Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Carburetor versus fuel injected engines

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pseudomind, Jul 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pseudomind

Pseudomind New Member

I know there are many carburetor engines in use, bu tI am curios to find out from those who have carburetors if they think they might prefer fuel injected engines on their next boat

I have been considering a 2001 Sea Ray 340 which has fuel injection and also looking at a 1998 Sea Ray 370 which has carburetors. I am just wonder if I should go wit the 340 and fuel injection over the 370 and carburetors. I know in the automotive industry fuel injection has been a big plus over carburetors.

I am just looking for some valid opinions from others.

Thanks
  2. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Without a doubt.
    We had a 27' Blackfin with twin 270 hp Crusaders, 350 cubic inch.
    We removed the carburetors and installed a fuel injection system, and updated the ignition to a MSD type with electronic ignition and distributor cap.
    The engines ran smoother, and made more power. We ended up re-propping because of all the extra torque, and the boat felt and handled much better than before the conversion.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Pseudo,
    Definitley fuel injection. You should see better out-of-the-hole accelleration and fuel economy. Just don't run out of fuel, as some systems are a pain to reprime. An injector releases the fuel directly into the cylinder, usuelly giving a cleaner burn (more horsepower). A carb delivers a metered amount of fuel into the intake manifold, then it travels to the cylinder. On some autos, even though it said fuel injected, they would have one injector srpaying into an intake manifold and not an injector for each cylinder. Repairs will be costly so make sure you use the proper fuel filters and change as noted.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Fuel injection has better economy, start ups and better running. But parts are more costly and there are more parts to fail over carberators. Something to keep in mind
  5. hardcrab

hardcrab New Member

Pseudo, injection all the way,just dont go with late 90s throttle body engines. They tend to run very rich at cold start & idle.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, the throttle body type is similar to watching your gas hurtle down an old Holley or Rochester 4 barrel, expensive.

Modern injection will pay for itself pretty darn quickly when running at WOT and also off the gas (well ,as cheaply as a pair of 5.7's can run cheaply, $2000 a month, weekending) The Sunseeker may just be up for sale shortly, I wonder why? :eek: