Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

Bitumen Elastomer (polyurethane) Coating

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Aug 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Elastodeck, Elasto-deck bitumen elastomer coating

I spotted this posting by diwebb on another forum, and thought the subject deserved some separate attention. Does anyone else have experience with this, or similar materials.

Another thought was the possible use of a system I came up with for sheathing old wooden planked boats to prolong their useful lives. My proposal was to use Elastodeck BT as produced by Pacific Polymers in Garden Grove, California, in combination with a geotextile fabric in two overlapping layers. The Elatodeck is a water curing one pot modified bitumen elastomer and is suitable for permanent immersion, it is also relatively cheap ( ten years ago when I did the exercise it was about $16.00 per gallon, epoxy was about $100.00). In combination with the geotextile it produces a laminate that has the consistency of the sidewall of a car tyre and is fully adhered to the wood. Being a flexible membrane there is no problem with the wood moving.

This method of waterproofing could be used for wood construction from simple lumberyard materials and is much less demanding on good workmanship.

The Coastguard use a similar product to coat their steel sea buoys and these are only hauled every ten years for maintenance, and most of the buoys suffer no rust damage in that time, so the product is proven for marine use
  2. brian eiland

Many Thanks

Many Thanks!!! The internet site of the company is http://www.pacpoly.com. A lot of interesting products...example for a non skid deck of a dive boat, able to withstand the abuse of diving tanks.

The site is very informative.

Cheers, Ilan
  3. brian eiland

Adhesion Product from roofing industry

Now that you mention 'roofing' product it made me think back about another material that I was looking at for repairing plastic air bladders in certain style RIB's (Rigid Inflatable Boats)....I can't think of its name at this moment, but is was being highly touted for its fantastic 'adhesion properties'.
  4. brian eiland

Eternabond

Just found that info:
    Eternabond
    http://www.eternabond.com/

A family of sealants that contain no double bonds between carbon atoms, but are comprised of a single bond between carbon atoms which result in a molecular structure which is extremely stable, and is resistant to oxygen, ozone and heat.

MicroSealant tapes are formulated from synthetic rubbers (non-butyl) and resins, some versions integrate thermo plastics and all contain a proprietary built-in primer that facilitates instant bonding to most known materials used in traditional building envelope and roofing applications (except silicone).

Polyvinyl chloride, commonly known as PVC, is one of the most commonly used plastics in construction today. PVC is cheap to fabricate, extremely malleable and easy to assemble. To that end, PVC is often used in the construction of commercial roofs. In fact, with proper PVC roof repair and maintenance, the material has a long estimated lifespan and is well proven. Nevertheless, over time PVC has a tendency to shrink, pulling on the seams and potentially causing leaks. Some types of PVC are prone to shatter as they dry out, and in all cases aged PVC can be difficult to repair because it is difficult to weld and few sealants will adhere to it for any length of time. The same limitations and problems exist when a contractor makes a modification to an aged PVC roof.

However, there is recent technological break-through available that has been offering the professional roofing technician a solution to this problem. It is advanced MicroSealant technology. MicroSealant technology is a unique science which makes the sealant benign to most surfaces allowing it to fuse to the aged PVC. It is also environmentally stable, having a useful, installed life of 18 to 35 years depending on geographical location, and it has a 5 year shelf life. This MicroSealant has a brand name: "EternaBond." EternaBond, because of its unique chemistry, is able to fuse to almost any surface, including aged PVC, and as previously stated will last for years and years in all environments.
  5. tom dornhofer

tom dornhofer New Member

I grew up around wooden boats and started working in a boatyard when I was 15yrs old. I have seen all sorts of quick fixes for leaky boats. When launching in the spring, we used to put a can full of sawdust under the boat when it was just launched - (that's for the ones that we knew would swell up but didn't want to sit there and watch them.) I had a strip plank boat that I used to use "Slick Seam" on until it swelled - it worked great and I could also apply it on the inside of the hull for those places I missed!
    There was a commercial clamming oufit a few towns over that used to use coal tar on the bottoms of their boats that were not worth fixing properly (some of them were 100 yrs old). They only operated in shallow water and could easily raise the boat if it sunk. They used to call it the "Black Death" treatment, since the next stop for the boat was the firewood pile!
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes Tom,

My Stepdad used the same system of sawdust under the hull to fill seaming after a stay ashore, he started in a boatyard in 1938 and only just retired, so it must work!

When I was about 16 years old we had the first leak on the family boat in 35 years, so I was sent down with a bag of sweepings from the workshop. Swooshing the dustings under the problem, nothing happened. The old man worked out that modern power tools did not make sawdust fine enough or of the right structure, so we found some old hand-sawn dust and that did the trick.

I've worked in the industry at the more hi-tech end, but its good to remember the old stuff too.

Dave