Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck

Vango in drydock

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by SeattleMike, Jun 28, 2009.

1. SeattleMike

SeattleMike New Member

She's been in the water for ~3 years. Any idea why she's in drydock?

Attached Files:

2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I'd assume the obvious which would be general maintainence of the underwater hull, props, rudders and other related parts. Since these cannot be cleaned while she is floating?
  3. SeattleMike

SeattleMike New Member

That would explain it, I guess. I was just curious if there was another reason rather than basic maintenance but I also don't have a clue how often that would have to be done on such a large boat.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The time between dry docking has recently been discussed elsewhere on YF.

Basically it varies depending upon where and how the boat is used, the condition of the anti fouling and any ongoing maintenance to valves and underwater gear that may be required but usually every 12 - 18 months is a safe schedule to allow for.
  5. kootenay67

kootenay67 Senior Member

She may also be doing update surveys for her classification certificate . Is it usual to have a helicopter on board during docking ???

Regards ken
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

In my experience dry dockings are usually timed to coincide with Class requirements not the other way around.

I have also been C/E on 2 Yachts with Helicopters and have been in the dry dock with the Helicopter on-board both of them.

Taking off from the dry dock can be a whole new bag of bureaucratic worms to put it mildly.
  7. Hiper

Hiper New Member

Have the satellite domes on Vango been painted or just covered?
  8. Yacht News

They were white if I remember correctly from when she was launched. Maybe they painted them now to match her windows in the superstructure and forward hull are masked in the same colour as well. The latest in that series, the "Lady Kathryn IV" has black masked windows and white domes.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Here's a shot of Vango when she was sporting white domes back in July of 2007.

Attached Files:

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The current domes actually look smaller or is it a trick of the colour?
  11. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Maybe they were swapped out to domes like Evviva has.

Attached Files:

12. johnagraham

johnagraham New Member

She was at Elliott Bay Marina recently with white domes. They subsequently were the covered with sheet plastic, I expect to paint them. She left to go to drydock so did not see them uncovered.
  13. Hiper

Hiper New Member

IMO silver satellite domes on a white superstructure don't go well together, though as YachtNews said, it might have been done to match the forward windows.
  14. TimL

TimL New Member

I think that is the wrong Westport

I believe the yacht in the photo is Evivva and not Vango. Evivva has silver domes and a silver bulkheads on the outside. Vango was all white. I also believe Vango does not support a helo pad as Evivva does. Evivva is owned by O. Edson who made Bayliner into the large company it is. He is also the largest shareholder of Westport Yachts of which that is hull number 2.
    Tim
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would have to question this having done a round the world trip on a similar sized yacht that opened its aft end up like that shown in one of Toms earlier posts taken in 2007 ( Post No 9)to launch and recover the kerosene budgie.
  16. Yacht News

17. TimL

TimL New Member

I stand corrected

Pictures don't lie. I would venture to say that Vango was modified after commissioning to accept the helo. I saw Vango after it initial launch and it sure did not appear to have the articulated suntop and, if I remember correctly, had a tender and jet ski up top in addition to the aft garage.

I'm pretty sure the picture in the original thread is Evivva as I have seen it up close several times at the shipyard.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Tim
  18. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

The boat in the first photo and the one posted by YachtNews both have the same chopper.
  19. Yacht News

If I remember correctly, "Evivva's" heli is blue or has a blue graphic..so you can easily spot the difference in tellin which yacht is which, of course if the heli is not in its custom protective weather cover.
  20. brunick

brunick Senior Member

for the hilcopter part, i guess it's the same as on some other boats, the helo gets pushed back a couple foot and the he can start. same by landing.