Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Perko

Name/ Reg #'s on RIB

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Mydas touch, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Mydas touch

Mydas touch New Member

Hey I know there are a few ways to 'Skin this Cat'...

We have a new 10.5' RIB that needs her name, 'Chelonia' and State Reg. #'s affixed. The previous boat had stick on lettering that got beat up from deflating the tubes.

I was thinking about stencil and spray paint, but if done wrong, would look... um, BAD! :eek:

Number plates look good to me, but not sure about the name, on plates as well?

This is for a client, so it needs to work!

Any thoughts?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Stick on lettering seems the best route. Yeah it will only last a few years, but can be redone rather cheaply.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve used stick on numbers with good result... Nt the cheap black block numerals but the colorful one with black border from WM

For name, I ve used vinyl letters in from boatus graphic, sticks fine.

But we never deflate or roll it up, so not sure how it would fare if you have to deflate it often
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First you need to know what materials your RIB is made of. Each type requires different glues. For Hypalon for instance you can purchase the service at West Marine. It costs about $35. You send the info to the company and they send you the numbers, etc. laid out with the correct glue.
    Read this:
    How to identify inflatable boat tube fabrics
  5. Mydas touch

Mydas touch New Member

Thanks for the link Capt.
    The owner is always looking to save a $, and this is an example of where it will likely cost them in the long run...

It's a West Marine , hard bottom, that replaces a 2002 West Marine. In the 10 year period, the same model has been made as cheaply as possible. With the 2002, the floor integrated with the stern solidly with upright gussets, the new model, not the case. More Plastic, less aluminum.

Oh yeah, material, it's PVC. With a big ol' MADE IN CHINA tag. :(

Stick on letters it is boys... Guess there's no reason to try an put lipstick on this mule!! :rolleyes:
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Years ago I had bought a small roll up at west made by zodiac... Forgot where it was made but it lasted exactly warranty plus 6 months. Then the floor started separating at th transom corners before coming apart altogether...