Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Drug use by captains?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by DocRon, Mar 7, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DocRon

DocRon Member

I personally think it is naive to assume ALL captains are 100% drug free. Drugs have permeated into society amongs all ranks of people. I do not believe there is a single profession that can categorically state that they are 100% drug free. Unfortunately addiction is a fact of life. It happens to some of the most talented people around the world.

Because one person of a specific race, religion, ethnic background or profession does something which does not conform with our own beliefs, does that make all people of that race,religion, ethnic background or profession nonconformists or bad people. I say no.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There was an article in Dockwalk and a certain percentage of licensed Captains failed the random drug test. I don't remember the percentage, but you might be able to look it up on their website. I think it was a rather small percentage......like around 4%, but do not remember.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I was talking with a mate I know the other day who was telling me about a captain he had worked for in the pasted that no sooner had they tied up from a trip one daythat he found the captain doing lines of coke, in the galley as I recall. He had to tell him to cool it as customs was about to walk on the boat!

More than once I've heard stories about this or that captain who works hung over a lot, drinks while underway, smokes pot aboard or who an owner has put through rehab.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When I first read this I was going to offer to sell you a bridge, but then I thought back. Although I've never run into a captain doing coke the rest I have seen (but not often). Hung over though I have seen way too often. Everyone should understand that "He had to tell him to cool it as customs was about to walk on the boat!" makes that crew-member complicit putting not only his job but his freedom at risk. Working under such a captain risks his life. That's a job to quit.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I certainly hope that you are not implying that someone who has been unfortunate enough to need to undergo rehabilitation ( rehab) should be treated differently to someone who is drunk, stoned or both onboard?

Rehab is just that and for those souls that undertake it and pass out as success stories there should be no ongoing stigma about it at all.

I have a friend who went through a long and extensive rehab at his Owners expense, he is still with the Owner 5 yrs later and is a very successful big boat captain.

My hat goes off to this guy who can go into a bar and drink his non alcoholic drinks for a whole evening and have fun whilst those around him drink the normal stuff and get wasted.

He says he looks at it like this- you are allowed a certain amount of alcohol in your life, he just got to his limit at an early age.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Kudos to the boss who stands behind an employee through his troubles. Unfortunately this is where theory & reality often take different paths except in Hollywood and jobs with union protection. Like the song says "Never mention the word addiction is certain company".
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Rehab. Have had to deal with this in the past. Alcohol rehab can usually be dealt with if the sick one is up for it. Purely from a business perspective dealing with the problem rather than resorting to dismissal can be very positive. One particular employee that was well liked fell in to that well and came through the process. Initially the other guys in the crew were a little nervous about trusting him but became very protective of him. Six months later his effect on the crew was that they were all drinking less and he was looking out for them. Might not be the "humane" way to look at it but it can work out very well.
    Drug addiction is a whole other kettle of fish. Depending on the location the legal side can make this a nightmare. If there is an arrest involved, guilt by association can also come in to play. Recidivism rates are something that need to be considered as well.
  8. Capt Bill11

"That's a job to quit."

Bingo! That is just what he did.

As to rehap. Of course I wasn't trying to say or imply there is anything wrong with an owner standing up for and doing the right thing for a captain by helpping him/her get throught it. Either with financial or moral support. Or both.

But you don't go to rehab unless there is a problem. And it can take years for that problem to fully show itself. Perhaps causing a lot of mistakes to happen along the way. Not to mention the covering up of those mistakes.

And sadly the rate of long term success of most rehab programs is low from what I've read.
  9. Capt Bill11

"I certainly hope that you are not implying that someone who has been unfortunate enough to need to undergo rehabilitation ( rehab) should be treated differently to someone who is drunk, stoned or both onboard?"

Of course someone who has gone through rehab should be treated differently.

For one they aren't stoned, drunk or both anymore. Hopefully. :)

Or maybe I'm just not following you on this one.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is why I consider it more important if a person can competently do his job than what he did on his vacation 3 weeks ago. The cause is less important than the result. A guy who drinks every night is legal, but I wouldn't want to work with him. On board you must be straight, sober and mentally fit.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

After almost 35 years of watching and knowing Skippers from all over the world, they are no angels.

Yes they get drunk, smoke, snort and even shoot-up(I once found the skipper of a well known Sportfisher shooting-up between his toes in the owners cabin).

So where do you draw the line? Will the boat get in trouble? Sniffer-dogs in the galley going nuts may be a giveaway. Another skipper had the sniffer dogs go wild over a baggie of West System Microballs and the dockmob all thought 'Ah, a bag of white powder, he must use' which is complete B.S.

I've had my own demons and still fight them. At sea I never drink and am happy that way, its when you step ashore the trouble starts.

Girls and Rum.

Well at least you've got to keep a tradition going.
  12. DocRon

DocRon Member

Well if someone goes to rehab and comes out sober, clean, dry and is still treated as though he is drunk or stoned or both, whats the point?

K1W1 I am sure you made a syntax error somewhere?:rolleyes:
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What I meant that to mean was that there should be no discrimination against someone simply because they are a recovered pisshead or druggie if they have undergone a successful rehab and go their life track on track.

Fish- Knowing a couple of the Captains you have sailed with I am surprised that a toe ping is the worst thing you saw.
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

To be honest, yes, that was the most shocking. If you've met my Mom and Dad plus Aunt, P.D's Mom and Dad and all the Auntie Mafia in Antigua; drug education is nailed into you, with force.

Once I let out my Land Rover to a buddy to tow a spraying rig to another marina and didn't see it again for three days. When I found the truck it was full of Crack-pipe leftovers.

He is now happily married with two kids and a thriving business.

We all do daft things, just grow out of them.

Fish
  15. DocRon

DocRon Member

Wow Fish looks like you seen a lot in your time. Maybe you can write a novel....

The fact that your buddy is happily married now and has thriving business after what he may have got up to when he was younger, just shows that everybody does deserve a second chance. Good for him!!

We all mature with time and I guess grow wiser. I think, in certain circumstances, it is important to look at someones future potential as opposed past performance. It's amazing to see the ability of individuals to turn a situation around if they believe in themselves. And if they can get further encouragement from outside, that just makes the situation even more rewarding.
  16. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Generation Gap??

To be quite honest, I'm pretty shocked by what I've been reading here. I'm starting to wonder when all of these (Fish in particular) instanced occured.
    I ask this because the yachting business has certainly changed over the years. Yachting has become more of a business than it once was. There was a time when many yacht captains learned their trade while sailing the Caribbean on their own boats- they were more a social rogue than today's skippers and became Captains because they were in the right place at the right time. The Internet has made this more of a global business and expanded the pool of candidates. As such, things have become more professional (for better and for worse) and regulated on a whole.
    Sure, I went to college and pulled all the typical college-kid shenanigans. But now I have a lucrative career which I protect with diligence. I would never consider risking the safety of my passengers or my license.
  17. DocRon

DocRon Member

I am not surprised to tell the truth. This is a lucrative industry which attracts a lot of money. Captains and crew make a lot of money in comparison to other industries. They also get to some of the most exotic locations on earth which most people only read about. There are sometimes long periods whilst waiting for owners or charters where crew can get somewhat idle. OK I have worked on superyachts and know there is ALWAYS work to do but I know that inbetween charters you do have some time......and that when things possibly go wrong......having money in the back pocket and some time to enjoy it!!!!

Looking at the age of most of the stewardesses and deckhands now days, are they not more or less the same age as you were when you "pulled all the typical college-kid shenanigans"? Sure for a captain, who is somewhat older and more expeienced to be doing drugs is another story. To risk licenses and more importantly the safety of passengers and crew is simply stupid.

I am sure most of the people on this forum share the same moral values and ethical considerations as you, Ken, but unfortunately there is always some who just do not know when to stop.
  18. 61c40

61c40 Member

I personally have worked on research vessels with a captain that drank 1/2 a fifth of vodka every day ! When the crap hit the fan , he would always defer to what ever course of action I decided.It was stressfull at times but we have all been there. I'm sure that yacht captains are just as likely as any occupation to have substance abuse problems. Is it as bad as the NBA I don,t think so!
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sorry, but I'd have quit that boat the first time it came to near a dock.
  20. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I'm not assuming *all* captains are drug free. The statistics are what they are. It's a real life issue. I guess when I made that post I was more referring to our captain.