Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

Wheeler is Back!

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by alloyed2sea, Apr 7, 2005.

1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Wheelers Back After 40-Year Hiatus
    Boating Industry today ran an article announcing that Wheeler Yacht Co. (http://www.wheeleryachts.com/passion.html)has signed an agreement with Bennett Brothers Yachts to build its first hull - to be designed by Tom Fexas -- since 1965, when the original Wheeler shipyard disbanded.
    http://powerboat.about.com/gi/dynam...www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=955855
    For obvious reasons you don't currently see a lot of Wheelers around but, back in the day, the company built some fine cruisers and sportfishing boats (Ernest Hemingway's 1934 Wheeler Playmate 34' - "Pilar", see below, is perhaps the best-known example), as well as supplying boats to branches of the U.S. Military. Before the company dissolved in 1965, it had built over 3,500 hulls in a 50-year time span.
    Now they're back with none other than Wes Wheeler, himself, as president of the newly re-formed company.
    Here's some shots of a 1937 Wheeler until then:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Nice to see that they are preserving the classic lines on the new yacht as well. They couldn´t have found a better designer than Mr Midnight Lace for this!

I looked into the interior plan which was also nice, well thought out with an open galley aft as well as a day head..., seems like there is someone with yachting experience behind the new Wheelers... :) I can only wish them good luck!
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thank you Eric!! :)
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Like Father, like son.

His dad had a Wheeler when they were growing up. :p
  5. ISMYachts

ISMYachts New Member

New Wheeler 55

Launch of the new "Wheeler 55" scale model.

Attached Files:

6. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Retro Deluxe

Looking very good.
    A useful tonic to the ultra-modern, martian-styling found on some boats today.
  7. scandé

scandé Guest

Vaisseau wheeler 1937 Ebb Tide

Bonjour,

j'ai lu attentivement l'article qui a été ecris sur le vaisseau Wheeler de 1937 !...
    Je suis le propriétaire de ce vaisseau que j'ai acheter à San Diégo et que j'ai importer en Europe !...
    j'ai fais beaucoup de ravaux sur ce bateau et il est à la marina de Empuriabrava en Espagne !...
    je tiens à disposition de toute personne qui le souhaityerai des photos ou des articles !...
  8. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Wheelerworld

Mon dieu, il faut que je va voir cette bateau le prochain fois que j'arrive en France. :p
    A bientot!
    -Eric
  9. scandé

scandé Guest

bonjour,
    Ebb Tide était à San Diégo quand je l'ai acheter et je l'ai fait embarquer à Long Beach !...
    Il est venu par transporteur jusqu'à GENE en Italie...
    en suite je suis venu à Marseille et j'ai travaillé pendant deux ans à restaurer et faire les travaux !..
    Ebb Tide est depuis deux ans en espagne !...
  10. scandé

scandé Guest

article presse magzine

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      144.6 KB
      Views:
  11. scandé

scandé Guest

article presse magzine
  12. scandé

scandé Guest

Ebb Tide
  13. scandé

scandé Guest

article...suite

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      143.4 KB
      Views:
  14. kidsdream

kidsdream New Member

For Wheeler fans - Simply the best

New to the this forum, but I thought some might be interested in this Wheeler; a 1953 42' Wheeler Promenade Yacht.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All painted surfaces are Awlgrip and anything that was varnished when she was launched are currently protected by Zspar Captains Varnish.

Winner of Class and Peoples Choice awards (including the 2008 Most Distinguished boat at the ACBS Algonac Harbor show - original Chris Craft factory) at boats shows for the last 15 years.
  15. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

Designed by Tom Fexas?

I'm new here and clearly have a lot to learn, but I thought that Tom Fexas had prematurely passed away; am I wrong? For his sake, I hope so! What gives?
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to YF.

I am pretty sure Tom Fexas (1941 to 2006) was still functioning when the original post in this thread was made on 04-07-2005, at 04:55 PM
  17. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

Tom Fexas

See there? I told you I had a lot to learn! Like, for instance, how and when to actually read what's in a post! Groan! Shudder........

Poor Tom is/was only one year older than I am (....cringe.....). Very sobering, and I don't even drink! Although if my peers and contemporaries don't stop dropping like flies, I may start!

So, since that article is already five (5) years old, give or take, does anyone have any info re when Wheeler production will actually start? Maybe I can google it, I dunno......

Sail safe, and thanks for the response.
  18. Garrbo

Garrbo Member

Wow, RIP Tom Fexas, very sorry to learn this, I just recently came across a early 60's 36' Wheeler SF and looking to restore her and came across the Wheeler is back only a little to late. The industry truly lost an Icon, and the public, the Wheelers rebirth