Click for Lurssen
Click for Oceanco
Click for Dockwise
Click for McConaghy
Click for Westport
Click for DeAngelo
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Tenders & Dinghies > 21' Flats Boat Across The Atlantic

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Reply

21' Flats Boat Across The Atlantic

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FISHTIGUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Guernsey/Antigua
Posts: 2,178
21' Flats Boat Across The Atlantic

These 2 brothers have just made it to London in a 21ft Flats boat from Florida. That takes some very big cojones.

http://www.crosstheatlantic.com/boat.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LtCK7cSPE
FISHTIGUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,413
Hi,

That sure is an adventure, I was surprised by their choice of a Suzuki to push it all the way it is not an engine brand that I associate with reliability from the old days.

I guess they have done a lot better with the Four Stroke line of engines than their two strokers.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FISHTIGUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Guernsey/Antigua
Posts: 2,178
Yer, the old 2-Smokes were a bit of a joke but the new 4-Strokes seem to be getting very popular. The RIB guys seem to like them a lot.
FISHTIGUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,413
Hi,

It seems these guys were not alone in crossing the sea in a strange craft, check this one out.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2838...ss-Cook-Strait
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NYCAP123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,928
Great advertising. The words that come to mind though are reckless, foolish and downright stupid. What were their plans for a rollover?
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Great advertising. The words that come to mind though are reckless, foolish and downright stupid. What were their plans for a rollover?
Hi,

Don'y worry NYCAP, they had an escape plan according to their website:

I am very comfortable with the seaworthiness of the DreamBoat Intruder. I know there is real danger, just like there is in everyday life, I know that in the event of disaster, I trust my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I know my soul will rest in Heaven.
It is not how good I am, but rather the
Goodness and Forgiveness of God.
Ralph Brown
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,911
Not trying to mimimize their feat, but I question records like this one.
Looking at the course map, did they really cross the Atlantic, or just go from land mass to land mass and end up on the other side? To me, crossing the Atlantic is CROSSING THE ATLANTIC!
Leave Florida to get to England or Spain or Germany should be going in a straight line or follow the curve but not hopping it along. I knew a guy who would fly to Europe, crossing the Atlantic. But he did it by flying to Maine for fuel, to Greenland, then down to the UK.
I guess they did cross the Atlantic, but for the record I feel that a particular route needs to be followed, and one that goes across, not around.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom
..... crossing the Atlantic is CROSSING THE ATLANTIC!
Hi,

Would that be Rhumb Line or Great Circle routing?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom
Leave Florida to get to England or Spain or Germany should be going in a straight line or follow the curve but not hopping it along.
You seem to have over looked the fact that Florida does not stretch the entire length of the western side of the Atlantic, leaving from Savannah or somewhere in the Caribbean which is in the Atlantic for most calculations especially the Hurricane Season would be just as much a feat if it were done in one shot.

Also on the other side of the "pond" there is France, Ireland, Scotland.Portugal and Holland plus a few other smaller places north of Scotland that can all be reached in one shot from the Atlantic.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NYCAP123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

Don'y worry NYCAP, they had an escape plan according to their website:

I am very comfortable with the seaworthiness of the DreamBoat Intruder. I know there is real danger, just like there is in everyday life, I know that in the event of disaster, I trust my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I know my soul will rest in Heaven.
It is not how good I am, but rather the
Goodness and Forgiveness of God.
Ralph Brown
They had an escape plan. They went from point to point to point. So it was not solo; not the smallest; not the fastest; not non-stop. What exactly was to point of this other than an uncomfortable advertising stunt? And I'm not in the least impressed by his preaching. Watched too many of those hollier-than-thou jerks go to jail as child molesters, thieves and worse. YF is not the place for religion.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
They had an escape plan. They went from point to point to point. So it was not solo; not the smallest; not the fastest; not non-stop. What exactly was to point of this other than an uncomfortable advertising stunt? And I'm not in the least impressed by his preaching. Watched too many of those hollier-than-thou jerks go to jail as child molesters, thieves and worse. YF is not the place for religion.
I agree, but still think it is an amazing feat to do in a 21' Flats Boat. I don't think there is ANY way you could do a true transatlantic crossing in that boat due to logistics. Maybe if you towed another 21 flats boat full of fuel, and then dumped it when it was empty.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NYCAP123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,928
Didn't Tohatsu or someone do a stunt like this about 20 years ago as a promo for a diesel outboard? Sure it's a feat, but it hardly accomplished anything note-worthy. I think it even missed as a marketing stunt. If I were in the market for a flats boat I'd be more interested in hearing how fast it is, how stable it is, how shallow is its draft, bait storage, fish boxes, etc. Somehow I don't think their target audiance is planing to run that boat in the ocean.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KCook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,231
I was wondering about the amount of fuel needed as well ....
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Didn't Tohatsu or someone do a stunt like this about 20 years ago as a promo for a diesel outboard?
Not sure about a diesel crossing but there was a Japanese guy who lived in Sweden who did it non stop from Canaries to Antigua with a 2.5 hp Tohatsu. I saw it in Antigua.

Here is what I think Fishtigua was talking about a while ago.

http://www.tohatsu.com/news/seiko.html
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Not sure about a diesel crossing but there was a Japanese guy who lived in Sweden who did it non stop from Canaries to Antigua with a 2hp Tohatsu. I saw it in Antigua.

Fishtigua recently said he had found a link to it so hopefully he will see this question and add some further info.
a 2HP? He must have brought a lot of books to read along the way.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NYCAP123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
a 2HP? He must have brought a lot of books to read along the way.
"He did not bring any reading materials with him so that he could keep his mind focused on the trip."
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are EST. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Click for Horizon
Click for Elling
Click for MotorCheck
Click for Ferretti
Click for Burger
Click for Lurssen


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2