Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Caterpillar 3412

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Midzic, Sep 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Midzic

Midzic New Member

I want to buy a Caterpillar 3412 with following specifications: Model SR4, Serie number 5NA07910, Arrangement number 5N5078, but there is a problem.
    If you increase the load the engine starts to overhead and by 97°C he stops.De radiator, water pump and fanbelts are OK. The thermostats are Altherm USA +248-5531. I checked already everything but the overheating still persist. Who can help me?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is this in a boat, a truck or skid mounted?

When you say you increase the load by how much do you mean?

Do you feel a temperature difference over the top and bottom of the radiator?

You could try running the engine with the thermostats removed for a test run and see what happens, Have you tested that they actually open at the correct temperature?

Does the engine smoke or make any funny noises when running?

Is it easy to start or hard?
  3. Midzic

Midzic New Member

I want this engine as a stand by engine for power and is skid mounted. When the load is 150 Amp the temperature is going up and by 300 Amp is a serious overheating and the temperature is increasing till the engine stops.
    The funny is the difference in the top and the bottom of the radiator is about 20°C. I shall run with the thermostats removed and in the same time testing at what temperature they will open.
    The engine is not smoking and is running smooth, also the engine starts very easy.
    I am grateful for your help K1W1. Thanks a lot.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I thought about a couple more things here.

Does the Radiator have a cowling on it around the Fan? It should.

Is it possible the Fan has been put on backwards? It should draw air in through the radiator and push it out towards the engine.

Do you know if the cooling system has been flushed out, if it has been standing for a long time there might be sludge in the system which is restricting the cooling.

Can it run all day long at 150 Amps and not overheat? I am assuming this is around 50% load but this is just a guess.

Do you own this engine or are you still looking at buying it?