Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck

Dubai, UAE Region, Africa, Indian Ocean

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by tunahead, Apr 1, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tunahead

tunahead New Member

I am a working captain (100ton) with excellent references, background , etc. Considering a change and wonder if anyone knows about working in this region. I hear the fishing can be amazing and have always loved fishing unexplored areas of the world. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Bill
  2. meshalj@yahoo.c

meshalj@yahoo.c New Member

Captain wanted

I am looking for good experience captain to work on 90ft yacht (arneson drive) in the Arabian Gulf -Dubai.
  3. tunahead

tunahead New Member

Is this a private yacht or charter? A long term position or temporary?
    Please contact me directly at my email or though a privaye message with the best way to contact you and when.
    I can then forward my resume and references.
    Thank You. Look forward to hearing fom you.

Bill
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Tunahead,

I am not familiar with rules for Captains over there but I can tell you from a lot of experience working in the Middle East to be extremely careful. Your employer usually controls your passport, can prevent you from leaving the country, and has power/control over your rights not normally considered in a western civilization. If they decide you are at fault for something or owe them money they can hold you in the country until you satisfy there demands, and the courts of Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc... will 9 out of 10 times side with them.

So anything you do be very careful and know that even with a good contract you can still be at there and the country's whims.

Check with the state department about this before finalizing any agreements.
  5. tunahead

tunahead New Member

Thanks alot!
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Go British

Many of the world's boats are under British flag. If you get a ticket from them you can work just about anywhere in the world. (Or you can buy one in Panama for $2000 bucks, I think I won one in a Bar once):cool :
  7. tunahead

tunahead New Member

I like the idea of winning one in a Panamanian Bar......which one, do you remember? Fishing there is amazing too!
    Thanks.
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Don't bother, it's totally worthless. I think I am a Tunisian Supertanker Skipper called 'Abdul'. Any worthwhile company will check out your papers with not only the Insurers but also now even the Marinas you visit.

Dave