Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

Vacuum or compresed air Heads??

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tuglugs, Jul 22, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tuglugs

tuglugs New Member

Hi,
    not the most exciting topic, but horrid when it goes wrong!
    We are debating which system of heads is best - vacuum or compressed air (Microphor).
    On another track I read that the Microphor "flap" gets caked up with gunk that is difficult to clean and will smell, but am not sure if this applies to both systems.
    Any advice from anyone who has knowledge, good or bad, that might prevent me getting the rubber gloves out would be much appreciated.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What type of heads you use depends a lot on what end system you are using and how the boat is setup in relation to lift from lowest head to treatment tank etc

My favorite is the domestic one that flushes with about 5 gals of water through a 4" pipe. No modern boat builder seem to want to use these though not just because they tend to lose their water trap in heavy weather and become sewage tank vents helping to make even the hardiest crew queasy.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Vacuflush seems to be the most popular on smaller boats (under 60') and works quite well. There is an inline filter that is fun to replace though if you don't heed the full warning. However, I suspect that there may be limitations depending on the length of the run.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the inline filter isnt' specific to Vacuflush... it's a charcoal filter placed in the holding tank vent to eliminate odors outside the boat when you flush. it's used with most heads, not just VF, and is really part of the holding tank not the heads.

it's easy to change, just a couple of clamps and swap, it's on the vent so odors are minimal. Teh problem is when builders bury the darn thing in some impossible to reach spot!

i'm not familiar with compressed air heads... but I have 3 VF on my boat and have run many boats with them. they're great... the nice thing is that they are simple and even if something happens (bad vac switch, failing DB, etc...) you can often get them to work manually... The fanicer ones (OPUS) have electric valves and a flush handle instead of a pedal, just like a home toilet.

and when a female guest decide to flush a white tailed mouse despite the warnings, while unpleasant it's pretty easy to clear, unlike some other macerator styled system where the thing will jsut wrap around the first impeller it encounters....
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have had pretty good luck with the vaccuflush system over many years with many different yachts and it does work well in the under 70' range. However I also like the Headhunter system over the vaccuuflush and like that over the vaccuuflush system. But again, it depends on the yacht and holding tank system. It depends on the run of hose from the toilet to the holding tank etc. etc. etc. While the vaccuuflush system is pretty simple and easy to fix, a couple of things will happen to it. The bowl seal will leak eventually causing the unit to run all of the time, it's good to wipe superlube on it once a month (with rubber gloves on of course) and have a spare on hand. The pump motor can go bad as well but is an easy fix.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What is it exactly you like here?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I like Headhunter over vaccuuflush. It seems to hold up better and have more robust flushing power.
  8. oceaneer

oceaneer Member

Microphore.... Stay away..
    The Concept is quite poor and results in large messes when the system plugs and the guests keep shooting compressed air into the pipes!.. The principal is a low water flush that uses air to push the solids up or down the pipes. This results in no dilution of the solids and constant clogs. THe heads have lost of moving parts.. This is my least favorite system..

Vacuflush is a good system but is quite loud when flushed. The duck bill valves on the vacuum pumps do eventually clog up.. so make shure you locate them well and with shut off valves, so when you do service it you dont get covered.

THe head hunter system.. i have no hands on experience but many of my friends think that it is just the best and requires almost no maintenance.

My favorite system is EVAC which is another vacuum system.. but i usually only used on larger boars.. the Evac system coupled to Jets Discharge vacuumerator pumps is what we are currently running ( 165 foot feadship) and is bullet proof.

With all systems eventually a calcium build up will form on the inside of the pipes. This will cause frequent blockage. The best and least expensive fix is to have hot water flush / rinse option. the hot water dissolves the build up and keeps maintenance down.

oceaneer
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I had a Microphor system that was set up so the tapwater from the wash-basins were using the same pipes. Filled the tank up much faster but was flawless for five years. A couple of stops in the pipe was fixed by just flushing hot water from the tap. Only downside was that the air compressor could be heard if used in the middle of the night.
  10. clnewman

clnewman New Member

I currently have the Microphor system, and when it works, it's great. The trick is getting it fine tuned so it doesn't burp back at you or on your guests :eek: . Compressor operation can be minimized by the use of a higher volume air storage tank. The major down side is factory support... which is minimal.

Having had trouble tuning the system in one of the heads myself, I contacted the firm in San Diego specified by the factory, offered to pay time and materials to LA and back to give both heads a tuneup/rebuild as required, and they never returned my calls.

That said, any future boat I own will have electrics, each with a built-in macerator. Nothing fancy, common parts and relatively easy to repair.
  11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

tecma

i've been using tecma in my last 4 boats, very efficient and being stand alone units if you have a problem with one of them the others are still working.

http://www.tecma.net/nautica/index.html
  12. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I think I have had worked on just about all the major brands through out the industry. In my experience the brand that has caused me the least amount of problems and has been most dependable is the headhunter toilet system.
    The Microphors have been the most troublesom system as I have many of many of hours repairing them with many of many fond memories.
    But I tell you if I had a yacht I would want the Microphors. Why? Becuase they are the most quiet I have seen so far and can be flushed with out waking up half the boat in the middle of the night. And plus if I had a yacht, some one else would be doing the repairs :)