Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

1989 45' Viking Rub Rail

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Elisa'sRingII, Dec 27, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Elisa'sRingII

Elisa'sRingII New Member

I am re-caulking the rub rail this winter and I noticed the paint on rail is in bad shape. Anybody know what type of paint to use on it?
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

SEMCO has a good line of very durable products for painting high wear type areas.
  3. Elisa'sRingII

Elisa'sRingII New Member

Thanks, I will call a few places to day for suggestions as well. It's not my first choice to have it painted but since it has been done I will try and make it look the best i can.
  4. Boatcapts

Boatcapts Guest

Viking Rub Rail

Try calling Viking Yacht Center in New Gretna, NJ. It's the boatyard next to the factory. Was called Bass River Marina 'till Viking Yacht purchased it a few years ago. They should be able to help

Viking Yaching Center (609)296-2388
  5. Bob B

Bob B New Member

Rub Rail Paint

I would love to know what they suggested, I have to do the same project this spring
  6. Elisa'sRingII

Elisa'sRingII New Member

I called Jamestown Distributors and they said any topside paint would work , but as suspected with any paint job they said sanding would make or break it. The top side of a rub rail is hard to sand without scratching other surfaces so they also suggested a primer first to fill in some of the craking etc...
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I looked into sanding and re-awlgripping the aluminum rubrails on my 54 Bertram .. just to do the cockpit area with an expected life of 3 years was going to be $4500.00 ... I'm now looking into a PVC product with stainless cap designed to solve the problem for good. I'll start with the cockpit area and do the rest in a year or two.

Attached Files: