Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Elco Yachts

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by alloyed2sea, Dec 17, 2004.

1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

1930-50' Elco

Lady Elin has recently been sold and is now undergoing an extensive refit. Soon to be relaunched as "Duchess" She is located in Oxford, MD.

Attached Files:

3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hello SeaEric,
    Boy, you're dragging up all the old posts. Glad to see someone taking the time and doing research. That helm station is cool. Looks like a steering wheel from an old bus.
    Jordan miller likes this.
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Really?

ELCO also made sailboats in 1937? :confused:

Attached Files:

5. cfarrah

cfarrah New Member

An Elco in Destin FL

All,

Just found this website and thought I'd post a recent (labor day) pic of Merc in FL. More can be seen at www.yachtmercury.com

Attached Files:

6. acellist

acellist Member

Elco in 1978

Dear SeaEric,

I visited your web page and was pulled into viewing your 50' 1929 Elco.
    I am attaching two photos, one was taken in 1978 in Portsmouth across from Norfolk, VA with what seems like another Elco docked at that marina.
    The other photo was taken this past summer on the St Clair river and perhaps, if you have the time, you could identify the maker.
    Thanks very much!

Sincerely,
    acellist

Attached Files:

• ?.jpg
      ?.jpg
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The first photo is a lovely old Matthews sedan, with the somewhat rare extended hardtop. She looks to be in exquisite condition. The bottom photo is of a 1920's to early 1930's vintage that is most likely a New York Yacht and Launch. She could also be a Defoe, or a Chance, or any number of other builders of that era. She almost looks like the former McMillan yacht "Belle" which is a NYYL. If I find a photo of Belle I will post it.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Here's Belle. Striking similarities! Could be the same boat.

Attached Files:

9. acellist

acellist Member

Dear SeaEric,
    Thank you very much for that information.
    acellist
  10. DJPaintThat

DJPaintThat New Member

there is a old elco in a yard in ft lauderdale, onwer of the boat told me it belonged to jfk and some others i dont know if hes telling the truth. but his boat is rotting away in the yard he had a couple of hacks work on that boat and they just destroyed it.
  11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Upon further reflection, I believe the boat in the second photo to be another NYYL 68' 1931 formerly named "RoRoLa" now in sad shape (and for sale) in NC named "Margie McCoy". Someone needs to save this old gal. In the current photos it looks like perhaps she has seen some submarine service.

Attached Files:

12. john c

john c New Member

Zephyr III

Attached are a few shots of our 1929 50' Flattop Zephyr III shortly after relaunch in Toronto at the end of July of 2007. I've been plugging away at bringing her back for the past ten plus years while enjoying her at the same time...not an easy trick in our Canadian outdoors. Signy and I finally had an opportunity to spend three great weeks cruising on board last August, taking in the Clayton Antique Boat Show and the Rideau canal all the way to Manotick near Ottawa. Haul out awaits her this weekend at Belleville on the Bay of Quinte where she'll spend the winter awaiting a planned expedition up the Trent/Severn to Georgian Bay next spring.

Attached Files:

Uncle Jeffie likes this.
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello John, Welcome to YachtForums. Zephyr III is looking pretty spiffy in those nice photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Here is an aft detail photo of "Witch" a 1929 Elco 50. She was restored in 2004 and won at Mystic that same year. Owners are aboard her heading South. She is currently for sale at only a fraction of her restoration cost. PM me for details.

Attached Files:

14. riptidecrew1939

riptidecrew1939 New Member

1939 53' Elco Motor Yacht

Here's my Elco. she was first owned by Howard Johnson, then by Las Vegas "developer" Mo Dalitz and then used on the TV show Riptide. My pride and joy!

Attached Files:

Uncle Jeffie likes this.
  15. gerrym

gerrym New Member

Eric/All,

My wife's family here in Norfolk used to own the RoRoLa, it was sold as part of the assets of their family business here in 1998 or so. Just trying to retrace some history. My brother-in-law had traced the RoRoLa to Ocracroke Island several years ago, where he found the owner at that time. We've since heard that owner passed away, and we are just trying to see if this wonderful lady is still around. Margie McCoy is listed as for sale in NC, not sure this is the same boat, it would be a shame to see her in such sad shape after 12 years.

http://www.jarrettbayyachtsales.com/inventory/details/1812/

Thanks for any help!

Gerry-
  16. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Vessel Name: MARGIE MCCOY USCG Doc. No.: 230639
    Vessel Service: PASSENGER (INSPECTED) IMO Number: *
    Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WD7610
    Hull Material: WOOD Hull Number: *
    Ship Builder: NEW YORK YACHT LAUNCH Year Built: 1931

Hailing Port: OCRACOKE NC Owner:
    Length (ft.): 63.7 Hull Depth (ft.): 6.7
    Hull Breadth (ft.): 14
    Gross Tonnage: 46 Net Tonnage: 31
    Documentation Issuance Date: July 21, 2004 Documentation Expiration Date: August 31, 2005
    Previous Vessel Names: GATSBY, ROROLA
    Previous Vessel Owners: GEORGE BLACKBURN WARNER JR., LISA D CARICOFE
  17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I see that the current photos show her to be hauled and blocked on land. This is good, and bad I guess. At least she can't sink (again) there. It sure would be nice to see someone save her.

I remember her from years ago when she was stored at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge, and still in decent condition.
  18. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

How do Elcos compare to Trumpys as far as rolling is concerned? I would assume they are very tender. They also seem more delicate
  19. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi Maldwin, The Elco boats, like the older Trumpy builds have a soft chine. They roll quite well. Some of the later Trumpy's have a more of a hard chine at the stern and may tend to roll a bit less. Of course, any boat in a beam sea is going to roll.

Did you notice that the bottom design of your Huckins boats rolled less? I would think that they would tend to be more stable.
  20. gerrym

gerrym New Member

Seafarer,

Thank you SO much for researching this. My gut feeling was there was little doubt. I have since exchanged a few emails with the good folks at Jarrett Bay Yachts.

The RoRoLa was so named in tribute to the 3 principals in the family shipyard business. Roper Roper Lawrence. The boat was expertly maintained for many years, and it is difficult to see the apparent decline.

It appears she must have sunk at the pier or taken on a lot of sea water at some time. She was kept in near perfect condition at the shipyard over many years. Ownership passed with the business on its sale in 1998. RoRoLa and Sequoia were both kept during different points at Atlantic Yacht in Great Bridge prior to the sale of the shipyard.