Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Looking for a captain for instruction.

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by hat4349, Apr 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

A group of us were talking the other night on the dock and someone walked up and wanted to know about a captain for instruction, we are located in Southern Maryland, to satisfy a requirement by their insurance company. They have to get so many hours under the instruction of a cerified captain, the only people we knew that are captains got the certification for their own needs and don't do anything commercial. Anyone know of someone that is available in the Southern Maryland area?
  2. Check with the local yachtbrokers, we get captains coming to our offices looking for work all the time. Also check with the dockmaster, they know the good local guys.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There is an outfit called BOATBOY I believe that operates out of your area or NJ. I believe they also franchise. Check with BOAT US.com/procaptains for them and others in your area.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

This week I hired a Captain to run a sea trial. What an experience! I don't know if he was certified, but he was certainly certifiable.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Three questions to ask a small boat captain: 1) What's your tonage? (100GT means he's done some fairly serious work, probably dinner boats and/or crew boats. Less only tells you he knows how to take a test and 6 pack means he probably owns a boat and sits at the marina. More than 100 GT and his experience is probably with large yachts or commercial vessels.) 2) What issue are you on? (You want at least 2nd because most guys who get their license are out of the business within the first 5 year issue unless they're good, hard working and flexible. This is a hard business to get started in because it's all reputation at this level. If he's on his 3rd or 4th issue you've got the real deal and probably more Frank Mundis {Jaws} than Capt. Stubing {Love Boat}.) 3) Do you have references?
    Finally, ask to see his license. There are a few yokles out there transporting and giving lessons without a license which probably wouldn't thrill your insurance carrier.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, either your dockmaster or a reputable yacht broker can set you up with a good Captain or two.
  7. luckylg

luckylg New Member

PM Sent.