Click for MCC
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Nordlund
Click for Moonen
Click for Llebroc
Click for Delta
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Tenders & Dinghies > What is the fastest speedboat you can buy?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Closed Thread

What is the fastest speedboat you can buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #46 (permalink)

I have NEVER heard of a speed limit on any open ocean.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #47 (permalink)

Hi Yachtman,

I hope you're not offended with me playing Sherlock

Speed comes at a cost, especially speeds over 50 knots. It takes a lot of money, it takes a lot of space, it's noisy and smelly. The ride is uncomfortable and the boats have a stiff roll. The interior has to be lightweight and minimalistic.
In my opinion, boating should never be about going from A to B in the shortest time, except in some very specific cases (a commuter that can shortcut a daily 2 hour traffic jam for example).

I'd strongly recommend you charter a couple of boats before making a purchase you might regret later on. If the price is a turn-off to you, figure that chartering will almost always be cheaper than owning a boat, unless you have lots of time to spend on your boat.

PS. Even in the mega-yacht world, it's not uncommon for owners to replace their gas turbines with a more conventional (read slower) propulsion.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #48 (permalink)

Hi,

Close inshore and in restricted waters there are various limits on speed wake etc that vary throughout the Med and any costal regions in the world.

Safe speed just as that which is given as the answer in many automobile licence questions should always be considered.

The real answer to the maximum speed must be left to mother nature. Sir Donald Campbell was killed in a World Water Speed Record attempt by a ripple on the surface of a lake. ( Coniston Water in the UK) It is very unlikely you will encounter the same smooth lake like conditions anytime in the Med owing to natural ground swell, currents especially closer to Gib, passing vessel wakes, wind driven surface deflections etc and the list goes on.

If you and your passengers are suited, booted and strapped into place then you can open it up wide and go for the top speed of the boat you purchase if you truely seek 150 to 200 mph on the water. A simple wave could upset you plans the boat could become airborne and overturn mid air killing you and your passengers instantly.

I used to work for the late Mr Bernie Little the Owner of the Miss Budweiser Racing Team that campaigned in the later years in Un Limited Hydroplane boats. These were absolute thoroughbreds with everything set to run at full speed in absolute pristine condiions and yet these still crashed and killed the drivers with alarming regularity.

Bear this in mind when making your decision
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTdave
TheYachtman,

I have been involved with and raced offshore powerboats for many years. You are asking for a lot but it is very possible. A custom build is what you need & you need to speak to Mike Fiore at Outerlimits Powerboats. I raced an Outerlimits in Superboat International and APBA & I can tell you from experience that they are simply the best performance hull out there. They have several V hull designs in the 40-51' range & they just came out with a 50' cat which blew people away at the Miami Boat Show. Their detail is second to none. They are pricey though. I heard the second cat is being finished & that it was over 1 million (but still in your budget). Mike would learn exactly what you need in a boat & design one while keeping in mind average sea conditions where you plan on boating. It would hands down be the best boat for what you want.

Check out http://www.outerlimitspowerboats.com

I'll attach a couple of the new cat pictures & one of triple X but you will see everything on their web site. Let me know if I can help.

Dave
I have heard that Goldigger is lagging badly in the speed equation. Only 150mph with 3400hp, not the result OL was hoping for. Have you any recent speed figures? I heard it was going to Lake X for dialin.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
I would firstly consider looking at a 45' Nortech with Triple Diesel config.
You would get consistant speeds above 70mph along with a cruise range of over 450 miles.

Second choice would be to look at Fountain with a double or triple setup, again good speed and endurance pack.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned Pier57 boats, http://www.pier57.com.

They have a vast range and sure that Mat Smith would help you find the right adrenalin machine.

They ship worldwide, so to Spain not a problem.
Nortech builds only a 43 in V bottoms and cats. The V bottom, which you are probably referring to, is not built for triple diesels as there is not enough length in the engine room for a third 6 cylinder motor. The reason I know this is I have a friend who recently purchased a diesel-powered 43 and Nortech advised him they could not move the bulkhead forward to acommodate three motors.

There is some development going on with the 6.6L Duramax V8 diesel which would fit three in the 43. Now the 50' V can fit four motors either 6 cylinder diesels or gasoline V8s. So can the 50' cat.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

here's a few others. I believe the Hallett 54 is around the +500K range, the Formulas 38' Fastech is in the 200-300K range and a very well made boat. Made many trips to Catalina Island (off California Coast) in 4'-6' surf around 50-60 mph and very smooth. I will say that 500+ miles in a boat smaller than a yacht would be quite a workout to your insides. But that's my .02 cents worth and that's not even worth .02 cents!

http://www.hallettboats.com/540-t.html

http://www.formulaboats.com/fastech/1099143.aspx

https://www.cigaretteracing.com/index.cfm?

and for the ski boat,

http://www.malibuboats.com/

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Front
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #52 (permalink)

As to the question what is the fastest powerboat in the world, it is Ken Warby's 5000hp turbine 28' hydro which set the water speed record of 317.6mph at Blowering Dam Australia in 1978.

For an offshore boat it would be the 50' Callan Mystique with 2X3000hp Lycoming T55 turbines for an estimated speed of 230mph. This boat ran 208mph at the Lake Of The Ozarks One Mile Shootout in Missouri USA last year.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #53 (permalink)

Catmando,

My mistake the Nortech I was refering to, is a 50ft with Triple 330hp Yanmar Diesels.
Attached Images
Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
Catmando,

My mistake the Nortech I was refering to, is a 50ft with Triple 330hp Yanmar Diesels.
I like the paint, whose boat is that and where was the pic taken? Talon if I remember correctly, Yanmar's 300hp+ motors come in 300, 315, 370, 440 and 485hp models. I remember Nor-tech building a triple 315 5000V boat but it barely broke 60mph. I think the quad 485s would bring the speed up close to 90, a much better result IMO.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #55 (permalink)

The 50' with Triple 330's would cruise at 60 all day.
I was looking at importing 1 into the UK for use as a offshore cruiser.
Good economy, speed and comfortable.
Whereas the 50 NOR-TECH VEE with Triple Nortech / 850 SCEFI's would happily cruise at 75mph with a top end of 100mph.

I cannot remember where that other photo was from, but that had thr 3-330's.

Check out http://www.fastboats.com/?page=boatdetail&boatid=540
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #56 (permalink)

The picture is of 'Cast Off' and is for sale.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #57 (permalink)

It's ORANGE lol. As I have said elsewhere on this site, Nor-tech doesn't build the fastest boats, but they are strong, solid and very good-looking. Having said that, I do believe they offer vacuum-bagging and Kevlar/Carbon Fiber construction now.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #58 (permalink)

Orange
Who WOULDN'T see you coming in that

Nor-Tech may not be the fastest, but are comfortable.
If you want fast then can also try a nice Velocity, with Turbines.
Attached Images
Old 06-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #59 (permalink)

I don't recall hearing about a turbine-powered Velocity. Is this one? Is it a recent build? I met Steve Stepp, his wife and daughter at the 2003 Miami boat show.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #60 (permalink)

Who would be the first??

I'm sure that Turbine Marine would oblige in prep and installing a pair of 1850hp Extreme Edition Turbines.
Closed Thread