Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Anchoring advice

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Dave Stranks, Sep 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

An 90 " motor yacht that has a lot of windage to the unit with a single centre mounted windless and roller (all chain at a 1 to 3 ratio)Problem is the boat whips around at achor
    in 10>30 knot winds range light winds no problem, heavy there is enought force to stay on the straight I have tryed a bridal only to pull the 1/2 snap on chain ito a straight piece of stainless
    I'm i on the right track with the bridal just have to beef it up or are there other tricks i should try first
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"(all chain at a 1 to 3 ratio)"

what do you mean by that? you can't possibly mean that you are only using 1:3 scope, do you? i've heard that most use less rode in the PNW due to the depth but 1:3 is really no enough, i can't imagine that holding in even 20kts...

not sure what you mean by the "boat whips around" either.... all boats swing, some a little more than others. Using a bridle relieves tension on the windlass and gives you some stretch when using all chain, not sure it woudl really affect the swing
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Use a chain hook which will be much stronger and easier to attach.

You should probably increase your scope too. The extra weight will help reduce the swing.
  4. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Achour swing Fixed

Yes 1 to 3 is a little light but this is a min. Last weekend in 30 feet we had 120 feet out but swinging any more than a 200 foot circle in the bay would have upset a lot of sailboaters who have no idea what kind of space you need The PNW has alot of limitations
    Ken I think your idea on the beefing up the bridle might be the way
    Thanks
  5. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Does any one know...

Exactly what is the right way to secure the end of the chain to the vessel in the chain locker?

Should it only be attached with a line (rope) that can be cut in an emerency situation where you may not have time to pull the anchor?

Is there break away shackles on the market for securing the end of anchor chain?

Would ABS or MCA have some rules of do's and don't in attaching your anchor chain to the vessel?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i like to have the chain attached to the fitting in the locker with some line so it can be cut, and i like the piece of line to be long enough to reach the deck. This way, you can cut if from the deck (after tying a fender to the chain) and the line will let the windlass free wheel instead of tring to rip the fitting off the locker!
  7. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Achours away

If you were hooked in a bay were you could not get the "pick" up wouldn't you wait for better weather to play around bring it up
    It sucks, sucking the thing up in the rough in the dark, this is where I worry about a bridle it probably would not go down the windless well
    Having a rope sounds like a sail boat thing i do not agree with this with any boat over 50 feet
    Our chain is mounted direct at end to the windless main plate 6 x 6
    If that goes you have a big problem and it will take ten feet of the front off
    We carry 500 feet of chain and the boat is 139 ton dry
    If I had to
    I have two grinders and many hacksaws that i could cut the chain with
    If you cann't get the thing up with the windless and bumping the boat why waste a bumper cut it free, buy a new anchour in 29 years, i have never had to go to this extreme but i still aways carry a spare anchour about 100 lb

I think our boat waters are a little different from viewing your comments
    We have it pretty rough up here with whirl pools, tides, currents, winds and the lovely logs and lots of rocks
    I welcome your comments from your cruising areas I'm sure there are things specific to your area that would blow my mind
    I love to learn, we all have experances that make us all stronger
    Please keep it coming
    Thanks All
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

3 to 1 scope is appropriate if you are using all chain, but more scope doesn't hurt.
    I've found that using a hook that fits between the links of chain, tied to a rope (60') to attach to the chain and putting it on the chain after you've let out appropriate scope, tie the rope to a side cleat (foward spring line cleat) and let the chain out until it comes tight on the rope. The rope holds the boat at a slight angle and the wind has less effect on it and the current holds it straight better. Then let out another 20 or 30' feet of chainThis takes a lot of swing out. It also keeps the chain from making noise in the boat as it moves around.

I too like some rope on the end of the chain so that I've known I've gotten to the end of the chain and having that fasten to the boat, it is also easier to cut it away in an emergency.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You don't have to tear the front off your boat or send someone with a hacksaw/grinder to release the chain in an emergency if the thing is setup and secured properly in the first place.

There are many who prefer line and it works well for the most part but there are also good safe and very strong man safe release mechanisms to allow a chain under extreme tension to be released without harm to man or boat.

Think back to how you got your seatime and training to become a Captain- How did the Captains you worked under handle this type of situation?

What do other Captains on boats around you do?
  10. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Someday you may have to slip your rode, and whether in an emergency situation or not, it would be easier to do so if the last link is secured to a strong point in the anchor locker with rope, as others have pointed out.
    As far as being a "sailboat thing" goes, I am sure there are sailboats out there that see higher forces and loads than you will ever see on your 90 footer.
    That being said, there is some good advice here. As Capt J suggested, using a long piece of rope with a chain hook on it to put the bow of the boat at a slight angle to the wind will help. Paying out some more scope will help with more weight. A couple of years ago we replaced the cahin rode on the boat I run with a larger size chain, and this increase in chain size made a HUGE difference in how well I was able to get a bite. I imagine the increase in chain size and it's attendant weight increse could help with the problem you seem to be having with sailing around whilst at anchor?
  11. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

K1
    You would be shocked at how many yacht Captains I see in this industry that don't do there home work to know the simple things.... most unfortunately would rather lie and then make up something as to what they think is true..
    (I am mostly talking about the yacht captains that are to proud to come to web sites like this to learn, so if you are a yacht captain reading this, you are more than likely not the the type mentioned above)