Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Mulder

"Captain" thread....

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by REALIST, Nov 14, 2003.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. REALIST

REALIST Guest

Allright here goes......Why do so many people insist on calling themselves "captain"? It is used way to much as a status thing and I just don't understand it! I understand that sometimes it is neccessary in professional situations, but why do so many people insist on calling themselves capt on the net, email, answering machines, etc.? On top of that, most people that throw "captain" around so loosely are 100 ton or less. How many engineers do you see going "Hi I'm engineer Bob"? How about "Telemarketer Sue, nice to meet you"....."Salesman John here"..."Paramedic Jose"...catch my drift?? The whole thing is silly to me. If someone can explain it please do........................................................:confused:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Things that make you go, hhmmmmm....

Good question. The only *other* prefix I can think of is... doctors. Generally, I don't like doctors. They charge me WAY too much to tell me there is something wrong with me! Besides, it always concerned me that when a doctor works... it's called "practice"! Thanks, but if I wanted someone to practice on me, I'd find a women who needs the money more than a doctor!:D
  3. REALIST

REALIST Guest

Good point....A doctor spends a just a little more time earning that title than does a 100 ton captain. And what if captains had all the hands on that docs do before earning that title?? That would sure weed some out!! It's always baffled me that you pay so much for a doctors opinion. I've never got any $$ back when they were wrong, or didn't fix my problem!!!
    In the meantime...it seems like most of the names registered on here so far are capt. so and so....Still waiting for some feedback on this whole "captain" thing...............................................
  4. captainbob

captainbob New Member

OK you've got a good point, although I wouldn't be so hard on the 100T guys (unless you are an academy grad). Why do so many guys call themselves captain? Well for the most part it's because everyone, licensed or not, who is in command of a vessel is technically the "captain". Therefore those guys who are licensed (and who are fighting for a share of a fairly small market) need to differentate themselves from everyone else. In addition the exams are pretty hard - if you are an experianced boater who is very skilled, you do not have the skills to pass the uscg exams without a fair amount of extra effort. To make matters worse, after you pass the exams - you still face a gauntlet of cg regulations and proceedures that make the exams the easy part of getting a license. So anyone who is a captain - OUPV or above, earned the title.

Bottom line - if your on my boat on a buddy trip, I'm just Bob. If your paying, for a charter, delivery, or anything else I am absolutely Captain Bob. Enough said.

Fair winds and smooth seas.
  5. REALIST

REALIST Guest

I understand using the title in professional situations. With that being said.....there is never a shortage of work for good captains. There is really no need to compete. If you have 100 ton ticket, can handle a boat, have a half decent mind, and are not a raging alchoholic, there is a TON of work out there for you. I do not automatically respect someone because they passed those hokey cg tests. How about some hands on tests?? Any college student in the US could pass the current tests after taking a prep class.
    TRUE STORY......A friend of mine....hell of a good guy....recently got his 100 ton license. Know what his experience was?? NONE!! Had not as so much driven a fish/ski!! He was the dj on an entertainment yacht for 10 years. Never touched the wheel, just hung out....dj'd...got drunk....and collected sea time!! Somebody mentioned to him that he probally had enough time for a license....and boom...now he is a 100 ton captain!!
    Still looking for some more "CAPTAIN" responses.....
  6. YachtForums

It's absolutely amazing that you can get licensed w/o hands-on experience!:eek:
  7. FlaCaptJan

FlaCaptJan New Member

Passing the CG exam is the easy part, and just one step, if you don't have the skills and knowledge to pilot a vessel how can you possibly get hired. What do write down under "experience"?
    I am proud to be called "Captain". My crew has called me that from the first day I came aboard. Even though we work as a team and usually in close quarters, it still establishes a chain of command in the work arena. I have been responsible for hundreds of passengers each day, and if anyone asks to speak to the Captain, there's no question who they are referring to.
    I don't think the guy who was the d.j. would be able to help them in the same manner.
  8. REALIST

REALIST Guest

As I stated above.....I agree on using "captain" in professional situations(although I would never introduce myself as "captain"). It is just when it consumes the rest of someones life that I think it is silly. I know plenty of people who use "captain" on their answering machine, email, anything online, signature, etc.. It's fricken' comical!! One time I called a channel pilot "captain".....His response was "Call me Duffy....that was my name long before anyone tried to put capt. in front of it!" That guy earned my instant respect and then some!! That is the attitude of a LOT of captains with large licenses. Nothing to prove. Still looking to some of you "Capt." types for some good insight..............................................................
  9. GordMay

GordMay New Member

Master vs Captain

I think the proper term for one in command of the vessel is "Master", licenced or not.
    Captains are licenced, and not neccesarilly in command.
    :)
    NOT:"...Why do so many guys call themselves captain? Well for the most part it's because everyone, licensed or not, who is in command of a vessel is technically the "captain...".
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  10. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Master is the correct and legal term.
  11. Capt. Riccelli

Capt. Riccelli New Member

I've been a captain for thirty years, and it would sound funny if someone called me something else. This is how I'm known to my friends and clients.

When I got my 100 ton master's ticket I was required to have documented sea time and do still expect the same requirement is held for that classification.

The lower tonnage master's tickets are but stepping stones to a career. I've yet to meet a person whom had the ticket hanging on their wall, without the required time. Sure, plenty of fools have gotten time on the log, when they weren't there, but I've found most had a skipper the looked up to and respected, who asked of them the knowledge and time necessary to be a master not a ticket holder.

The field is vastly different then the one I got into in the 60's and maybe the expectations of those whom haven't helmed a craft in full reverse more often then forward trying to move up a tight channel full of boneheads with second mortgage yachts and not a clue how to operate them. Or those same clueless "title-phobia" not knowing the real sense of pride a crew and skipper can have after bashing through force 8 and building for a few days.

I'm **** proud to have earned the title, there's been not too many occasions where I'd had to let her find her own way as "I" and ship were overwhelmed by the conditions.

I good friend of mine just hit his mandatory retirement and is now flying a desk, not the 747's he's loved so much for so long. I and the rest of his friends have called him captain for dozens of years. He's earned it too . . .
  12. CaptainJJenkins

CaptainJJenkins New Member

Besides passing tests you need "Sea Time" I currently have 920 days at sea documented with the Coast Guard and many days that I don't have recorded that were just for pleasure. If you have earned a Masters license with the Coast Guard it shows you have a greater knowledge and skill base over a person that just buys a boat and becomes a "Captain". I have a company that delivers boats WORLD WIDE (WWW.CAPTAINSFORHIRE.COM )and we are recognized by all insuarance companies as people with a talant and knowledge that requires much training and up-dating to be called "CAPTAIN". Anyone that has been in charge of a vessel knows what can and usually does happen when all about you loose their heads. Captain John Jenkins
    WWW.CAPTAINSFORHIRE.COM
  13. wmahaffy

wmahaffy New Member

Interestng topic. Glad to see we got off the "doctor-bashing". As a surgical physician assistant (not even a doctor), I went through a heck of lot more preparation and training than I did to get my masters ticket. First you need a degree, then you need about a year of prep/review classes before getting accepted to a program, then 24-36 months of class and clinical, a 1 year residency and a fellowship (if you're going to specialize- I did cardiothoracic surgery and critical care medicine). Then a 60-70hr workweek--all for less $$ than some "captain" makes running a 120' Broward. And lets not forget the lawsuits-- just call your local shister-lawyer and complain that you didn't like the tie the doc was wearing and you too can get some $$ out of someone.

"It's always baffled me that you pay so much for a doctors opinion. I've never got any $$ back when they were wrong, or didn't fix my problem!!!"

Hopefully, the vessels who seek Radio Medical Advice from us hold a slightly higher opinion of the medical profession and our ability to help in times of crisis.
  14. Jeffn

Jeffn New Member

Precisely my response. Captain, master, Dr, all represent the responsibility that comes with the position, not unlike Lieutenant, etc....
  15. trouty

trouty New Member

As it happens

I too am a captain who had to pass his exams and have the documented sea time, (and it wasn't dj-ing either!).

Mine was in the Lobster Fishery, most of it very pleasant but not all - we had our share of days we should have stayed home - but the bait don't last 3 days - 2 at best - come day 3 you go regardless...just the nature of the game.

I choose not to use the title, and to be honest it would seem strange to be called by a title.

Anyone knows me just calls me by name. Much simpler that way.

Aboard vessel, I am the Master / Captain and demand the chain of command respect the position warrants on the occasions that safe operation of the vessel require it.

Everyone wants to be "one up" on the next guy, when it comes to the net and forum boards like this.

Heck - I probably got the smallest passenger surveyed commercial charter boat of anyone here - but I'm happy with that. It don't make me any less of a sea farer than the next guy - theres always someone out there witha bigger better faster boat or a higher qualification...

The fact that a guy does get his Qual - means he has to keep it - & that means staying current with a whole raft of quals every few years - I think the DJ's 100 tonne masters will lose it's novelty over time.

Cheers!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  16. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

As a former active duty Coast guardsmen, I am very proud to have earned my title as Captain. The Captain is some one who is looked up to and respected(and should be!)I am a federally certified instructor of 100 and 200 ton Masters, your DJ friend should not have a ticket! his time aboard was not in the capacity of a deck position. The only sea time that counts towards your initial 720 underway is that earned in the capacity of a deck position. Time gained underway in the capacity of an engineer , cook , chef, steward, stewardess, is not to be counted toward your deck time. On the USCG sea service form there is a entry for "capacity served", if deck is not entered here the time does not count towards a deck ticket. As for there being no "practicle assesment"ask any Captain and youll hear, driving the boat is the easiest part of being a Captain (yes even a single screw!). Look at it this way, the Captain in command of a new 100 ft motor yacht is in command of a 10 million dollar vessel/business, he is the sole person responsible for all activities aboard, is the first person that, #1 the USCG calls, #2 the owner calls , #3 vendors call, whenever there is a situation or problem. Many times my phone has not stopped ringing till long into the night , only to be followed by it ringing again very early in the morning. I could go on and on but I think you may now have a little better understanding. Respectfully yours, Captain Brian Koch
  17. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Bravo Sierra

This is so much Bravo Sierra. Look, there are those guys out there that use the captain title because it's a phallic thing.

I have been a professional waterman for over 30 years. Yo, captbkoch. It was Hooligan Navy when I was in. Now that's Old Guard. Ever serve on a Lightship?.

I am a successful contract/delivery captain with global experience. However, when an owner or guest and I first meet and they call me Captain, I kindly remind them that Captain was not my christened name and that they can call me John. They already know that I am the one who is going to keep their butts dry. For the "little barnacles" though, that's a different story!!!

To each his own. I've got enough seamiles under my keel to know the difference be the real thing and the facimile. Just smile and nod alot. And........

"Hand o'er yer wenches or ye be tastin' me blade!!"
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  18. Hfkeen

Hfkeen New Member

"Master"

First Post (Be Gentle)

While not the 'Capt' of one the big boats you guys command, I am the Master of our little '38, AND, I have my wife's permission to say so!

Fred
  19. YachtForums

Hi Fred,

Welcome aboard! Thank you for bringing your sense of humor along with you! This thread was about to need stabilizers installed!:rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing you online!

Carl
  20. brianwill

brianwill New Member

I would like to know if the person who started this thread is a Captain. I have no problem with someone using a professional title if it has been earned. It is not at all unusual for people with professional or military titles to use them in public (e.g., Dr. General, Captain, etc.). I believe if one has earned the rank, then the courtesy is warranted and I'm happy to acknowledge it.

Cheers to all the Captains on this forum.