Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Captain's Image?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by NYCAP123, Apr 19, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Captains from different segments of our profession (Commercial fishing, small boat, sport fishing, military, megayacht, sail, motor, freighter, etc.) present different images to the public. I just ran across a couple of pictures in P & MY (paper) mag on page 100 of the May 2008 issue and am curious to hear opinions. Please post with the type and size boat you work or own.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is certainly a different thread subject, but for privacy and security reasons, this thread will probably not propagate well. Keep in mind, the majority of YF's members are owners... not captains, crew or industry. Although the latter tend to participate more, it's VERY important that YF doesn't take on a commercial undertone.

On the subject of captain's images, please refer to our guidelines on avatars. ;)

YF Rules & Guidelines...
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g...-yachtforums-rules-directions-guidelines.html

Thanks!
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

BTW NYCAPT, welcome to the geriatric ward. You graduated early...
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No, I'm just about on time for the ward. :D I wrestled a lot with whether to post this question because, just from his position, I assume this is a very highly qualified captain. The image of a captain serving hors d'oeuvres dressed that way at a yachting function though seemed so far afield from the image of Capt. Stubing, Frank Mundis, Mr. Roberts, Capt. Ron or Capt. Bly that I just had to ask. Most captains I've known have been very jealous of their reputations and the owners of their boats are very proud of their captains, but this situation is now out there. I'm just wondering what the younger generation thinks.
    I've edited out reference to the specific mag, and If you can think of a better way to phrase to better show the respect I do have please feel free to edit this further.
  5. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

NYCAP,
    Hello from a former LI'er, now living in the tropical world of south FLA.
    Regarding the magazine article you saw: the event was a brokerage show, not a public boat show. Many times yachts go all out to show the brokers not just the yacht, but the crew, the toys and amenities. Along with that, brokers know that to make a fun charter, you have to have a crew that's engaged. What you saw are various crews not just having fun but getting the broker's attention. Brokers can make or break a yacht, and these crew that rely on charters want brokers to promote their yachts, and one way is to wow the brokers with fine food, getups like you saw and other means.
    BTW, I know who that captain is that you refer to, and he is one of the best in the biz. No problem with him and others letting loose once in a while.

BTW, I have enjoyed some of your commentary on the forum. Welcome aboard.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks for the welcome Cap,
    Had it been someone I might guess to be a marginal talent I wouldn't have mentioned it because the message could be misconstrued, but obviously he's a pro in the first degree. His pictures were so over the top though that they made a good example for something that i think should be discussed.
    The more we enjoy what we do, the more our guests and clients enjoy their time on board. If we do our jobs right our clients think of us as friends and employees there to entertain and serve them. Even when all hell breaks loose and we're scared to death we keep our guests smiling. Once in a while though we have to put on our captain's hat and take charge whether the boss likes it or not (Once back at the dock he can fire us, but at the time that is our boat). We blurr the lines, and the more the lines are blurred the harder it is for us to take charge when necessary. I think a captain must maintain a certain "air of authority". Personally I think this cap went a step too far to be pleasing (maybe he could have incorporated a set of boards on the shoulders of his chestplate :cool: to set him apart from the crew).
    Now, I'm an old dude with certain views on propriety, but I'm curious how other (younger) captains deal with this and where yacht owners like their captains to draw the lines.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have not read this Magazine (for years) and can not comment on what this captain was up to, but most captains in this biz know they are working on a pleasure boat. A good yacht captain is there to make the owner happy, not worried. I know a captain who was running his Feadship back from St Tropez to Monaco on one engine, without telling the owner something was wrong. He didnĀ“t want to spoil the experience for the owner and was dealing with it after he had left the yacht.

Some captains however, are talking of all the diffferent problems with the yacht, the crew and what is around like if they would like to tell the owner how good they are that can handle everything. This you can do in the merchant marine, but it is not a good idea on a yacht.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

AMG,
    That's our job, but that's a little off topic. Eventually we all run into the owner or guest who wants to take the helm and do something risky or otherwise endanger themselves or the boat somehow and we have to put our foot down. People tend not to take that well from their buds, but they understand when it comes from the ship's master.
    That's the line I'm talking about, and I think that both captain's and owners wrestle with where to place it sometimes.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I haven't had the opportunity to read the article or view the pictures however, by reading between the lines, I think I understand the question at hand. Correct me if I'm wrong- NYCAP is asking if yacht captains are becoming too close to the guests/owners, thus blurring the lines of professionalism and safety. The answer is a simple NO.

One often overlooked fact is that we yacht captains are in the business of pleasure-boating (the key word being pleasure, not boating), so if our guests aren't getting the utmost joy from their boats, we aren't doing our jobs well. Let's face it- a great part of a yacht captain's job is hospitality management.

A wise older captain and I were discussing what advice we could offer to up-and-coming yacht crew geared toward becoming captains. I recall him stating that a young crewman should first go to engineering school for 3 years before learning hotel management for 2 years. After such time, the candidate should spend 2 or 3 weeks learning to drive a boat!

While this is certainly an exaggeration, the qualification to job ratios are certainly in-line with real world applications. I'm not suggesting that we can take any engineer or hotel manager and turn them into a great captain. I am pointing out the fact that you can't take any captain and turn him into a yacht captain (have you seen the Deadliest Catch?). There is a fine balance in order for success.

I should also acknowledge that this balance will be different for every yacht and owner. When I was a young captain I had one owner on a 160 footer repeatedly tell me that I should be more stand-offish with the charter guests and not be so social with them. It took me a year to figure out that this isn't the way in which I operate at my best and his wasn't the right job for me (nor for the other 6 captain he went through in a few years). I've since learned that the interview process is a two way street and I have subsequently found jobs that have allowed me to utilize all of my strengths.

I have retained the respect and friendship of several past employers and charter guests (some are amongst my best friendships). The key is knowing how to draw the line between friendship and professionalism. This could accurately be described as similar to the balance when I take my friends out on my own boat; there is time for fun and time for safety (always time for both). I think much of it is demeanor and how authority (term used loosely) is presented.

Just my 2 cents...
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very well put Ken. Basically, match the job to the person and the person to the job. Personally, I'd never make it as a large yacht captain because a) I'm too crusty and b) I like to see my home most nights:cool: . I also wouldn't cut it on the "Deadliest Catch" (Too old & chicken for that:D ). Meanwhile the work I do would probably drive you or them nuts. So, times haven't changed that much, but your end of the business has gotten a bit more casual. BTW Ken. Did you work a dinneryacht out of Chicago & Ft. Lauderdale a long time back?
  11. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The owners/clients have evolved over time. There is still an a** for every seat.

I did grow up working on dinner boats, but not in Chicago or Lauderdale. My dad is in the dinner boat business in Sarnia, Ontario. His boat is called the Duc d'Orleans.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Back at the start of my Lauderdale days I worked a boat called the Anita Dee II under a Capt. Ken (DK last name) and was part of the transport crew up to the Straits of Canso, N.S. on her way home to Chicago. He knew his stuff and had a good head on his shoulders. Was just wondering.