaned as well as the bottom.

No, no and no, all of that would cost money.

Well, it has been neglected for 20 years, it has just been moving while neglected...:D

Seriously, that is not my kind of boat, or my kind of maintenance program, I am just being helpful getting the boat out of here, as it is docked across the canal from me and I had to look at it every day for the 10 years I have lived here...:(
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"as it is docked across the canal from me and I had to look at it every day for the 10 years I have lived here..."
    :D :D :D That answers it. He probably figures that eventually you'll buy it or pay for the move. I hear that next comes the purple & green paint:D . How deep is your canal:cool: ?
    Knew there was a laugh coming out of this somewhere. Sorry it had to be on you.:D Good luck.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, yes the good laugh will be on me when that thing motors out of the canal in a couple of weeks.

I have worked hard the last 2 months getting read of it and finally sold it to a guy overseas, sight unseen. The money is transferred and the boat is paid for.
    Part of the deal was to have it delivered to Bimini, but that seems to be solved now that the (old) owner is going to take it across the Gulf Stream himself.

Not deep enough, otherwise the neighbors would have sunk it long time ago.

Happy times ahead and crossing fingers the trip down the River will be uneventful...
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have to remember to call you when I have ice to sell in the arctic.:D You might want to set up cameras by Little Florida and Riverwalk when she heads down-river, especially if he miscalculates the tides. This could make Youtube:eek: Here's hoping he doesn't meet the JQ:eek: :D
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

a neglected ferro bought sight unseen... why do i have a feeling it's not even insured? so what happens if the boat doesn't make it to Bimini? could be messy!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.