Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Interview questions for a Captain

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by PropBet, Jun 12, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Please list yours. (or somewhat of a summary of your interview questions you like to ask)

Primarily looking for a sail boat Captain who can cross to motor as well. The one we have is great. Needing another for a diff. boat. Kinda lost as he was 'given' to us on a personal referral so we are in search of another.

Must ask?
    Should ask?
    Would be nice to ask?

Much thanks-
    PB
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are many questions to ask. Some of them would be what situation the Captain is looking for. Is he looking for a long term position? Is he looking at staying in one area or visiting many. What are his qualifications. Where he has travelled to and what size vessels he has worked on as well as how long. What salary he is looking for. How much time he is looking for off. How mechanical the captain is and what projects he knows how to do and is willing to do and where he draws the line on calling in someone else. etc.
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

questions for a captain interview

I will take a controversial approach and will advise you to first set a profile that you would be looking in a captain, thus asking the questions to yourself first.

1- What kind of scope you are expecting from a captain's duty? Do you want him to be a manager for your boat's expenses and repairs, arranging things and handling finances on his own.
    2- Are you going to have a number of crew reporting to him and expect him to arrange their duties as well?
    3- How is your character in general? Do you use your boat yourself often? Are you detailed oriented and want to get involved in most things about your boat, or do you delegate responsibility?
    4- Do you like to be friendly with the people around you or do you like to keep a distance with them?

Etc..

Once you can clarify a profile that will suit your needs than
    one can take the technical aspects of running a boat as a must have issues, granted to be possessed by an experienced captain. In this respect, I suggest you check at least few references before you hire.

As to the profile of the nominees for the job, although there are personality tests that are somehow indicating traits of characters, I am sure you can sit down for a friendly interview and have a feeling for most of the points that you would like to have in a person with his reactions and descriptions during the course of your discussion.

If he is somebody who want to socialize easily, then he will not be comfortable if you keep a distance. If he is somebody who want to take responsibilty and you do not delegate, again it will be a difficult environement for him. If he is somebody who wants to work on his own, but you want him to manage a large number of crew, same sad ending.
  4. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Nilo did a pretty good job with his post.

It is great when an owner knows what his expectations are, and communicate these effectively to a potential new hire. This really goes a long way towards establishing a long term relationship with your captain when the "bloom is off the rose".
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Thank you nilo- Good input.

That's kind of the process in which I've gone through in the back of my mind, so for the sake of this conversation and gathering information, I'll add / answer those questions as well.

Yes, manage holistically with a simply process of keeping us 'on board' what the what and why and rubber stamping the financials needed behind it. I need to know at a basic level what and why, you [captain] make the best decision, and we write the check (so to speak).

Yes. He is the Captain, so the first mate, deck hands, cook, engineer, etc. (all of one person) would report to him. It's not my interest to micro manage the daily / hourly efforts. That's what you're [captain] being paid to do.

Yes, use will be often and solely for ourself, and not out for private charter while we are not on her. I need / want everything detailed for my records and understanding but at the end of the day, I want the management to be with the captain of the smooth operation and functioning of the boat.

Certainly needs to be friendly with others, of course. I want to know he's there when / if needed, but not in my shadows. in a real world scenario, if I'm there and I need a tender or toy launched, I'm happy to give order "please launch ____ (tender/toy) but on the other hand, I've done it many times myself, so I'm happy to do so / willing to do so if I need. I don't want to have to hunt him down to have it done, but again, I don't need him in my shadow to be there for every single movement.

Every owner is different, so I guess the biggest issue is getting through the first set of 'dances' to understand what one another's expectations are and what the 'normal' routine is.

In proof reading what I just wrote, I think I just answered a lot of my question. The biggest issue is understanding and communicating what the expectations are on both ends. It's the initial off and running stages which are critical.
  6. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Sounds like you are well on your way. Communication with an open, and honest dialogue is key.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Question No:- 1

Do you like him, remember you're not only spending every vacation with him (and his 'family') but also do you trust him to run your business/major asset.

If the answer is no to any of these, say thankyou but no and walk away.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I would pose this question to your current captain. He knows what you like and will be best able to steer you in the right direction.
  9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Yes, we have.
    We'd rather just clone him skip trying to find another!
    He had some good input as well, and will be a part of the process in choosing another as his input is from hands on experience.