Click for McKinna
Click for DeAngelo
Click for Delta
Click for Nordlund
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Christensen
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Tenders & Dinghies > Jet Tender Recommendations?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Jet Tender Recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Jet Tender Recommendations?

What is the latest in Jet Tenders? I will be looking to get a 4m (+or-) this summer. I had heard that there were some reliability issues with most of the generation 1 models. Any recommendations for and against?
goplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

My 2c worth- Don't buy one.

Jet Boats have their uses and Tenders for a yacht are not really one of them.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why is that? Is it price? Is it performance? Is it maintenance? Is it space taken up by the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

My 2c worth- Don't buy one.

Jet Boats have their uses and Tenders for a yacht are not really one of them.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I worked on a boat once that had both a jet tender and a RIB novorina. We always ended up using the RIB for the guess as it just seemed so much more functional. It sat more poeple and they were more comfortable in the RIB. The jet tender was nice but just some how never seemed to be needed. Then the maintance did seem to be needed more as well. I remeber the housing around the impellar swelled up with corrision and jammed the impellar..
C4ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have been using Jet tenders the last 5 years, the only issue I could mentioned here is that the old two stroke models were smelly and were leaving oil spills in the surface. On our new yacht we have chosen a Williams 4 stroke 104 HP(wember engine) 3.85m. It is a fact that alike jet skis the engine should be washed down with fresh water at least a week ( The crew of our yacht is doing it after each use).

Apart of the above, in my opinion they are much safer to operate especially in crowded beaches and offer a lot of fun
comship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Castoldi seem to be a popular make at least in the larger ranges - can't say I was overly impressed with the engineering but they do drive well. Ribtech in the uk also make jet tenders using a small Vosper jet unit. They were pretty good as long as you didn't go all electric - having the toggle switch for the bucket control break off in neutral while you're in Nassau shipping channel is not amusing.
JAG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

There are more models appearing every year. I like the safety side of no prop but you do need to flush them daily. I owed a Ribtec Camel 6.5M for 6 years and loved the boat, it wasn't a jet but it rode like an old Cadillac, nice and gentle.
Check out www.ribeye.co.uk and http://www.espritnautics.com/ for Nouveranias
Neil Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG1
Castoldi seem to be a popular make at least in the larger ranges - can't say I was overly impressed with the engineering but they do drive well. Ribtech in the uk also make jet tenders using a small Vosper jet unit. They were pretty good as long as you didn't go all electric - having the toggle switch for the bucket control break off in neutral while you're in Nassau shipping channel is not amusing.
the main disadvantage of the castoldi is their weight, I was looking to install the smaller model of their range but its dry weight was 900 kg
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can a 4m jet tender, say like the Williams 385, pull a wake boarder with a driver and spotter in the boat?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay
Can a 4m jet tender, say like the Williams 385, pull a wake boarder with a driver and spotter in the boat?
Our old tender an AVON DL (Yamaha 85 HP) was pulling a wake boarder but on board was only the driver
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Here its pulling a water skier:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0QY8sV6VOJI
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I have a Williams 385 Jet Rib and pulling a wake boarder has been done often.
TK-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Why is that? Is it price? Is it performance? Is it maintenance? Is it space taken up by the motor?
They're junk. I have experience with a few of them. The worst was a 14' Nautica RIB jet. It smoked like crazy, was so loud at hull speed you needed ear muffs, and problematic. The 4 stroke outboards have come so far that the jets don't even come close.

The jets use a lot more fuel. Need a lot more maintanence. They are a lot louder inside of the boat because the motor is generally mounted under the console. They don't have the performance of an outboard. You really cannot go in any shallower water then a 4 stroke one. If they have a waverunner motor they vibrate and smoke. Steerage at slow speeds with them is horrible. The best thing about the jet's is if you have to jump overboard fully dressed to clear a plastic bag out of the intake with guests on board. IMO they have no advantages.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote