Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Westport

Power steering

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by pvillar, Sep 10, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. pvillar

pvillar New Member

Anyone knows largest yacht (90-120') that uses Teleflex biggest Power steering system? (before needing to switch to Kobelt, Jastram or the like?
  2. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

3. pvillar

pvillar New Member

Thank you.
    I know their models.
    I'm looking for examples for comparison
    of what kind/size of yacht uses this "small"
    system before switching to different "Megayacht"
    systems that cost 3 times as much...
  4. Crglmb

Crglmb New Member

Seastar Power Steering

If you like, I can review your application and do a rudder torque calculation to see where you are at with torque. It’s pretty much all about torque, a pair of SS cylinder's produce 66000 in/lbs torque at 35* rudder. I have never really like the tables Teleflex publishes with standard, heavy duty and planing hulls as a guideline for determining a system. Yes, they say boats over 70' should be reviewed by the factory.
    I have not yet seen anything larger than 80-90' with the SS Power steering.
    We use to take Hynautic PSK-12 servo cylinder and drive 3-4" cylinders with it on a 100' yacht. This system is a load sense system and proved to be very robust. Teleflex is phasing out the Hynautic line; recently I called to get price and availability on the smaller PSK-10 servo and learned it was discontinued. That will prove to be a problem because Hatteras used that cylinder for many years. So, if your servo gets damaged beyond repair, guess what. You are buying a new SS Power steering cylinder instead of replacing the one servo. Not to mention some costly modification to boot.
    You can contact me and I will forward a rudder torque calculation sheet to you to fill out.

Best regards, Craig