Click for Alexseal
Click for Nordhavn
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > CAPTAINS & CREWS > Yacht Captains > Email Warning

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Email Warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
BMS

Email Warning

Just wanted to warn everyone of some emails my company has been receiving. People have been emailing me to take them on private charters, fishing, dive trips etc. They are claiming to be European vacationers coming to the states and want you to quote them a price in return they send you a check to cash and return the left over balance to them. This sounded extremely fishy to me. I learned that this is a fairly common scam that is done to all types of different tourism buisnesses so please don't fall for it.
Boyd
BMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

It is also done with car and property sales.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch or money!!
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Old scam. Funds from a deposited check will generally be available within 4 business days. HOWEVER, the check doesn't actually clear the issuing bank for several weeks. That's where people get screwed up. They think that when the funds are available it means that the check has cleared. WRONG. It could take several months for the dust to clear on a forged, stolen or closed account check. NEVER CASH A CHECK FOR ANYBODY, especially if you don't know them well.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
RER

Are you saying I'm not going to be splitting that $10,000,000 "overpayment" with the nice Nigerian oil minister that I met online?
RER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RER
Are you saying I'm not going to be splitting that $10,000,000 "overpayment" with the nice Nigerian oil minister that I met online?
Have I got a bridge for you. It's the oldest existing suspension bridge in the US, great location and absolutely beautiful. I'm sure Mike would even let you put in a toll if you split it with NYC.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cool Scam

I just tell them that I only accept Western Union for deposits. That's the last I hear from them.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is still, and always will be one of my favs when I read / hear about the scammers.
Attached Images
PropBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
RER

This is hilarious. www.scambuster419.co.uk
RER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
BMS

Thats funny I should reply like that next time I get one.
BMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

http://ebolamonkeyman.com/
Capt Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Have fun...scam the scammers

I get those all the time and have fun with them. Here's what I do: When you get the obvious Nigerian scammer offering to send you a check for a service or article, play along with them. Tell them that yes, you will take their cashiers check for $10000 (or whatever amount) and be happy to send them back what ever they are asking (usually via Wester Union Moneygram). But also tell them that you are leaving town soon, so they will have to send you the check overnight, which will cost them about $30.
Of course they will do this because they think they have a "live one". When you get the bogus cashiers check in a day or two, do nothing. They will contact you. At that point you need to be creative. I usually tell them my puppy chewed it up and the bank would not accept it, could they please send me another? Tell them that you have the Western Union money gram ready to send to them, but you need a duplicate check sent overnight delivery (costing them another $30). I have gotten one of these scammers., to send me 5 cashiers checks at a cost to them of over $150!!! Keep making up stories and they will keep the worthless checks coming. Remember these are illiterate Nigerans, working from printed instructions in an internet cafe in Africa. Here's the fun part. At some point even the most ignorant Nigerian will figure out that he's been had. In your final email to him, explain that you knew he was a fraud from the start, and just did this to make him spent his ill-gotten money, sending you checks overnight mail at $30 a pop. Ask him how it feels to be the prey instead of the predator. They will go ape**** sending you threating lettters (I even had one put a Voodoo curse on me). Yes, I have way too much spare time on my hands, but I have a collection of over 23 cashiers checks totaling over $128,000 !! You can help relieve me of all this spare time by checking out my thread under "captain available, 35 yrs exp" and hire me!
CaptainCap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well there's a unique way to look for a job. Good luck. Hey, since you have spare time maybe you can get a Nigerian to cash those checks for you. Of course you'll have to let them keep a transaction fee and Western Union you the balance.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCap10
Here's the fun part. At some point even the most ignorant Nigerian will figure out that he's been had. In your final email to him, explain that you knew he was a fraud from the start, and just did this to make him spent his ill-gotten money, sending you checks overnight mail at $30 a pop. Ask him how it feels to be the prey instead of the predator. They will go ape**** sending you threating lettters (I even had one put a Voodoo curse on me).
WAY TO GO, Cap!
That will teach them a lesson!
I can just imagine what their faces looked like when they read your email.
Ha Ha Ha !!!
Arniev is offline   Reply With Quote