Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mulder

wood doors

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Capt. Mike, Mar 20, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Has anyone every built there own doors? like the bed room, all my doors were hollow core painted cheap junk. I wanted double sided raised panel mahogany doors on all the rooms.

www.bigwoodenboat.com
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you're intent on this project check out This Old House.com Norm has done a few. But, it sounds like you're looking for something nice so, unless you're a very good finish carpenter and have a good work shop, I'd leave it for the pros. The doors you're looking for can be gotten through Lowe's , HD or several others, but you won't find them on the floor. They have to be ordered and will run upwards of $800. One alternative is to go to one of these warehouses where they strip old houses before demo. You can find great stuff that just needs to be refinished.
    Woops, just hit your site. Tenn. fooled me into thinking it was for a house. Sorry Cap. You are ambitious.
    Call some of the marina's around New Orleans and Mobile to see where the wrecked boats were dumped after Katrina. You may be able to salvage some. Otherwise T.O.H. will show you how, then you can adapt to your configuration.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

were they replaced by a previous owner? surprised to Pacemaker didn't use solid hardwood doors like other builders did. Mines are all solid wood with inset panel (not sure if teak of mahogany but they're varnished and look great)

why dont you try salvage yards or place like sailorman where they carry a lot of used parts ?
  4. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member